Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
Remember that we already have initiated the following protocol:

140 or more PAID riders = Full ROR Payout

120 - 139 PAID riders = 1/2 ROR Payout

119 or fewer PAID riders = NO ROR Payout

I'm not suggesting this is the end-all, but it is a move we made mid season to help balance out a bit. Depending on what happens with the ROR classes, we DEFINITELY should look at the payout amounts and make adjustments accordingly - perhaps still keeping the above in place, even with a reduced payout?

After looking at what the AFM pays their guys (for example) I'd say we're EXTREMELY generous with our payout in the MRA. Their Formula Pacific pays 5 deep, and the TOTAL payout is only $1000. Also note that the entirety of the cash payout for their classes is provided by the class sponsor, NOT by the AFM itself...

http://www.afmracing.org/content/view/54/73/

As far as "what we're getting for our money with the payouts" - I guess the argument could be that we're attracting the top talent from the region to compete in our premier class. The question becomes, would they come anyway simply for the championship (not to mention the contingency money they make in the other manufacturer supported classes)?

The better answer, however, is probably "well, this is what we've always done and it's worked pretty well until now..."

Until now. :?
I see that we had to alter the payout schedule mid stream for 2009, but I have to say as a racer I would HATE that system. If I signed up for ROR on a given weekend and THOUGHT I could go in the top 5 only to discover that 119 riders showed up that weekend AFTER I had committed to buying tires, fuel etc for an ROR type race I would be really disappointed.

I think the way for the MRA to move forward is to continue on a reduced ROR payout schedule, but have that schedule be posted up front. No changes on race day/ weekend.

One way to accomplish this is that we take ROR U completely away (along with it's payouts) Let the fast 600 guys race in ROR (the race formerly known as ROR-O). Dalton proved pretty well that a fast guy on a 600 can be competitive in that class at the last round.

Then we have a payout schedule that is reduced by 35%-40% and can put that money towards a reserve fund for the MRA to fall back upon given a tough race weekend or season. I would support a 20K -40K reserve (cost of 1-2 race weekends if NO ONE shows up). Once that reserve is met and maintained we can again talk about increasing payouts.

I too looked at the AFM for an example and gathered some additional information:

Now, be aware that the AFM has about 1200 members, and we have about 250


Race license
AFM $140
MRA $150

First Race Entry
AFM $ 75
MRA $160

Race 2 Entry
AFM $ 50
MRA $ 40

Race 3 Entry
AFM $ 50
MRA $ 30

Race 4 Entry
AFM $ 50
MRA $ 20

So for a racer to race in the MRA 4 races a weekend the difference is only $25 from AFM. MRA rewards multiple race riders, AFM encourages single race riders. A different philosophy that gets roughly the same result. The difference is that the AFM is retaining the entry fees and the MRA is paying them out to competitors in ROR.

It is also worth noting that the AFM offers payout from sponsors in multiple classes, including a 250 spec class and a 600 production class.

I'm all for a greatly reduced ROR payout scheudle, but I don't race ROR, so I'm not really affected.

From what I can tell no current competitor in ROR has chimed in on this subject. PLEASE let us know what you guys think!