Thread: 2022 Rule Change Suggestions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Amateur Jim Brewer's Avatar
    Suggested addition to section 11 ..

11.2.J. Complimentary Race Entries

1. All board members and the current #1 plate holder receive complimentary practice & entry fees.
    2. For non-racing board positions, family members may use this benefit after receiving full board approval.
      1. If an approved non-board member uses a board member's complimentary entry fees, $100 will be deducted from that board member's pay for the weekend.
      2. The board member may not sell or receive other compensation or barter for complimentary entries.
      3. The intention of this benefit is to alleviate the impact MRA board positions have on families, not as additional board member compensation.

3. Gridding positions and late entry penalties described in 11.2.A-D apply to complimentary entries.
    4. Class surcharges described in 11.2.F and 11.2.G. will also apply to complimentary entries.
    5. Licensing requirements of section 10.2. apply to complimentary entries.
    6. Approved complimentary entry fees need to be used on the race weekend and cannot be saved or used at a later date.
    7. A list of complimentary entries for each weekend will be available to all MRA members on request.
      1. The list of complimentary entries will be created by the secretary at the beginning of the year.
      2. Changes to the list during the year after full board approval will be maintained by the secretary.
      3. Rider reps will have the responsibility to review the approved complimentary entry list against motorsportreg entries as part of the financial review process.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brewer View Post
    Suggested addition to section 11 ..

11.2.J. Complimentary Race Entries

1. All board members and the current #1 plate holder receive complimentary practice & entry fees.
    2. For non-racing board positions, family members may use this benefit after receiving full board approval.
      1. If an approved non-board member uses a board member's complimentary entry fees, $100 will be deducted from that board member's pay for the weekend.
      2. The board member may not sell or receive other compensation or barter for complimentary entries.
      3. The intention of this benefit is to alleviate the impact MRA board positions have on families, not as additional board member compensation.

3. Gridding positions and late entry penalties described in 11.2.A-D apply to complimentary entries.
    4. Class surcharges described in 11.2.F and 11.2.G. will also apply to complimentary entries.
    5. Licensing requirements of section 10.2. apply to complimentary entries.
    6. Approved complimentary entry fees need to be used on the race weekend and cannot be saved or used at a later date.
    7. A list of complimentary entries for each weekend will be available to all MRA members on request.
      1. The list of complimentary entries will be created by the secretary at the beginning of the year.
      2. Changes to the list during the year after full board approval will be maintained by the secretary.
      3. Rider reps will have the responsibility to review the approved complimentary entry list against motorsportreg entries as part of the financial review process.

I am happy to see this suggestion. I was about to submit a similar suggestion. Perhaps modify "family member" to spouse/partner? Racers that are not immediate family members of board members have received free racing in the past, and it doesn't quite pass the smell test. Especially if the club is trying to be fiscally responsible.
    John McKown
    MRA #15 Expert

Senior Member Amateur Jim Brewer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    Perhaps modify "family member" to spouse/partner? Racers that are not immediate family members of board members have received free racing in the past, and it doesn't quite pass the smell test. Especially if the club is trying to be fiscally responsible.
    I completely agree with your sentiment. The only reason I didn't propose "spouse/partner(/SO?)" was in case we wanted to extend this "impact alleviation" to a son or daughter. But I could then see it starting to go off the rails with cousins, brothers, etc.

Certainly the wording of this is worth discussion. Anyone else want to chime in?

Junior Member Novice
    I completely agree with your sentiment. The only reason I didn't propose "spouse/partner(/SO?)" was in case we wanted to extend this "impact alleviation" to a son or daughter. But I could then see it starting to go off the rails with cousins, brothers, etc.

Certainly the wording of this is worth discussion. Anyone else want to chime in?
    I agree with this changing to say "Immediate Family Members" from "Family Members. The legal defination of Immediate family members, according to the law, include one's spouse, children, parents, grandparents, siblings, as well as one's in-laws. It also includes adopted children and stepchildren also are usually included in the definition. In Colorado, partners from same-sex marriages or civil unions also are considered immediate family.

President Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    I am happy to see this suggestion. I was about to submit a similar suggestion. Perhaps modify "family member" to spouse/partner? Racers that are not immediate family members of board members have received free racing in the past, and it doesn't quite pass the smell test. Especially if the club is trying to be fiscally responsible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Attridgekl View Post
    I agree with this changing to say "Immediate Family Members" from "Family Members. The legal defination of Immediate family members, according to the law, include one's spouse, children, parents, grandparents, siblings, as well as one's in-laws. It also includes adopted children and stepchildren also are usually included in the definition. In Colorado, partners from same-sex marriages or civil unions also are considered immediate family.
    If racers received free racing from a board member's comp then it was prior to 2009. Former President, Tony Baker, enacted the operational procedure within the Board back when I was still VP that only family members could use a board member's comp'd racing credit and that has been the case up until events of the current season . If board members did not use their comp, they would receive an additional $100 in pay for that weekend.

And I agree that it needs to be specifically spelled out in the rulebook.
    Last edited by JimWilson29; October 13th, 2021 at 08:54 PM.

Senior Member Amateur VeronicaVaughn's Avatar

I'm with John, I think it should be spouse/partner/SO. If we go down the route of immediate family member, then I agree with J. Brewer, it can get a little out of hand.

Arguably, both of these positions will likely be filled by a racer's wife or girlfriend (not always, but most likely). So if we say family member, then a partner or significant other would be excluded because they are not married?

Otherwise, I would suggest a modification to Brewer's rule change addition to section 11 that the secretary and treasurer change from non-racing to racing positions if it gets changed to "immediate family member."
    Last edited by VeronicaVaughn; October 13th, 2021 at 11:02 PM.
    Tiffany Maestas
    PKA #282
    2020 MRA Treasurer