Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Rule Change Suggestions

Senior Member Amateur Jim Brewer's Avatar

2022 Rule Change Suggestions

see below ..
    Last edited by Jim Brewer; September 13th, 2021 at 09:59 PM.

Member Amateur
    13.1.J. for kids on wheels for the entire weekend. I submit that they are allowed on wheels before track goes hot in the mornings, during lunch break while track is cold, and then again at the end of each race day once the track is cold.

I would like to submit to have qualifying for all expert races to be completed during the final practice sessions.

9.5.N. I submit to remove the section about the race director making the decision to continue the race after a race has completed more than half of the race laps or time and if it is red flagged past halfway the race is called as is at start finish. Allowing for a decision to be made affects all riders and tire temps, and bike temps. It should be a firm rule, period.
    Jared Dear - MRA #48

Quik Cycles, Sol Performance, Pirelli tires

Junior Member Novice
    Proposed change to Modern Vintage eligibility:

A model is eligible 10 year from LAST year of production of said model motorcycle

3.7.B. (Modern Vintage)

Current wording:
    Modern Vintage motorcycles must use a frame and engine case 15 years old or older, as determined by manufacturer’s model year. Example: for 2021, the manufacturer’s model year must be 2006 or older.

Proposed wording:
    Modern Vintage motorcycles must use a frame and engine case from manufacturer’s model year 2005 or older.
    Last edited by Spiderman; September 14th, 2021 at 10:51 AM.
    Bob - #46
    MRA President (2024) - Vice President (2022-2023)
    "Racing makes heroin addiction seem like a vague wish for something salty." - Peter Egan
    Colorado Sportbike Club | 4 Horsemen Racing | R.I.P. 502
    Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end!

Junior Member Novice

Middleweight classes displacement adjustment

I propose that all middleweight class cc limits be adjusted to allow for Triumph's new Triple cylinder displacement of 765cc. This popular new displacement is just a continuation of the 675 engine and is being adopted into middleweight classes worldwide.

Existing class definitions to be modified:
    2.15.C. Middleweight Supersport • Up to 750cc three cylinder, four stroke.
    3.3.C. Middleweight Superbike • Up to 750cc three cylinder, four stroke, three or more valves per cylinder.
    4.2.B. Middleweight Endurance • Up to 750cc three cylinder, four stroke, three or more valves per cylinder.
    4.2.G. Formula 40 GTU, Race of the Rockies GTU • Up to 750cc three cylinder, four stroke, four or more valves per cylinder.
    3.3.E. Novice GTU, Amateur GTU, Modern Vintage GTU • Up to 750cc three cylinder, four stroke, four or more valves per cylinder.
    John Beldock
    www.ericomotorsports.com
    Ducati-Triumph-Vespa-Aprilia
    Bimota-Moto Guzzi-Piaggio

Senior Member Expert
    Thanks for submitting your proposals for 2022 Rulebook changes.

President Expert
    Thanks Jim Brewer and Chris Nami for getting the rule change suggestions going. The membership will look forward to the rule change meeting sometime next month and a finalized 2022 Rule Book published timely for next season.
    Last edited by JimWilson29; September 17th, 2021 at 12:15 PM.
    MRA #29

Senior Member Expert
    I would like propose that once the rule book is released to the membership no changes will be allowed until the next rule change suggestion period
    Imperial Sportbikes | Performance Cycle | Galfer | Factory Effex | Motorex | AXO | Racer Gloves USA | | Woodcraft | Armour Bodies | Driven

Quote Originally Posted by jbeldock View Post
    I propose that all middleweight class cc limits be adjusted to allow for Triumph's new Triple cylinder displacement of 765cc. This popular new displacement is just a continuation of the 675 engine and is being adopted into middleweight classes worldwide.

Existing class definitions to be modified:
    2.15.C. Middleweight Supersport • Up to 750cc three cylinder, four stroke.
    3.3.C. Middleweight Superbike • Up to 750cc three cylinder, four stroke, three or more valves per cylinder.
    4.2.B. Middleweight Endurance • Up to 750cc three cylinder, four stroke, three or more valves per cylinder.
    4.2.G. Formula 40 GTU, Race of the Rockies GTU • Up to 750cc three cylinder, four stroke, four or more valves per cylinder.
    3.3.E. Novice GTU, Amateur GTU, Modern Vintage GTU • Up to 750cc three cylinder, four stroke, four or more valves per cylinder.
    Trying to sell some new bikes? (This is a joke, not a jab... couldn't help but notice your signature)

While I'm not opposed to this change, I think it's worth some thought. The targeted model with this change is the older Triumph 675, which is nearly 100cc below the new 765cc. If this is allowed, I think it would be fair to allow a similar change for twins up to 900cc to allow folks to bring the Ducati 899 to the party as well, which is only 50cc over its predecessor, the 848, not 90cc as with the Triumph. In the hands of a competent tuner, I think that either the 765 or the 899 could be made untouchable by the Japanese 600's on the straights by a fair margin. Furthermore, it would legalize the Triumph Moto2 replica bike which, on paper, seems like someone with enough money could bring as a ringer. This could have negative financial implications on what it would take to be competitive in this class in a sport that's already a complete drain on the wallet. My $.02.

As someone who has personally experienced brake fade on a motorcycle at a track, I think this rule ought to be revised. The CBR600RR is limited to 310mm rotors which is completely inadequate for racing for riders at and above the 200 lb weight (trust me..). I'm sure there are other models that suffer similarly.

Current rule:

2.5.A. Brake rotors may be replaced with aftermarket products of OEM material- steel, or iron, but must have the same outside diameter as the OEM part.

Proposed rule:

2.5.A. Brake rotors may be replaced with aftermarket products of OEM material- steel, or iron, but must have the same or larger outside diameter as the OEM part.

A few notes:

-The spirit of the rule is for safety, not performance. Brake fade sucks, it's dangerous, and rotor diameter (and mass) is one of the most effective ways to mitigate its effects
    -Larger diameter rotors have more mass and larger rotational inertia, both of which are bad for acceleration in a straight line and in yaw so, again, this is intended to be about safety, not performance
    -I proposed this last year (or maybe it was 2019??) and it got rejected. If it's rejected again this year, I'd like to know why a rule intended to increase safety with no quantifiable performance benefit (other than making braking systems reliable for racing) has been rejected multiple times

10.15.F.
    Summary: increase the price to “purchase” novice hours to $50 per hour.

Current wording:
    For the purposes of this section ‘community service’ may include but not be confined to scorekeeping, approved event participation, or any other service as defined and approved by the Board. Attending a general meeting will equate to one half hour of community service up to a maximum of two hours. You also have the option to “purchase” your service hours for a payment of $25.00 per hour to the MRA. All novice hour requirements must be met within ten (10) days of the final race of the season.

Proposed wording:
    For the purposes of this section ‘community service’ may include but not be confined to scorekeeping, approved event participation, or any other service as defined and approved by the Board. Attending a general meeting will equate to one half hour of community service up to a maximum of two hours. You also have the option to “purchase” your service hours for a payment of $50.00 per hour to the MRA. All novice hour requirements must be met within ten (10) days of the final race of the season.
    Last edited by Spiderman; October 8th, 2021 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Added current & proposed rule wording
    Bob - #46
    MRA President (2024) - Vice President (2022-2023)
    "Racing makes heroin addiction seem like a vague wish for something salty." - Peter Egan
    Colorado Sportbike Club | 4 Horsemen Racing | R.I.P. 502
    Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end!

Suggested addition to section 11 ..

11.2.J. Complimentary Race Entries

1. All board members and the current #1 plate holder receive complimentary practice & entry fees.
    2. For non-racing board positions, family members may use this benefit after receiving full board approval.
      1. If an approved non-board member uses a board member's complimentary entry fees, $100 will be deducted from that board member's pay for the weekend.
      2. The board member may not sell or receive other compensation or barter for complimentary entries.
      3. The intention of this benefit is to alleviate the impact MRA board positions have on families, not as additional board member compensation.

3. Gridding positions and late entry penalties described in 11.2.A-D apply to complimentary entries.
    4. Class surcharges described in 11.2.F and 11.2.G. will also apply to complimentary entries.
    5. Licensing requirements of section 10.2. apply to complimentary entries.
    6. Approved complimentary entry fees need to be used on the race weekend and cannot be saved or used at a later date.
    7. A list of complimentary entries for each weekend will be available to all MRA members on request.
      1. The list of complimentary entries will be created by the secretary at the beginning of the year.
      2. Changes to the list during the year after full board approval will be maintained by the secretary.
      3. Rider reps will have the responsibility to review the approved complimentary entry list against motorsportreg entries as part of the financial review process.

Suggestion for Section 12 ..

Other race (and not-for-profit) organizations have expanded their social media policies to include a code of conduct. These address things like conflicts of interest, treatment of sponsors & vendors, social media, disclosure of club financial information, etc.

12.1.G. Racers are expected to read and understand the MRA Electronic/Social Media Policies as posted on the MRA website. ...

change to

12.1.G. Racers are expected to read and understand the MRA Code of Conduct as posted on the MRA website. ...

The Code of Conduct (to be created) will start off with the current social media policies and will add items mentioned above in addition to encompassing a broader range of communication mechanisms.
    We will have the Code of Conduct reviewed by the board and by legal council before adopting it with a board vote.

Example
    https://www.ahrma.org/member-code-of-conduct/
    Last edited by Jim Brewer; October 1st, 2021 at 10:09 AM.

Policy clarification (to be included somewhere in the rulebook or MRA policy definitions)

Pay Policy - Anyone fulfilling the duties of a MRA Staff or Board position during a race weekend shall be paid for that position as defined in the MRA Master Pay Schedule regardless of club membership status.
    • Associate Members, Licensed Racers, Board Members, and non-members (family or friends) are considered equal in terms of pay eligibility.

• For partial time substitution, pay will be pro-rated based on the time on duty.
    • Pay levels will not be downgraded for higher paid staff members substituting to do lower scoped jobs.
      • Complimentary entries and per-diem are also not downgraded.

• Examples
      • A racer's daughter (non-member) fills in for office assistant for the entire weekend. The daughter should receive the office assistant pay and travel per-diem.
      • A corner worker (associate member) fills in for pre-grid on Sunday. The corner worker should receive one-day pay and one-day travel per-diem at the pre-grid (higher) pay level.
      • Rider Rep - Trophies/Sponsorship drives the MRA truck from HPR to PPIR/PMP. The Rider Rep should be paid the Pay Schedule rate for driving the truck.
      • President substitutes for corner worker all day Saturday. The President will retain his/her pay and per-diem - they will not be downgraded.
      • Rider Rep - Rulebook substitutes for back-up manual score keeper on Sunday. The Rider Rep - Rulebook receives back-up manual score keeper pay for one day and retains complimentary entry and per-diem eligibility.

The intent of this policy is to equitably compensate anyone willing to step up and help the MRA when needed.

Rule Addition: Registration Payment Processing Fee

New Rule:
    I propose an addition to Section 11.2 - Registration fees that are not paid through MotorsportReg will be assessed an additional $25 MRA processing fee in addition to any other fee(s). Registrations that are not paid through MotorsportReg will be considered a late registration entry (see Section 11.2.B). Payment methods made outside of MotorsportReg can be made at the discretion of the MRA Treasurer. No exceptions will be made.

Reasoning:
    We switched our system over to MotorsportReg in 2021 and one of the big reasons was to help reduce the administrative workload on the board. In order to allow racers to pay with another means (ex. cash) outside of MotorsportReg it creates additional administrative work for the board both on and off race weekends. This rule addition would allow racers to pay for entry fees with other means (other than through MotorsportReg) but would incentivize them to sign up and pay with MotorsportReg.
    #.223
    Sponsors: 'El Jefe' - Yippee Dog Bite Vinyl - Dunlop Tires
    Roadracing since 2013
    2021 MRA Vice President
    2020 MRA Vice President
    2019 MRA Rider Rep - Trophies & Class Sponsorship
    2018 MRA Rider Rep - Trophies & Class Sponsorship

Rule Change: Increasing Late Fee to $40
    I propose a change to Section 11.2.B

Current rule:
    Late registration entries may still be made on MotorsportsReg at any time up to the registration cutoff time of 8:15 am the day of the event, but entries received after the early registration deadline will be assessed a $20 late fee and the entrant will be gridded at the rear of the class on a first come, first served basis. No exceptions will be made.

Proposed rule:
    Late registration entries may still be made on MotorsportsReg at any time up to the registration cutoff time of 8:15 am the day of the event, but entries received after the early registration deadline will be assessed a $40 late fee and the entrant will be gridded at the rear of the class on a first come, first served basis. No exceptions will be made.

Reasoning:

With MotorsportReg registration no longer needs to be "closed" or "taken offline" after pre-registration ends on Monday evening prior to an event. Registration is left open until 8:15am on race day and late registrants get assessed an automatic late fee starting on Tuesday prior to an event. So there is plenty of time to get registered prior to the race weekend. The purpose of this rule change is to increase the incentive for racers to pre-register for the following reasons -

1. Reducing traffic in the race day office on Saturday and Sunday mornings.
    2. Incentivising pre-registration should help the board have a better outlook of the potential signups going into a race weekend.
    3. Puts a little more money in the MRA's bucket thanks to the procrastinators.
    #.223
    Roadracing since 2013
    2021 MRA Vice President
    2020 MRA Vice President

Rule Change: Superstreet & Associate Memberships
    I propose a change to Section 7.3.D

Current Rule:
    A Single Event Superstreet License will be included in the entry fees. An Associate Membership will be included with your entry fees at your first event of the season.

Proposed Rule Change #1:
    Eliminate this rule all together

Proposed Rule Change #2:
    If a Superstreet rider purchases an Associate Membership they will be given a $25 credit towards an entry to a Superstreet event.

Reasoning:
    This rule was added several years back to satisfy an IRS rule related to how much revenue was allowed from non-member sources for a 501c7. This IRS rule has since changed. Just giving Superstreet riders an Associate Membership for signing up doesn't really engage Superstreet riders in actually being a member of the MRA. In most cases they don't even know about it or what it means to be a member of the MRA. This also allows someone 'nefarious' to potentially campaign superstreet riders to influence MRA elections.
    Last edited by Phil795; October 6th, 2021 at 11:15 AM.
    #.223
    Roadracing since 2013
    2021 MRA Vice President
    2020 MRA Vice President

Member Amateur
    Proposed change to ROR payout:

I would like to suggest that the current payout to the Top 10 Overall ROR riders be changed to the Top 5 RORO and the Top 5 RORU riders.

-Brittany Morrison
    Last edited by Bmorr127; October 6th, 2021 at 11:04 AM.

Member Amateur
    Proposed change to the MRA Contribution for the ROR payout.

I suggest that we stop deciding how much the MRA pays into the ROR purse money depending on weekend sign ups and revert back to contributing the full amount. My reasoning for this change is that we need to invest in our members way more than we do in order to see a better turn out overall. You take money away or stop investing in the members, it will deter them from wanting to sign up and race with the MRA.

-Brittany Morrison

Member Amateur
    I want to also propose a rule change to allow all classes to run a larger aftermarket radiator. Cvma now allows this and others clubs are beginning to adapt to this. It doesn't add power but allows for make reliability and less engine failures.

Quote Originally Posted by Redline View Post
    13.1.J. for kids on wheels for the entire weekend. I submit that they are allowed on wheels before track goes hot in the mornings, during lunch break while track is cold, and then again at the end of each race day once the track is cold.

I would like to submit to have qualifying for all expert races to be completed during the final practice sessions.

9.5.N. I submit to remove the section about the race director making the decision to continue the race after a race has completed more than half of the race laps or time and if it is red flagged past halfway the race is called as is at start finish. Allowing for a decision to be made affects all riders and tire temps, and bike temps. It should be a firm rule, period.

Great ideas.
    John McKown
    MRA #15 Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brewer View Post
    Suggested addition to section 11 ..

11.2.J. Complimentary Race Entries

1. All board members and the current #1 plate holder receive complimentary practice & entry fees.
    2. For non-racing board positions, family members may use this benefit after receiving full board approval.
      1. If an approved non-board member uses a board member's complimentary entry fees, $100 will be deducted from that board member's pay for the weekend.
      2. The board member may not sell or receive other compensation or barter for complimentary entries.
      3. The intention of this benefit is to alleviate the impact MRA board positions have on families, not as additional board member compensation.

3. Gridding positions and late entry penalties described in 11.2.A-D apply to complimentary entries.
    4. Class surcharges described in 11.2.F and 11.2.G. will also apply to complimentary entries.
    5. Licensing requirements of section 10.2. apply to complimentary entries.
    6. Approved complimentary entry fees need to be used on the race weekend and cannot be saved or used at a later date.
    7. A list of complimentary entries for each weekend will be available to all MRA members on request.
      1. The list of complimentary entries will be created by the secretary at the beginning of the year.
      2. Changes to the list during the year after full board approval will be maintained by the secretary.
      3. Rider reps will have the responsibility to review the approved complimentary entry list against motorsportreg entries as part of the financial review process.

I am happy to see this suggestion. I was about to submit a similar suggestion. Perhaps modify "family member" to spouse/partner? Racers that are not immediate family members of board members have received free racing in the past, and it doesn't quite pass the smell test. Especially if the club is trying to be fiscally responsible.
    John McKown
    MRA #15 Expert

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    Perhaps modify "family member" to spouse/partner? Racers that are not immediate family members of board members have received free racing in the past, and it doesn't quite pass the smell test. Especially if the club is trying to be fiscally responsible.
    I completely agree with your sentiment. The only reason I didn't propose "spouse/partner(/SO?)" was in case we wanted to extend this "impact alleviation" to a son or daughter. But I could then see it starting to go off the rails with cousins, brothers, etc.

Certainly the wording of this is worth discussion. Anyone else want to chime in?

Quote Originally Posted by Redline View Post
    Personally, I think we should keep the rule as is which allows Race Director discretion. I think it better serves the club's goal of enabling racers to race as much as possible.
    Also, the Race Director is almost always aware of tire, engine, and track temps - and if not, I have heard Katie providing good reminders.

At minimum, I would hope this wouldn't apply to endurance races.
    Last edited by Jim Brewer; October 6th, 2021 at 07:31 PM.

Senior Member Expert
    Thank you everyone for getting involved in contributing to suggestions/proposals for rule changes and operating procedures.
    A friendly reminder that this proposal period will end on October 13th, 2021 during the general meeting.
    Dennis Stowers MRA #151
    2021-2023 MRA BoD Rider Representative - Rulebook
    Absolute Moto-Michelin
    Speedin' Motorsports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast