Bring up Glenn's suggestion from last year about point paid out.

I propose a change to section 7.3 Point Awards.

I think our current points system makes it too easy for championships to be locked up and out of reach prior to the end of the season. Under the current points system there is a 17% gap from 1st to 2nd and a 63% gap from 1st to 10th. This is too great a disparity to foster close competition.

It's my understanding that the current system was put in place in order to encourage participation (and financial contribution to the club) by:

1) Awarding points further down in the standings, so that riders in 16th and below actually got points rather than getting zero (as it was under the old system)
2) Encouraging championship contenders to return after a crash/DNF by increasing the rewards of the higher finishes other than the crash/DNF

If the goal is to keep participants coming back, then I agree that we need to award points beyond 15th place. However, I would argue that once a championship is clinched there is far less incentive for ANYONE in the class to continue showing up and spending money. If the goal is to keep people participating (and therefore spending money), then the points should be such that it's harder, not easier, to clinch a championship prior to the final round.

I propose that section 7.3 read as follows:

1st - 40
2nd - 36
3rd - 33
4th - 31
5th - 29
6th - 27
7th - 25
8th - 23
9th - 22
10th - 21
11th - 20
12th - 19
13th - 18
14th - 17
15th - 16
16th - 15
17th - 14
18th - 13
19th - 12
20th - 11
21st - 10
22nd - 9
23rd - 8
24th - 7
25th - 6
26th - 5
27th - 4
28th - 3
29th - 2
30th - 1

This system still provides points and incentives to those that finish below 15th. However instead of the 17% gap to 2nd place and the 63% gap to 10th place, there is a 10% gap to 2nd and a 47% gap to 10th.

I studied the points of two very competitive classes in the MRA - MWSS and RoR Overall. Under the current points, both championships are clinched, the last round doesn't matter. Under the proposed system, however, in both classes not only would 2nd place have a mathematical shot at championship, but the 3rd place participant would only be a single point out of mathematical contention in the final round.

If you want to keep people coming back, and thereby keep the club healthy, then we need to keep more participants "in the hunt" so that the last round actually matters.