Thread: Rulebook Rule Change Proposals for 2025

Senior Member Expert

Rulebook Rule Change Proposals for 2025

**The Rule Change Proposal period has now ended.
    Thank you so much for everyone's engagement in continued improvement in MRA competition.**

MRA Rulebook rule change proposals for 2025

Proposals/suggestions for the 2025 Rulebook are now open 8/11/24 and will be accepted until 11:59PM Wednesday September 11th (rule change proposals will not be accepted after 23:59hrs on September 11th).

Written rule change proposals can be submitted via email to Dennis Stowers, or any rider representative, or Dustin- VP Rules and Tech. The preferred method would be for racers to submit rule change proposals via the rule changes for 2025 thread under the Rules and Tech category on the MRA forums here (http://forums.mra-racing.org/showthr...osals-for-2025
    ).

The rule change meeting will possibly take place on October 12th, from 10AM until 2PM. October 26th is a likely date... *The date, time, and location to be determined.

The rule change meeting is open to all members and will be held to discuss the proposed 2024 rule changes. The members attending this meeting will be encouraged to give input on the changes that will be presented to the MRA board for approval. Finalized rule changes for the 2025 season should be firmed up by the end of the year.

When making your suggestion, be sure to cite the existing rule and what changes you are suggesting. If it is a new rule, please use the exact wording you would like to appear at the rule change meeting and possibly the rulebook.

If you want to further discuss your rule change proposal, you may also start a separate thread in the Rules and Tech category on the forum.

There is a second thread following all of these same guidelines. It's for class changes and therefore related itinerary changes.

If you have any questions please contact Dennis Stowers rulebook.mra@gmail.com
    Last edited by Fastt Racing; 4 Hours Ago at 10:51 PM.
    Dennis Stowers MRA #151
    2021-2023 MRA BoD Rider Representative - Rulebook
    Absolute Moto-Michelin
    Speedin' Motorsports

Junior Member Novice
    New Rule

All corner stations need to be manned by a minimum of one dedicated corner worker. When manpower does not alot for all stations to be manned, one of two (or a combination of both) situations may occur at the boards discretion:
    1) A different configuration of the course allowing all corners to be manned may be used
    2) Board members will be volunteered by the race director to fill empty corner stations until all corners are manned.

Reason:
    We have had many incidents overlooked in the past two season by corner workers; we are asking too much from them when they are expected to cover more than one corner. The corner stations were placed around the track strategically to be most effective. We are already participating in a dangerous sport, we should do what we can to make it as safe as possible.

Junior Member Novice
    New Rule

No distractions (i.e. phones, books, etc) for corner workers while bikes are on the track

Reason: Corner workers are the guardians of the track, with distractions in the station, they easily overlook situations such as bikes being on track in poor condition (smoking, equipment hanging, etc) and other incidents - we want 100% concentration on the riders and their safety while they are on track
    Last edited by SethIMcClaine; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:03 AM.

Junior Member Novice
    New Rule

No motors, gas, electric or otherwise (this includes e-bikes), on the track while track is cold.

Reason: This is a policy that HPR practices to help prevent the potential of someone getting injured on the track when no one is around. It is also part of their insurance policy agreement

Junior Member Novice
    New Policy

1st call when 1st racer crosses white flag
    2nd call when last racer finish or when crash cart has all downed bikes loaded
    3rd call when all bikes are clear of track grid leaves 90 (negotiable) seconds after 3rd call

Reason: Calls are very inconsistent in the paddock. As a racer I find it hard to judge how much time I have between calls, most importantly how long I have after 3rd call, as I want to time it so I'm not sitting on pregrid for long to keep heat in the tires.
    Last edited by SethIMcClaine; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:03 AM.

Junior Member Novice
    Rule Edit

15.9.J. All crew members over the wall must be: 16 years or older, wearing -close toed +fully enclosed shoes, long trousers (pants) and all cotton clothing (no tank tops, cropped
    shirts, or exposed “Under Armour” polyester type base layer material allowed,
    unless otherwise instructed during the

Reason: There was a situation this season where someone was told their closed toed shoes were not properly suited for being on pit wall, while I was told mine (crocs) were fine. Let's remove this level of discrepancy by requiring more than what is necessary.

** UPDATE **
    This rule suggestion was originally made due to the reason above. After talking to a few people it has come to my attention the rule around shoes only applies to crew members during the endurance races, there does not seem to be a rule enforcing footwear for individuals over the wall outside of the endurance race. While I do still think the above rule adjustment should be made, I suggest an additional rule If we want to enforce shoe selection:

All persons over the wall must be wearing fully enclosed shoes.
    Last edited by SethIMcClaine; 6 Days Ago at 05:13 PM.

Junior Member Novice
    New Rule (In conjunction with rule ​15.9.J.)

Anyone over the wall must be wearing fully enclosed shoes

Reason: There was a situation this season where someone was told their closed toed shoes were not properly suited for being on pit wall, while I was told mine (crocs) were fine. Let's remove this level of discrepancy by requiring more than what is necessary.

Correction/Clarification - Rule 9.1.B
    Reason: the board at Start/Finish does not have the words "Jump Start Penalty"

Current wording:
    Jump Start Notification: A stationary “Jump Start Penalty +12” board
    displaying the rider(s) number will be shown at start/finish for 3 laps. The
    offending rider(s) may continue their race. All offending riders will be assessed
    a penalty of 12 seconds at the end of the race.
    Proposed wording:
    Jump Start Notification: A board displaying the rider(s) number and
    "+12" will be shown at start/finish for 3 laps. The offending rider(s) may
    continue their race. All offending riders will be assessed a penalty of 12
    seconds at the end of the race.
    Bob - #46
    MRA President (2024) - Vice President (2022-2023)
    "Racing makes heroin addiction seem like a vague wish for something salty." - Peter Egan
    Colorado Sportbike Club | 4 Horsemen Racing | R.I.P. 502
    Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end!

Rule 9.5.L Change Suggestion

Current wording:
    The start shall be a full-stop start. Riders who are not properly staged at the
    race start when the starting light is extinguished (or green flag is waved), will
    be assessed a time penalty of 12 seconds. A rider is considered properly staged
    if the front axle is behind but no more than 18” behind the designated row line
    and the front wheel, as well as their motorcycle, is at a complete stop. A rider is
    considered improperly staged, and to have jumped the start when, in the
    judgement of MRA Officials there was movement before the starting light was
    extinguished that may have created an advantage for said racer.
    Proposed wording:
    The start shall be a full-stop start. Riders who are not properly staged at the
    race start when the starting light is extinguished (or green flag is waved), will
    be assessed a time penalty as defined below. A rider is considered properly staged
    if the front axle is behind but no more than 18” behind the designated row line
    and the front wheel, as well as their motorcycle, is at a complete stop. A rider is
    considered improperly staged, and to have jumped the start when, in the
    judgement of MRA Officials there was movement before the starting light was
    extinguished that may have created an advantage for said racer.
    9.5.L.a Riders will receive a 6 second penalty if they are improperly staged after the red light is illuminated (or green flag is raised).
    9.5.L.b Riders will receive a 12 second penalty if they jump the start before the red light is illuminated (or green flag is raised).
    9.5.L.c Riders who jump the start before all other riders are properly staged will be disqualified.
    NOTE: If this rule change suggestion passes, the wording for Rule 9.1.B should be adjusted to remove the constant of a 12 second penalty, and reflect that the time penalty may vary depending on circumstances described in 9.5.L.
    Bob - #46
    "Racing makes heroin addiction seem like a vague wish for something salty." - Peter Egan

Member Novice
    If we are moving from 7 laps for 6 laps for sprint races at HPR full course, should we re-evaluate the length of the jump start penalty?
    How was the period of 12 seconds determined originally?

Quote Originally Posted by R1tim View Post
    If we are moving from 7 laps for 6 laps for sprint races at HPR full course, should we re-evaluate the length of the jump start penalty?
    How was the period of 12 seconds determined originally?
    That was literally the topic of the rule change I just proposed (an hour before your comment)! lol

I believe the 12 seconds came from the approximate time it would take to perform a stop-and-go penalty (that was replaced by the time penalty).
    Last edited by Spiderman; 2 Days Ago at 08:38 AM.
    Bob - #46

Senior Member Expert
    A multitude of comprehensive options to secure financial prosperity are being evaluated by the BoD. These options include the possibility of major changes to pricing, classes, and itineraries/schedules. The best option proposals will be reviewed and presented in summary form at the Rule Change Meeting to maintain transparency with membership and consider the feedback collected. This thread may be updated with more details as we work diligently to formulate them.
    Dennis Stowers MRA #151
    Absolute Moto-Michelin
    Speedin' Motorsports

Senior Member Expert
    Supersport and Superbike class definition:
    We are working with suggestions from the members to create proposals that would incorporate Moto America, WSS, and/or similar "Next Gen Supersport" motorcycles.
    *This edit didn't save: The Kramer AXP 350 for the Moto America Talent Cup that just came out, will be considered for integration into our ultralightweight classes depending on competition parity.
    Class definitions for Superbike and Grand Prix rules classes will be evaluated for necessary change to allow for GP type motorcycles.
    Also these Grand Prix rules classifications may be changed to incorporate the "Next Gen" motorcycles e.g., GSX-R750, Street Triple RS 765, Ducati V2, etc.

This is broadly stated here. Details will also be somewhat dependent on class structure possibilities. This thread may be updated with more details as we work diligently to formulate them.
    Last edited by Fastt Racing; 4 Hours Ago at 11:00 PM.
    Dennis Stowers MRA #151
    Absolute Moto-Michelin
    Speedin' Motorsports

Senior Member Expert
    Hey Dennis,

I feel a different wording may be better just to avoid any confusion.

Thanks for taking the time earlier to answer my questions.

Current2.3.D.Handlebars, hand controls, switches, foot controls, including brake master cylinders, handlebars and hand/foot controls may be relocated.

Change
    Handlebars, hand controls, switches, foot controls, including brake master cylinders, hand/foot controls may be relocated, the use of thumb or hand brakes is allowed in addition to or instead of the foot operated system. An adaptor may be fitted to the reservoir input of the OEM master cylinder to facilitate this.

Thank you,
    Justen Behmer
    Dennis Stowers MRA #151
    Absolute Moto-Michelin
    Speedin' Motorsports

Senior Member Expert
    On behalf of Orkun Krand -

New Rule: An individual is only allowed to use one SuperStreet voucher per race season.
    Reason: We've seen many instances of people requesting SuperStreet vouchers for free track time on Facebook and other channels. We are already struggling with finding people to coach SuperStreet.

Since the goal of SuperStreet is to get people to try out racing, followed by licensing up and racing with us, once they have used a voucher, they can utilize other avenues to license up mid-season and join us and race.

Dennis Stowers MRA #151
    Absolute Moto-Michelin
    Speedin' Motorsports

Senior Member Expert
    On behalf of Aleksander Sokolov -

He proposed that we institute use of a blue flag (lapper flag). We explained the inherent conflict of practicality that this would involve with amateur racers, not professionals. Unless anyone has any objection to omitting this from the list of proposals, we will omit it, with the prior approval of Aleksander to do so.
    Dennis Stowers MRA #151
    Absolute Moto-Michelin
    Speedin' Motorsports

Senior Member Expert
    The Rule Change Proposal period has now ended.
    Thank you so much for everyone's engagement in continued improvement in MRA competition.
    Dennis Stowers MRA #151
    Absolute Moto-Michelin
    Speedin' Motorsports