Yes, the closest facilities are in Denver. This has always been a concern for the CAMA team and was one of the driving reasons behind our initial efforts to build the track closer to Denver, but factors beyond our control have pushed us to where we are.

Trauma facilities are rated as Level I, II, III, IV, V and non-designated. There is a hospital in Limon, but it is "non-designated". There is a level IV hospital in Hugo, but that's essentially as far as Denver, and in the wrong direction.

Jim Reed, who was the ALS EMT from Western Ambulance this past weekend (and whom I was VERY impressed with) normally works in Strasburg and is very familiar with the medical capabilities of different agencies out there. I will be meeting with him soon to talk over various aspects of all of this, but I think helicopters will definitely be used more, certainly in cases as serious as Bob's.

The good news is that the safety of the participants is a primary concern to the track designer and the enormous amount of land we have to work with allows vast expanses of land between opposing parts of the track and between the track and other roads/facilities. This allows for massive run-off areas and nearly eliminates the need for physical barriers. Where there are barriers planned as a final safeguard, they are so far away from the racing surface that staying upright and carrying enough speed through the dirt and gravel long enough to hit it is virtually impossible. Never say never, but all this means that cases like Bob's will be very few and far between.