Thread: Used race leathers cleaning...

Senior Member Amateur

Used race leathers cleaning...

So bought a set of used Tecknic leathers and well the leather itself needs some replenishing and a bit of cleaning so would like to know the best ways to clean that there and also there's a minor musty/humid smell that I'd like to get rid of but I've never cleaned anything like this for that matter. Any help and ideas appreciated! Thank you!
    "We all take risks every day. Us who ride, know that. We calculate our risk with our reward and then strap on our gear and throw a leg over our trusty steeds. We know that it can end at any time. But we don't let that stop us from living our lives and doing that which we love."

Damir G

Senior Member Amateur
    When I took my jacket to Nate for repairs he cleaned it with something called Lexol
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    06 Thruxton \ 09 KLX250S "Gumby" \ 91 VFR750F
    (Sold list) 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350/Four / 03 BMW F650GSA / 08 Gixxer6 / 03 Gixxer6 "the bass boat"
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by asp125
    When I took my jacket to Nate for repairs he cleaned it with something called Lexol
    Oh okay, we sell that at work... Juat gotta figure out what to do about the slight musty smell inside the leathers cause as much as I'll be using them this season I don't want it to get worse.
    "We all take risks every day. Us who ride, know that. We calculate our risk with our reward and then strap on our gear and throw a leg over our trusty steeds. We know that it can end at any time. But we don't let that stop us from living our lives and doing that which we love."

Damir G

Senior Member Expert
    Agreed on the Lexol... can pic up the cleaner and conditioner at any auto parts store. If you don't want to do it yourself take it to Nate, but I think he is buried in suit repairs currently.

To be honest all our suits end up smelling like crap...try febreezing the inside, or spraying it down with your ladies favorite perfume, or even better soak it in some VP MRX... then it will stink of race gas forever! Cleaning and conditioning is the only way to make it smell just ok rather than horrid.... Febreeze and let it sit out for a few days....
    Lifetime novice.... #969

l ______
    /l ,[____],
    l---L -[]lllllll[]-
    ()_) ()_)----)_)

Junior Member Novice
    Cleaning leathers?

Put them in the sun. Wear them in the rain. Then they are good to go.
    Ninja 250
    Ducati 1098
    Team Desperation Racing
    "Where Desperate Men Do Desperate Things"

Senior Member Amateur
    Thanks for the input guys, just never had a set of leathers before and just wanted to know what the methods were and what not but seems pretty simple. I always thought about using the leather cleaning stuff we have here at work for car leather but didn't know if the cleaning components and compounds were different and what not cause I don't want to ruin the leathers of course.

Damir G

Senior Member Amateur
    Yeah the musty smell? Try taking a shower and using deodorant ! lol..

Some leathers have removable washable liners and some riders wear long sleeved Under Armor to stave off the funk. But all leathers eventually smell.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    06 Thruxton \ 09 KLX250S "Gumby" \ 91 VFR750F
    (Sold list) 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350/Four / 03 BMW F650GSA / 08 Gixxer6 / 03 Gixxer6 "the bass boat"
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

Senior Member Amateur ZiaThunder's Avatar

Re: Used race leathers cleaning...

Quote Originally Posted by MadVlad
    So bought a set of used Tecknic leathers and well the leather itself needs some replenishing and a bit of cleaning so would like to know the best ways to clean that there and also there's a minor musty/humid smell that I'd like to get rid of but I've never cleaned anything like this for that matter. Any help and ideas appreciated! Thank you!
    I sent my leathers to Barnacle Bill for cleaning, but it takes some time, he told me he needed a week just for the cleaning. It was worth it.
    Sponsored by:
    PJ's Motorcycles, Amsoil, Woodcraft, Race Tech, Speedin' Motorsports, Soumy, MotionPro, & SIDI boots
    # 930
    www.diomederacing.com

Take them to Bloodnickle. Nate will make them good as new.
    carl
    http://wolfbrigade217.blogspot.com/
    2014 VP of Rules & Tech
    MRA#217
    Th'ink Tank Tattoo, The Walnut Room, Rocky Mountain Kawasaki, STM Suspension, Sol Performance, Pirelli, Speedmetal, BloodNickel, MadMoto, Puma, Woodcraft, Armor Bodies, VonZipper, and
    Lacy

Quote Originally Posted by sheispoison
    Take them to Bloodnickle. Nate will make them good as new.
    carl
    At a mile high, this is the easiest 'No Brainer"!!
    AMA #395 / AARONHERSH.COM / SCORPION EXO / Madmoto / MOTOREX / WICKED PHOTOS / GEARZY / Vortex / OGIO / Leo Vince / Galfer / Pilot / MotionPro / Chicken Hawk / ODI Grips
    "The faster I go the prettier the girls look" - Nicky Hayden