Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Round 6 - August 27-28 is a GO!

Member Amateur

Gateway drug . . . hmmmm . . . I wonder . . .

No doubt people race for many reasons. It's exciting, intoxicating, addictive, just plain fun . . whatever. I think another reason people "get off the fence" has to do with the relationship between a more experienced racer and a newbie. It makes the newness less strange and there is someone who may be able to answer questions. I think Brownie really gets this and that's why superstreet is doing so well. You more experienced riders haven't talked with him on the phone as a new racer. I did. He was patient, friendly, knowledgeable and really connected with me and my concerns. He and others are establishing a culture, tone and new riders seem to be responding. Big props to Brownie and the other instructors. IMHO, these guys are building the future of the club membership. If there were a way to continue to the connection between the riders themselves and also their instructors that may help the new riders take the next step and get involved with the club. Maybe it's exchanging emails or notifying the newbies of track days or meet ups at the monthly meeting . . . stuff that wouldn't require a lot of time and energy but would keep the connection going. My $.02.

a few thoughts from a spectator.

Reason I dont race and attend more events? Because I work. When the opportunity arrises for me to attend a race the only track that I would prefer would be PPIR. Why PPIR? because as a spectator I can see whats going on. Trust me I love HPR, its beautiful but its not fun for me to drag my wife and I out only to see a couple corners and sit in the sun all day. Sitting in the pits is not all that fun all day long. Second Creak was fun as well, again because I could visually see whats going on. I would assume there are others that feel the same. build a path and some more benches at other more interesting corners and you will find more people could show.

AS a friend of several racers who have quit racing, the reason they quit is because it is a very expensive sport. Some are not fast enough to be competitive so it becomes less fun and others are fast enough to compete but the ELITE are getting the sponsorships. Its hard to race a $10,000 bike against a $50,000 bike. when your spending $1000 or more a weekend that can certainly put a strain on your life. Not all of us are blessed with the jobs that fly us around the world, etc. Some of us are grunts and do what we must to survive.

Thats the dilemma. My opinion but a reason that the position has risen again.

Senior Member Expert
    I am not competitive and my bike is all of $4k I have no work and have not seen much since April. I have no sponsors and kind of prefer not having to deal with that. I am only racing light weight endurance but I have a great time doing that. I do not like PPIR at all and did not race there the first go around and really didn't plan on doing this next round, but I would like for round 8 to happen so I may have to go ahead and show up to lend what little support I am able to.
    I have come to realize that racing is what you want to make of it. Racing for last place can be a lot of fun too, it's all how you look at it.
    Ankle Biter Racing #99
    Sol Performance--Scorpion -- Vortex Racing
    MaxFund No-Kill Animal Shelter and Adoption Center

Senior Member Amateur
    This might be in the wrong spot but I thought I would chime in. I've managed to race on a budget and have a few sponsors that when totaled pay for 25-30% of my racing. As posted earlier somewhere in this forum, it's what you do off that track for them. I'm working hard to line up a bigger sponsor for next year. My Scooternews connection helps a lot. The paper was (still is) looking for someone part time (like a couple hours a week) to sell advertising and do some writing. It was not enough to live on but the potential there could have definately supplemented and possibly PAID for a full season racing for one person maybe more. I was surprised no one needed the $ help. As for getting more people into the sport, look at what has worked and do more or try something different, and what has not worked and don't do it any more. If it were not for the mentorship from Eric Peat, Joe Cat, Scott (129), John (808), and Mike Appplehans, I would not have stuck around.

Joe
    MRA # 157
    2010 Ducati 1198S
    2009 Indian Chief Roadmaster
    2012 Ducati 796 Monster
    2004 Ducati 749S
    SW Scooternews, Sol Performance/Pirelli, Rudy Project, TYGA Performance, Boulder Motorsports, Woodcraft, Nitron Racing Shocks, Shorai

President Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by zedx6rroadracer
    a few thoughts from a spectator.

Reason I dont race and attend more events? Because I work. When the opportunity arrises for me to attend a race the only track that I would prefer would be PPIR. Why PPIR? because as a spectator I can see whats going on. Trust me I love HPR, its beautiful but its not fun for me to drag my wife and I out only to see a couple corners and sit in the sun all day. Sitting in the pits is not all that fun all day long. Second Creak was fun as well, again because I could visually see whats going on. I would assume there are others that feel the same. build a path and some more benches at other more interesting corners and you will find more people could show.
    I share your opinion on why HPR is not the spectator track that PPIR is. I hear it firsthand from those who have come out previously to spectate and that they will not come out again due to only being able to see one or two turns. Unfortunately it's not up to the MRA to build paths and add grandstands there. HPR has been putting alot of money into the facility since it opened and eventually there will some improvements to spectator amenities.
    MRA #29

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123