Quote Originally Posted by Bartman
Josh Graham used to launch just off of idle on his R6 and his R1, let me see if I can explain this. There is no one way to launch a bike, thats why I say go to bandimere and get the #s and not to just go off of what feels good. It matters less what RPM you launch at then what you do with the clutch and the throttle once you start moving, watch your typical novice you will hear him rev let out the clutch and buwaaaah, the RPM was 10000 then when the clutch comes out down to 4000 we go and thats it. Now if you start with a lower RPM and then learn to slip the clutch almost all way through first gear while applying more throttle you will launch with much more consistency. Most bikes have less chatter at lower RPM during the feather point of engagement but not all thats why you need to experiment, hell when I am launching well even the rear brake comes into play. Generally the more torque you have the lower the RPM should be. Just like riding styles there is no one way.
I always did the same thing, at the most on my GSXR1000 I had it at 4,000rpm. LOL with a 208hp bike you dont want it looping! I use to start my Aprilia the same way but at around 2,500rpm, just a basic street bike start from the traffic lights. Hydraulic clutches seem to grab a little more than cable clutches so it helps there as well.

I told Dougie Kahl to try the same thing as he had never done starts on his new bike before the HPR weekend, he got awesome starts!

Like Bart said, there is no right or wrong way, you dont want to know how high I used to rev my 250GP bike or my Aprilia Cup bike