You can definitely obtain sponsors your novice year. I think I had more sponsors my novice year then any year since then.

The main concept, as Brownie mentioned, is how can you market their product. There are many ways to do this so just get creative and be proactive. Talk about the amount of racers you will see on the race weekends, hand out fliers in the pits, put stickers on your bike and truck, reference their company on forums like the CSC and MRA.

Sometimes, the newer racers are the ones that take time to promote products where as some fast experts get sponsorship because they are on podium. You dont have to be the fastest guy or have years of experience to land deals. Get your resume together, talk about how you can get "THEIR" name in the heads of other potential customers. Be creative and get on the ball now. Many companies have already stopped accepting resumes for the 2010 season but you can still try. There is nothing to loose, and anyone who says you can't do it as a first year novice either doesn't know or just hasn't tried.

Shoot me a PM as well if you need more help then Brownie can offer (which is unlikely as he is the one who got me started my novice year) 8)