Why do we have RoR payouts at all? When you (individual, business, club) are in financial trouble, you need to look at every expenditure and ask what you are getting for that money. My question is, what does the club get for the RoR money it pays? Here are numbers I've pulled from entry docs and posts from various board members, along with estimates from previous weekends. My numbers are likely not exact, but in the ball park.

RoR payouts per weekend ~$6,000
RoR surcharges per weekend assuming 15 racers per RoR race - $1350

$6,000 - $1,350 = $4,650 but let's round it down to $4,500 since these are estimations anyway

That means the MRA has to cover the remaining $4,500 per weekend for these payouts. What is the benefit to the MRA of making these payouts? That's a *lot* of money over a full season that the MRA could desperately use. I realize that the club has reduced/suspended MRA payouts the last 2 weekends. But what would our financial situation be if they hadn't made any payouts for the entire season?

Seen another way, that $4,500 per weekend that the club has to pay out comes from the entry fees from all the racers. Assuming we have 100 racers sign up, $45 from every racer's entries go to paying the guys who race RoR. If we have 150 racers, it's about $30 of each racer's entries for RoR payout.

With no RoR payouts, the club's financial situation certainly looks more attractive. Maybe that means there's an opportunity to lower entry fees to attract more racers, or buy more air fence, or pay more corner workers, or more PR, or........ fill in what you think the MRA could use.

Anyway, at this point I'm not suggesting we eliminate all RoR payouts, I just want to know what we're getting for that money the club pays out. Once we know the value of paying out money in RoR, maybe then we can determine an appropriate amount for the payouts.

Eric Borch #73