'Nette: I love your post. Teri and I are in a similar boat. I drug her to the races, got married to her(best decision I ever made), and enjoy racing as much as ever.
Problem: Money. Teri and I for a weekend pay out about $750.00. This will cover the two of us for the races both of us do. Not excessive, I do about five, and she does two. Please remember this includes all the wonderful amenities that include membership in Club P. Chris and Big Mike spend more than that to be there, feeding who knows how many(read anyone who shows up hungry and thirsty, I swear, they must be from the south, Hospitality is their trademark, and they are VERY seriuos about it). With work being about 60% off, it's difficult, to say the least. Of course, we are rowing the same boat as everyone.
How does this relate? We run a '99 SV650, with only carbs, full exhaust, stoci forks(with emulators), and good rear shock. It can be relatively economical to race, and play mid pack... if we have $$$$$$$$. Unfortunately we have less than before.
As Chris Dale said, there are lots of inexpensive machines(Gs500 for less than 12 small) out there if ego doesn't get in the way. Of course, I'm WAY older than most of the MRA, and don't heal nearly as quickly as I used to.
It's just that we don't have the disposable money anymore. The fact that I suck riding inline 4's has nothing to do with it.
To tell the truth, I really believe that if we manage it through even part of this season(the MRA, I'm pretty sure I'll be alive at the end. Clarkie, Teri and I are so glad you are still with us, plese don't go for three!!!) we should look at the idea of the intro class. If we just say "I don't want to deal with 'Nubes on the track" we will ensure that constriction will be the norm, instead of expansion fo the club.
In short, we either make it easy for the beginners to get whatevermachinery they have on to the track for at least one event, or we travel a thousand miles to road race, 'cause we will have killed the MRA.
Man, I'm not enjoying this, but I do thank our board for doing the work they have to do. They are putting forth gallons of midnight oil, and not every decision they make will be universally popular(yep, I don't agree with all of them, but I didn't run for membersip, so.....)

Let's Hope for Change(LOL)