Quote Originally Posted by Wild Cheetah 612
Oh yea, I almost forgot, Jim Brewer, the business man he is, must be out of town again or he would've chimed in by now.
Bingo. I was in (not so) Sunnyvale, CA last week for work doing the manager thing. It wasn't a party. Sorry about getting behind on this scintillating discussion!
Jim's Rider Rep. duties include being responsible for the Rules of this club .. bla bla .. rulebook .. bla bla .. Rules Change Committee .. bla bla .. computer guru .. bla bla .. announcing .. bla bla SuperMoto .. bla bla...
Thanks Donna for the quick resume. Before "officially" getting on the board, I was pretty involved with the MRA PR committee from '95-'97 doing shows, distributing posters, schedule cards, and flyers. I wrote after race articles for Cycle News, American Roadracer (if you remember that), and Roadracing World for a couple years (although I don't think Ulrich printed any of mine).

I'm also "officially" trained as a MRA Corner Worker, have an approved whistle & pants and have earned my shirt - I'm pretty proud of that.

By virtue of seeing my dopey mug first when you click on "Contact the MRA" I get a decent amount of email from other club racers asking about the MRA, the discussion forum, or our rules, fees or other stuff. I always take that opportunity to talk us up, give advise on MRA specific bike prep (I know what other clubs do & don't do), registration processes, and offer to be their "host" when they come to the races.

Since I've raced with just about every other club in the nation, I know a bit what it's like when you go to a new club "cold" and have to run the gauntlet of license, signup, contingency, and procedures. Having a personal contact before even getting there is a HUGE help.

Oh, and what Donna didn't mention is that Rider Reps. are expected to teach at the new riders' schools as well as attend all the board and general meetings.

As Teaus Baggus said, if you want to have a board job, then start doing one before asking to get elected.