Guys:

Thanks to all of you guys who answer beginner questions on this forum. Been reading for a while, and you guys are really great.

After about 8 track days, seriously considering doing a little racing for fund and feed that competitive drive. Would appreciate any insights you guys would have for me, considering some of the following statements, and my goals listed below:

Background:
I'm 37, have a GF and successful career - and don't want to end up in a wheel chair or dealing with broken bones repeatedly. I have significant riding experience - over 100,000 miles and motorcycles are my passion and my life. My goal is to roll around with some good guys, have some fun passing and being passed, and would be willing to put in substantial practice and prep time to meet this. [But not: WIN IT OR BIN IT]. I'm thinking endurance races would be fun and great practice - more track time = me as a better rider. I'm very athletic, I snowboard backcountry a lot, golfed in college and skateboard regularly during the summer at the awesome skateparks here in Colorado.

Questions:

1. What racing class has the most relaxed, mildly competitive racers with their heads on their shoulders? I don't want someone wiping me out, just want to ride well with some experienced, good guys. (I do understand racing accidents happen, but want to improve my statistical probability of avoiding the big crash with others).

2. What are the less-expensive racing classes? I realize a lot of people spend 500 - 1,100 per race weekend. Would like to keep this closer to 500, but understand racing costs money.

3. What is the highest safety and best learning way to start in this passion? Do you start out doing production 250, then move up to bigger classes after you learn corner speed and the racing skills? Start SV650 in the lightweights? The biggest I will ever go is 600 class.

4. I'll be 40 in a little over two years. How would that change your view of where to start and how to build up? I'm sure the Formula 40 guys have their shit together.

5. I am open to anything bike-wise. I currently have my bagger, two Buell X-1's and a Honda CR-500. One Buell will get sold to buy the racebike this fall. I ride a street bike or my GF's XR 250 pretty much every day. I'm going track days three times a month, working on my form and lines at IMI.

6. I do 90% of all my bike and truck mechanical work, and have been mounting and balancing my own bike tires for two years now. I think I can do a lot of the bike work that needs to be done.

I've approached everything I've done in my life in a thoughtful, intelligent way and find the more I read and learn about something before I do it, the better I do it. I've read through a lot of the beginner forums on here, but I apologize if I asked questions that were covered already.

I appreciate any input you guys might have - hopefully this will be a helpful thread for us newbs.

Thanks again!

shRED

aka Jason Redman