I help manage one of the busiest Walmart stores in Colorado, at Palmer Park and Powers in Colorado Springs. We had an executive visit our store yesterday, and I told him I was into racing motorcycles and mentioned the MRA as a way of making the store more fun for our customers while also promoting the club.

My store manager then piped up, in front of this guy, that Colorado has the highest motorcyclist-per-capita # of any state in the USA. I started talking about the hillclimb, all the nearby tracks, how much the military (our primary market) love bikes, etc, etc. A bunch of the store's associates ride. There are 3 of us in the salaried ranks who ride. 3 assistant managers, including myself, who ride. One rides an R6, the other a Harley. As far as non-exempt employees go, one hourly manager rides an R1, two others ride Harleys.

Everyone thought it would be a cool idea. The exec. told me to go ahead and try to make it happen.

The way I imagine it, we get 10-15 racebikes and park them in the bowling alley (inside, in front of the registers, where people line up to check out) on stands, put up the MRA booth/tent (we have high ceilings), and staff the desk with 2-3 volunteers. We could talk about motorcycle racing to the general public, hand out the 2 for 1 flyers, mention free military gate entry, etc, in hopes of boosting the number of spectators at the next PPIR race in September. I figure a date close to the PPIR race would be best. I will contribute my Aprilia RS125 and my Honda RS125 to put on display.

The store would be more than willing to feed the volunteers lunch, whatever it takes. Walmart has no issues at all with promoting non-profits at the store level, especially if the event makes our store more fun for our customers.

Safety would be a huge concern. I can't think of very many ways for someone to get hurt by a bunch of bikes on stands that can't be addressed by having volunteers engage anyone who comes close to the bikes in conversation. Our customer base is pretty decent, not really "typical" Walmart. Most of our customers are military and ex-military. They're a non-violent, pretty much classy bunch, that don't tear the store up too much. We have one of the best looking stores in Colorado for it. I used to work at the Platte store. I can tell you right now I wouldn't be comfortable doing an event like this there. Palmer Park is a totally different store.

On any given day, ~7500 people walk through our doors and buy something. That's HUGE exposure for the club. I see it as a win-win... We park a bunch of bikes in the store, and the customers get to see something they don't expect to see while the club promotes itself.

I figured I'd post this in public, but, if anyone wants to talk in private about taking the next step, I can be reached by PM.

A little about me... I've been to all 3 races this year, racing the SS class on my Aprilia RS125. I'm about to get my license and start racing a Honda RS125. I'm the Assistant Manager of Electronics, Wireless, Photo, and Toys at the Store #3582 in Colorado Springs, CO. I would love to make this event happen at our store.

Thank you,

Aston