Quote Originally Posted by CO750
Quote Originally Posted by scott72673

Propose 2 new categories:

Middleweight Production
Open Production

The intent of this class is to reduce the ongoing costs of racing and bring close competition. As such only minimal modifications may be made to the motorcycle with the intention of making it track worthy. In the production class the stock ECU, Airbox, Air Filter and Exhaust system must remain in place.
I think this might limit your entries a bit. I don't know of any bike with the stock exhaust and air filter still on it. Even from potential street riders we are hoping to entice to race, most have changed these items already.

Well, the point of the rule is pretty simple. With a fairly restrictive intake and exhaust system you can do just about anything you want to the motor in between and NOT see a big bump in HP. The super techie mechanics amongst us could probably find a way to cheat, but the reality is that with a stock airbox and a stock exhaust cheating gets REALLY expensive.

I'm looking at this as a way to decrease the ongoing costs of racing. Stock motors are super reliable and not prone to blowing up. Being competitive in a class like this is a matter of honing rider skill as the bikes will be, for the most part, pretty equal. So you need a stock exhaust to put back on your bike? Look on ebay. There are a bunch of them out there for most models for under $100.