Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pueblo done?

Senior Member Amateur

Pueblo done?

According to an update on the Pueblo Motorsports website (press release dated 30 March, site updated 9 April) the road course is finished. Any confirmation?

Joe
    MRA # 157
    2010 Ducati 1198S
    2009 Indian Chief Roadmaster
    2012 Ducati 796 Monster
    2004 Ducati 749S
    SW Scooternews, Sol Performance/Pirelli, Rudy Project, TYGA Performance, Boulder Motorsports, Woodcraft, Nitron Racing Shocks, Shorai

President Expert
    Supposed to be done Friday
    MRA #29

Senior Member Amateur
    If I remember I will look today on the way home . I did see some paving equipment the other day.
    James W.
    MRA #98
    2007 AMU GTU Champion
    Sponsors: Vickery Motorsports , Michelin, Vanmar Racing, , www.superbike.net, Ferodo Brakes, Vortex , APE, Brake Tech and Down to Earth Dental.

glenngsxr
    All this good stuff in the Colorado roadracing scene is really making me want to come back out. Hmmmm.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by glenngsxr
    All this good stuff in the Colorado roadracing scene is really making me want to come back out. Hmmmm.
    Well then get on it! 00--00

Senior Member Amateur
    All that I could see was turn 4 and 5 from the road and it was not done yet.
    James W.
    MRA #98
    2007 AMU GTU Champion
    Sponsors: Vickery Motorsports , Michelin, Vanmar Racing, , www.superbike.net, Ferodo Brakes, Vortex , APE, Brake Tech and Down to Earth Dental.

Is it true that the new pavement is NOT as good of quality as HPR used!?
    AMA #395 / AARONHERSH.COM / SCORPION EXO / Madmoto / MOTOREX / WICKED PHOTOS / GEARZY / Vortex / OGIO / Leo Vince / Galfer / Pilot / MotionPro / Chicken Hawk / ODI Grips
    "The faster I go the prettier the girls look" - Nicky Hayden

Senior Member Expert
    No asphalt has been put done as of today. I was told that track officials were told by the city of Pueblo the ground is still to cold. This info came from two friends who went to the track today and talked to PMP staff. They also said the new curb in turn 9 looks good.

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by hcr25
    No asphalt has been put done as of today. I was told that track officials were told by the city of Pueblo the ground is still to cold. This info came from two friends who went to the track today and talked to PMP staff. They also said the new curb in turn 9 looks good.
    What was wrong with the old curb in turn 9? I liked the adrenaline caused by the threat of ACL surgery after ripping your right knee off going through there.

Not quite the feeling you get when a Nissan Altima pulls in front of you crossing the track mid-race though. That is an absolute rush!

In all seriousness, I hope they get everything sorted and we get to race there this season as I'm not a PPIR fan.
    David "MOBSTER" Mobley | MRA # 78
    Dunlop Race Tires / BlackBerry
    http://www.mobster78.com

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by d_mob
    Not quite the feeling you get when a Nissan Altima pulls in front of you crossing the track mid-race though. That is an absolute rush!
    That's pretty fun, but I still think the guy in the wife beater driving the hoopty POS and entering the track for a partial lap is a wicked rush.
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    www.facebook.com/MotoLlama
    Twitter @MotoLlama
    Llama Schwag! www.cafepress.com/motollama
    #321! Supported by Western Ambulance, ProRT, Chicane Trackdays, Single Track Mind, Rebellion, Vanmar, Wicked Photos, and my family.

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by d_mob
    Quote Originally Posted by hcr25
    What was wrong with the old curb in turn 9? I liked the adrenaline caused by the threat of ACL surgery after ripping your right knee off going through there.

In all seriousness, I hope they get everything sorted and we get to race there this season as I'm not a PPIR fan.
    Hilarious :lol:
    Luke, Semi-Expert #199
    2010 Ducati 848, 2005 GSXR1000
    STM Suspension, Sol Performance

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DOUBLE A
    Is it true that the new pavement is NOT as good of quality as HPR used!?
    You'd have to compare the composition side by side to know for sure.

NEITHER used the polymer - HPR didn't 'cause there was a worldwide shortage of it at the time of paving. They DID use polymer in the re-paves of the turns this fall though.

Pueblo didn't use polymer because it wasn't in their budget. I'm told it is Highway Spec asphalt.

HPR let the pavement cure for 6 months before using. Pueblo intends to wait only 2 weeks.

That makes me a bit nervous - I hope that's enough time, otherwise it will get torn up pretty quickly ala Second Creek.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Expert
    Wasn't lack of cure time also Hastings' downfall?
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    www.facebook.com/MotoLlama
    Twitter @MotoLlama
    Llama Schwag! www.cafepress.com/motollama
    #321! Supported by Western Ambulance, ProRT, Chicane Trackdays, Single Track Mind, Rebellion, Vanmar, Wicked Photos, and my family.

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    Lack of sub-surface prep I think... I had been a damn cornfield for 100 years and liked water too much. the track got "wavy", the asphalt didn't wear.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Expert
    We'll I guess I'll have my old Pueblo I loved back in no time. I assumed they would be using highway spec asphalt, which is fine. Even with good sub-surface prep, and highway spec, it still needs a couple months in the summer sun to get hard enough to put cars on it.
    Dennis Stowers MRA #151
    2021-2023 MRA BoD Rider Representative - Rulebook
    Absolute Moto-Michelin
    Speedin' Motorsports

Senior Member Amateur
    What was the delay? I thought the repave was suppose to be done by the first of 2012?
    Luke, Semi-Expert #199
    2010 Ducati 848, 2005 GSXR1000
    STM Suspension, Sol Performance

President Expert
    MRA #29

Senior Member Amateur
    Is that turn 9 going into 10?
    Joe
    MRA # 157
    2010 Ducati 1198S
    2012 Ducati 796 Monster
    2004 Ducati 749S
    SW Scooternews, Sol Performance/Pirelli, Rudy Project, TYGA Performance, Boulder Motorsports, Woodcraft, Nitron Racing Shocks, Shorai

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
    Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing
    The picture caption says, "Laying Asphalt on the Drag Strip Portion".

Senior Member Amateur
    I noticed that after I looked at it on my computer. I think I need a new phone with a bigger screen and a font size that is readable....or glasses.

Joe
    MRA # 157
    2010 Ducati 1198S
    2012 Ducati 796 Monster
    2004 Ducati 749S

Senior Member Expert
    I was there Yesterday, and they were just starting to round turn one. From what I heard they said it would be done within a week.
    Colorado's Dunlop Tire Vendor
    www.throttleforyourbottle.com

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Louden
    I was there Yesterday, and they were just starting to round turn one. From what I heard they said it would be done within a week.
    Now that's good news!
    Thanks!

Junior Member Novice
    about 900' left, which means between turn 9 and 10. Read this on colorado horsepower junkies.

Senior Member Expert
    I hope 10 days of cure time will be enough.

Senior Member Amateur
    Hey guys, long time no post. I was reading on this and this is very cool and great news for the club. I did Asphalt Quality Control for Lafarge about 3 years ago and I thought maybe I would chime in.

Sub-surface prep is VERY important. Same as painting a car, the better the prep the longer it will last. If the subgrade has drainage issues in any areas it will transfer through the asphalt and you will get rutting, then eventual break down. Whoever is paving it is probably using a combination of lifts, 3/4" S75 64-22 as the first 1 or 2 lifts and a final lift of 1/2" SX75 or SX100 64-22. (This is the type of asphalt content and the 75 or 100 is the amount of gyrations used to achieve density) All areas AND LIFTS of the track should be a uniform 92-96% compaction which is highway specifications (ASTM or CDOT). Anything less than 92% causes rutting because the asphalt was never compacted enough, and anything above 96% is too hard and will cause cracking in no time. They should be out there with Nuclear Gauges and those Nuke Gauges should have correlation factors to ensure the gauge was calibrated to that type of asphalt. Compaction is crucial, ESPECIALLY ON JOINTS. They should be lapping their joints and should be achieving the same compaction percentage on the joints. I would also HIGHLY recommend you have random core samples taken from all around the track, and have those samples tested at an independent lab to ensure the proper compaction as well as volumetrics.

Kip Book still works over at now Martin Marietta (bought Lafarge in Colorado) and I'm sure he would test the core samples for you for free. Finally, asphalt cures very quickly... actually 24 hours is usually enough to achieve well over 50% cure. It's not like concrete where as that takes 28 days for full cure, once asphalt cools down the cure process is very quick. The 2 weeks should be ample time IF the sub-surface was prepped properly and compaction was achieved per ASTM/CDOT guidelines. Paving on cold surfaces is not bad, but on a track such as this I'm glad to hear the city required the ambient temps and ground temps to be higher... someone was paying attention.

The above info is only one phase of quality control, the manufacturing process also has many QC aspects that should be considered. If the product was never made right at the plant, they will never achieve great results in the field, not matter how much care is taken in the lay down process.

I hope some of this helps you guys and gives you some ammunition if they fall short on the quality of the overall job.
    Sponsor: Visa Credit Card @ 11.9% APR! AWESOME!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast