Quote Originally Posted by TRK
For example there are rules that outlaw a horn on a bike. If a second place rider protests the racer who just won because he/she knows the horn on the winner’s bike is still connected, should the winner be disqualified?
It's also important to know the context sometimes. The horn rule was enacted because a certain fast expert was honking his as he went by; many of us thought it was hilarious, but I guess it startled a few riders and they claimed it was a safety issue at rule time.

Sometimes enforcement (and protest) of the rules gets a little silly and we need to revert to common sense, like the frame sliders and cam chain tensioner bit - many if not every bike on the grid will have sliders, anything without a cool Ducati stand needs spools because the kickstand is not permitted by the rulebook as well, and a lot of us have tensioners for obvious reasons if you've seen a stock one go bad at 12k RPM.

Unfortunately though there are people who have tried to take a more vague approach to rules as a winning strategy, by exploiting loopholes rather than fit within the spirit of SS. The rules there today are as much an evolution of that process as anything else. I think the "catch all" phrasing about lame protests is meant to protect common sense modifications from being caught up in no-cheating language, and I've never seen the board uphold protest on something like a chain tensioner. That said, it's definitely good to clarify if you feel it's missing something or incorrect.