Thread: Water freeze over co

Water freeze over co

I drained/rinsed my cooling system spotless and filled it with water for this Saturday and now it's going to be snowy/crappy tomorrow. My bike is in a garage, but it's certainly not heated... should I tear all the bodywork off and drain it before I go to sleep tonight? I'd hate for it to freeze and I can't seem to find too many other people asking this question on the net.

Thanks,
    Jim

Senior Member Expert
    Depending on where you live it should be fine. I don't see the lows in any Denver forecast getting that cold tonight. "knock on wood"...

Even if it drops to 32, it would need to drop your garage temp down first, then the bike too. By then it would be probably warming up again going into tomorrow morning.
    Jeff Brown, #277
    "What can Brown do for you!"
    2011-2022 New Rider Director
    2008-2010 MRA Rider Representative

Senior Member Amateur
    Jim
    I agree with Brownie. You should be fine. Is the garage attached to the house? That will certainly help.

Any issues taking it apart?

Matt

Hey Matt!

No problems with the cooling system - belly pan is still off so I can change the oil later this week (no K&N's at O'reilly). The garage is attached and I'm fairly skeptical about it getting frozen solid, but I figure it's better to ask than find out once the bike warms up again!

Senior Member Expert
    If you want extra piece of mind use a space heater, or thow an electric blanket over the bike, or plug in a lamp (no lamp shade) next to the motor.
    #145 Wyeth Jackson
    Wyeth Homes Real Estate www.WyethHomes.com
    G-Force Powersports, Pirelli & Sol Performance, CT Racing, Kawasaki, Bell Helmets, TCX Boots, Vortex, Racers Edge, Un!nk Printworks, Motul, Vortex, Rising Sun Cycles, CHR, Attack Performance, NinjaTech

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer
    If you want extra piece of mind use a space heater, or thow an electric blanket over the bike, or plug in a lamp (no lamp shade) next to the motor.
    I was searching for a small space heater earlier (to no avail). If I can't find a small lamp, the electric blanket idea is genius!

Senior Member Expert
    The lamp thing works well, get one of the clamp types with the metal reflector and it will work even better. That said, it needs to be pretty cold for a while to matter, last night (and rest of this week) probably just won't get down that far.
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    www.facebook.com/MotoLlama
    Twitter @MotoLlama
    Llama Schwag! www.cafepress.com/motollama
    #321! Supported by Western Ambulance, ProRT, Chicane Trackdays, Single Track Mind, Rebellion, Vanmar, Wicked Photos, and my family.