Thread: STM Suspension

Senior Member Expert

STM Suspension

Like I have told a couple of people when it comes to suspension, I was always pretty fast but I just rode what I had and changed the preload and damping clickers on my bikes here and there to what friends had told me to do, or to something I had read on the internet. I guess for me it comes from growing up racing MX/SX where I could ride around the suspension a little bit, but that doesn't really work on a road race bike. It worked ok for a while, but I would get worn out from riding my bike as it would always be a lot of work to ride. I worked with STM SUspension from 2006-08 and by working with Dave I started understanding what my bike was doing and more importantly why it was doing it which transformed my riding.

After working with Dave and STM Suspension I actually started noticing what the bike, chassis, suspension and tires were doing and I stopped coming into the pits and just telling him the bike sucked :lol: Dave helped transform my bikes into machines that were easy to ride and I could put them anywhere on the track, I could race the 12-14 lap ROR races and get off the bike still relaxed, not worn out and not dripping in sweat which made the drive back home a lot more bearable. He kept things simple for me to understand without getting too technical, he also interpreted what I was saying which is the sign of a great suspension technician as there is enough going on for a racer without having to learn a totally new way of describing things.

Dave also does a TON of offroad motorcycle suspension (MX/SX/Off road racing etc) so don't think he is just a street bike suspesion guy so since he is there it would probably be worth asking him about your dirt bike suspension if you have one.

I couldn't have won various #1 plates from in Utah and Colorado from 2006-08 without Dave and STM Suspension's help and if anyone is interested in not only going faster on the track, but understanding more about what is going on the should do themselves a favor and get in touch with Dave 8)

I will second what Clarkie said 100%. Good suspension set up is the number one key to going fast and understanding that set up will make you even faster.
    http://wolfbrigade217.blogspot.com/
    2014 VP of Rules & Tech
    MRA#217
    Th'ink Tank Tattoo, The Walnut Room, Rocky Mountain Kawasaki, STM Suspension, Sol Performance, Pirelli, Speedmetal, BloodNickel, MadMoto, Puma, Woodcraft, Armor Bodies, VonZipper, and
    Lacy

Senior Member Amateur
    my bike is in his shop right now getting ready for the season. I strongly recommend Dave!

Senior Member Amateur
    I bought a used dirt bike a while back (2008 YZ 4 fiddy).
    It threw me down the first couple times I rode it.
    The front end seemed to have a weird issue.
    It was like it had a mind of it's own.
    I took it to Dave and told him what it was doing (hurting me).
    When I got it back it was a completely different bike.
    He saved the it. He is a motorcycle whisperer.
    I was ready to sell it after only owning it a few weeks.
    Thanks to Dave's expertise I can enjoy riding again.
    Mark E Mark
    MRA NOT current New Rider Director

A couple of MRA number 1 plates on the wall

http://i37.tinypic.com/v60p5c.jpg