Thread: When to replace wheel bearings?

Senior Member Amateur

When to replace wheel bearings?

In the midst of preseason teardown/buildup and wondering what is the general take on wheel bearings and how long they last and when they should be replaced? With 6+ full race seasons (plus 8-10k of miles before this bike became a race bike) on them I'm just wondering when they should be replaced? They are on a 2001 F4i.

And rybo posted up before i could even edit, which was to add that there are no signs right now that they are bad at all...smooth and quiet rolling with no play or sticking at all.

Mike-

Senior Member Expert
    Mike -

Wheel bearings aren't that expensive - if you already have it torn apart replace them on a bike that old.

The other side is check them out - to they spin smoothly, any notchiness or grinding? Any lateral play in them? These are both modes of failure and will need to be replaced.

That would be my take -

Scott
    MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Senior Member Amateur
    Thanks Scott, that is my basic take as well but just want to hear other's thoughts. The stock Honda bearings are only $20/each and the shops will charge just half hour labor to replace them, so that's easy and cheap peace of mind.

sounds like a good time to go to ceramic bearings
    RS 125
    TZ 250

Senior Member Expert
    If they're bad, replace them. I also go by the "if they're old, replace them" addage, since they are cheap and you know you're starting the season out fresh.

My 2001 SV is stripped to the frame right now. The bearings all seem fine, but they're getting refreshed.
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    www.facebook.com/MotoLlama
    Twitter @MotoLlama
    Llama Schwag! www.cafepress.com/motollama
    #321! Supported by Western Ambulance, ProRT, Chicane Trackdays, Single Track Mind, Rebellion, Vanmar, Wicked Photos, and my family.

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by marty
    sounds like a good time to go to ceramic bearings
    a nice thought, but given that the stock honda's have lasted this long and are super cheap, i'll just stick with those. this bike, with less than 90hp is the definition of rolling resistance so imaginary friction free bearings probably don't even help me.

and yes, agree with the "replace if old" philosophy, i just can't take that too far on this bike or there won't be any bike left, or rather there won't be any money left in my bank account.

watch out though, my new bearings might mean i'll be .0000001 seconds faster around the track.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by nobasin
    ...this bike, with less than 90hp is the definition of rolling resistance...

Errr, you may want to look into some internal issues of a combustion type if this truly is the case OR I could sell you an upgrade! I have an F2 engine with CV carburetors that hasn't been rebuilt since 1997. :lol:

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by Scored51
    Quote Originally Posted by nobasin
    ...this bike, with less than 90hp is the definition of rolling resistance...

Errr, you may want to look into some internal issues of a combustion type if this truly is the case OR I could sell you an upgrade! I have an F2 engine with CV carburetors that hasn't been rebuilt since 1997. :lol:
    chris, last dyno at faster 3 seasons ago it was 87 without the powercommander and 93 with on pump gas and then my powercommander blew up and i've been racing it without the last 3 seasons. stock official rating on this motor is i think 90.1, so I don't know. yeah, it's not the biggest motor out there that is for sure, but it makes the bike go forward and stops when i tell it to, so for now it's all i got.

Senior Member Expert
    Sorry to hear about your luck. I certainly would have thought 10 years of development with the might of Honda would have seen the F4i with far greater power than the pair of MRA raced F2's I know about.

I didn't intend to completely hijack the thread so if you haven't decided on bearing replacement... might as well since everything is already apart. Think of it as a birthday present to your race bike.