Thread: 5th Wheel Towing and Shortbed Trucks

Senior Member Expert

5th Wheel Towing and Shortbed Trucks

So those of you that have 5th wheels and tow with a short bed, what can you tell me works for you hitch setup wise?

I am looking at a 5th wheel where the kingpin is in front of the front cap of the trailer and think I should be able to tow with a shortbed vs my old setup where the kingpin was recessed from the front trailer cap and a long bed was required.

I was hoping to stick with the B&W 5th wheel hitch/gooseneck setup if I can. I don't want to have to get a slider if I don't have to.

Those with Short beds and 5th wheels from what I think I recall seeing at the track?

Glenn, Bob, and one other i thought?
    Kevin #28

'07 Yamaha R6

Senior Member Expert
    I should add that the 5th wheel in question also has the curved front cap in addition to the pin being in front of the front cap.
    Kevin #28

'07 Yamaha R6

Senior Member Expert
    I thought the slider was also for making tight turns, not just for recessed kingpins. That may factor in.
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    www.facebook.com/MotoLlama
    Twitter @MotoLlama
    Llama Schwag! www.cafepress.com/motollama
    #321! Supported by Western Ambulance, ProRT, Chicane Trackdays, Single Track Mind, Rebellion, Vanmar, Wicked Photos, and my family.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe
    I thought the slider was also for making tight turns, not just for recessed kingpins. That may factor in.
    It is, but I am curious if they are still unnecessary with the pin moved and the cap being curved to allow tight radius.
    Kevin #28

'07 Yamaha R6

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by KFinn
    It is, but I am curious if they are still unnecessary with the pin moved and the cap being curved to allow tight radius.
    The sliders are nice but not necessary if you're careful about not getting into a place where you can't get out without tight turns.

Of course, this is coming from a guy with a dented C pillar on his truck ops: I was in a bad mood, frustrated, etc, one day when leaving PMP and turned too tight trying to get out of the pits...
    The GECCO

You begin your racing career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

President Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by The GECCO
    Of course, this is coming from a guy with a dented C pillar on his truck ops: I was in a bad mood, frustrated, etc, one day when leaving PMP and turned too tight trying to get out of the pits...
    That's still not as bad as what Brewer did...
    MRA #29

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
    Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing
    That's still not as bad as what Brewer did...
    Say what?? What did I do? I know I ran over my $200 glasses when backing up one time, but I don't have dented c-pillars (probably because the nose of my trailer is fiberglass <:-O ).

So I have a slider for my short bed, but I really never use it. Exactly like Glenn said, unless you get into somewhere where you need the extra angle, you should be good with a fixed hitch.

President Expert
    What about that little mishap at the gas station??
    MRA #29

President Expert
    MRA #29

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
    Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing
    Oh yeah, forgot about that one.
    Well, the slider didn't help there either.

Senior Member Expert
    FWIW I ended up going with the Bulldog Conversion hitch (now sold by Draw-Tite) for mine, instead of the B&W Companion. It's a seriously beefy hitch, and has a bigger stance than the B&W which should be more stable. It just drops into the B&W gooseneck receiver and clicks in, once adjusted taking it in and out is only a few minutes. Cost is about the same as the B&W version as well. Anyway, just throwing this out there if the OP is still on the fence about what to buy. I will have it at the Apr 7th round if you want to look at it there. Now pulling a ~39' 5th wheel with it and it's solid.
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    Twitter @MotoLlama
    #321! Supported by Western Ambulance, ProRT, Chicane Trackdays, Single Track Mind, Rebellion, Vanmar, Wicked Photos, and my family.

Senior Member Expert
    I already owned the B&W turnover for a ford and then the 5th Wheel Companion. That is why I was hoping to not change. Buying a diff truck would only require me to change out the turnover. But before spending the money on the turnover I was trying to gauge if I should switch to the sliders or not. Based on the comments I decided to stick with the B&W set and give it a whirl.

Thx for the info. Didn't even know anything else was out there like the B&W. If they had a B&W 5th wheel slider that dropped in just like the regular I probably would change just to have the buffer in case I ever need it. But I haven't found anything that exists.
    Kevin #28

'07 Yamaha R6

Senior Member Expert
    Well to be clear I already have the B&W turnover in my truck as well, I just needed the 5th wheel attachment for it. I wasn't aware of an alternative either until I called a hitch shop that turned me onto this thing. I'm sure either will work fine, but given the choice I went with the most stout mofo I could buy.

I'm sure someone will come up with a slider that works with this thing one day, it isn't like you tow with it in the "slid" position so it could be just as stable with the proper application of steel.
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    Twitter @MotoLlama

Senior Member Expert
    I think I am going to lean towards getting the Reese Sidewinder hitch mount for my camper. Seems like it is better in most all scenarios than a slider hitch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4FaYSLSseE
    Kevin #28

'07 Yamaha R6

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    I think I am going to lean towards getting the Reese Sidewinder hitch mount for my camper. Seems like it is better in most all scenarios than a slider hitch.

Why the change of heart? I thought you were just going to drive carefully... is that not working out?

00--00
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Expert
    Oh snap.
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    Twitter @MotoLlama

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins

Why the change of heart? I thought you were just going to drive carefully... is that not working out?

00--00
    :evil:

A little extra safety buffer never hurt anyone! And I do drive careful with the rig.
    Kevin #28

'07 Yamaha R6

00--00

A little extra safety buffer never hurt anyone! And I do drive careful with the rig.
    Good thinking! Better safe than sorry, I always say! BRILLIANT!
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Expert

00--00

Good thinking! Better safe than sorry, I always say! BRILLIANT!
    Or safe and sorry.
    Kevin #28

'07 Yamaha R6

:cry:
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:

Senior Member Expert
    Tony is never safe and rarely sorry.
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    Twitter @MotoLlama

Ray-Ray Gaimara #16

2011-2013 Track Marshal RETIRED
    2008-2009 VP of Rules and Tech
    1996-2007 Corner worker/Head Corner worker/Airfence Caption

2017 Sponsors - Fun Centers Cycle, Ogio, Sol Performance, Vickery Motorsports

Tony is never safe
    Alas, this is true...

and rarely sorry.
    I object! I'm probably the sorry-est president this club will ever have... only time will tell for sure!
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by: