View Poll Results: What kind of helmet do YOU wear on the track?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • AGV

0 0%
  • ARAI

12 23.08%
  • BELL

3 5.77%
  • HJC

3 5.77%
  • NEXX

0 0%
  • NOLAN

0 0%
  • SCORPION

11 21.15%
  • SHOEI

8 15.38%
  • SUOMY

9 17.31%
  • SOME OTHER HELMET THAT I THINK IS GREAT.

6 11.54%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What kind of helmet are YOU using on the track?

Senior Member Amateur
    Wow, that is cheap. I figured it would be a little higher. I'm glad you appreciate some humor. I enjoy the debate. I was looking at it more and it seems to share some traits of the Scorpion. Mainly the visor pivot. I still can't believe how cheap the whole line is. I don't think one of them was over 250 US. Reviews on a whole were positive. Maybe we are all chumps for paying so much. But for the time being I'm sticking with the company that Mr. Hirotake Arai built. I like to think that some old timer there, that built Mick Doohan's helmet built mine. Maybe some of his magic will make its way to me and one day I could be world champion. 8)

Junior Member Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayniac
    ... But for the time being I'm sticking with the company that Mr. Hirotake Arai built. I like to think that some old timer there, that built Mick Doohan's helmet built mine. Maybe some of his magic will make its way to me and one day I could be world champion. 8)
    If you are on the USA side of the pond, why wouldn't you go with a helmet that was manufactured in the USA, is made by a company with a very long history of producing helmets worn by race winners and produces the lightest motorcycle helmet, by a significant margin, of the six that obtained the highest SMART ratings in every category, the Bell M4R carbon? I am sure one of the old-time Bell workers could pass some of his magic that could help you be a champion. On the other hand, more race experience and a faster machine would likely do a better job.

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilot2
    ... But for the time being I'm sticking with the company that Mr. Hirotake Arai built. I like to think that some old timer there, that built Mick Doohan's helmet built mine. Maybe some of his magic will make its way to me and one day I could be world champion. 8)
    If you are on the USA side of the pond, why wouldn't you go with a helmet that was manufactured in the USA, is made by a company with a very long history of producing helmets worn by race winners and produces the lightest motorcycle helmet, by a significant margin, of the six that obtained the highest SMART ratings in every category, the Bell M4R carbon? I am sure one of the old-time Bell workers could pass some of his magic that could help you be a champion. On the other hand, more race experience and a faster machine would likely do a better job.
    Well the M4R carbon isn't a current US market helmet. At any rate Bell's top of the line helmet cost as much as my Arai. I'm not really into the carbon shell, too stiff. A friend of mine got a really bad concussion in a low speed get off on his dirt bike, he was sporting the HJC carbon.

Junior Member Novice
    Well the M4R carbon isn't a current US market helmet. At any rate Bell's top of the line helmet cost as much as my Arai. I'm not really into the carbon shell, too stiff. A friend of mine got a really bad concussion in a low speed get off on his dirt bike, he was sporting the HJC carbon.
    You won't buy a helmet because it is not marketed in the US? Stop kidding us. Have it shipped to the US: http://www.grandprixlegends.com/moto...CB-carbon.html And you won't buy a BELL helmet that has a higher safety rating than an Arai because it would cost as much as an Arai. So you only want a better helmet if it is cheaper than your Arai. :shock: Again, you must be freaking kidding.

Regarding your friend that got a bad concussion in an HJC carbon helmet, perhaps it is no surprise because the HJC Carbon helmet did poorly in the SMART tests: see http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testhelme...discontinued=1

Senior Member Expert
    I've seen people get concussions in every kind of helmet out there, and ironically more in low speed crashes where the front is lost and the rider's head slams the ground sideways. Probably more HJC type stuff than others, but that may also just be because they're cost effective and people use them more often. The data is not conclusive. Point being, a concussion is usually not a life altering or ending event, which is what the helmet is designed to mitigate; they also happen regardless of manufacturer. That said, go with fit first and safety ratings second, cost a distant third. A safe helmet that doesn't fit will not help you, but you may have multiple helmets that fit well so go with the best one of the group.
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    www.facebook.com/MotoLlama
    Twitter @MotoLlama
    Llama Schwag! www.cafepress.com/motollama
    #321! Supported by Western Ambulance, ProRT, Chicane Trackdays, Single Track Mind, Rebellion, Vanmar, Wicked Photos, and my family.

Junior Member Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe
    ... go with fit first and safety ratings second, cost a distant third. A safe helmet that doesn't fit will not help you, but you may have multiple helmets that fit well so go with the best one of the group.
    Best summary:!:

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilot2
    You won't buy a helmet because it is not marketed in the US? Stop kidding us. Have it shipped to the US: http://www.grandprixlegends.com/moto...CB-carbon.html And you won't buy a BELL helmet that has a higher safety rating than an Arai because it would cost as much as an Arai. So you only want a better helmet if it is cheaper than your Arai. :shock: Again, you must be freaking kidding.

Regarding your friend that got a bad concussion in an HJC carbon helmet, perhaps it is no surprise because the HJC Carbon helmet did poorly in the SMART tests: see http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testhelme...discontinued=1
    Well yeah. I'm not going to ship a helmet half way around the world to see if it fits. Regardless they both meet Snell requirements. So BFD. I checked out the SMART testing. Similar to DOT and Snell. Snell has more tests so I rate them higher. I don't really see your point anymore. You enlightened me to different testing. That "safer" helmets are available for cheaper or the same price. That a whole market of helmets outside the US exist. But I went with Arai because it fit perfectly and most importantly I like it. I've used them for the last 15 years and look forward to many more.

Senior Member Expert
    Anyone seen the Shark Race-R Pro yet? AFAIK it's not in the US market which I don't care about, but it makes things a little harder to evaluate up close. That said, my old Shark RSR/RSX/whatever that racer model is was freakin awesome in fit and quality. Also the Race-R Pro weighs in at 1250kg +/- 50g, which is stupid light and puts it in line with the M4 Carbon.
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    www.facebook.com/MotoLlama
    Twitter @MotoLlama
    Llama Schwag! www.cafepress.com/motollama
    #321! Supported by Western Ambulance, ProRT, Chicane Trackdays, Single Track Mind, Rebellion, Vanmar, Wicked Photos, and my family.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12