Quote Originally Posted by Pilot2
Quote Originally Posted by cosp600rr
shark
Of the three Shark helmets, seen at http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testhelme...-price-to=9999 that obtained the 5-star SMART safety rating, only one, the RSX model, got a VERY GOOD rating in the IMPACT ZONES HIGH SPEED tests for ALL impact zones on the helmet. With the other Shark helmets, you have to be prepared to get your bell rung harder with a side impact hit to the helmet. :shock: But still, all the rated Shark helmets got higher ratings than for any Arai helmet in production.
I'm with JJB and Glenn on this one - just like most other things that involve "fit" you can't buy a helmet by the ratings. A properly fitted inexpensive helmet will protect you far better than the "top rated helmet" that doesn't fit quite right. On top of that, like Glenn said, one of the best rated helmets in one of the studies was also the cheapest helmet in the study.

I think of other things that have to fit right, to work right - Ski boots come to mind -- you could have the best "racing ski boot" out there, but if it doesn't fit, it's useless.

Rock climbing harness - again, if it doesn't fit, it really doesn't matter what the rating is.

This brings me to my question - you seem to have done a ton of research and have a bunch of the answers to the question you're asking, so what's your point with this thread?

-s