Quote Originally Posted by Pilot2
Quote Originally Posted by Wayniac
Fit is always most important. But ultimately it's your melon. Put what ever you want on it. I prefer Arai because they are still hand made. I like knowing that it has a human element to it. I'm skeptical of the mass produced stuff. Look at any Grid around the world, half of those riders will have an Arai.
Fit is no doubt at the top of the list for helmet safety. And no doubt Arai and other popular helmets have saved many a rider. But in view of the test results, questions have arisen, should we live in the past with tradition or look at some of the newer designed helmets that appear from independent tests to offer us more protection? In those instances where the Arai or other popular brand did not provide quite enough protection, would one of the higher safety rated helmets have saved the person or...?

I suspect the sensors that test how much your bell-will-get-rung in an accident do not much care how much hand-making goes into a helmet.

The bottom line is still, "you pays your money and you takes your choice." If having what the majority on the grid have, then the selection process is easy--we don't need to be confused with any test data. ;-)
Alright I'll bite. What are these newer technologies? How do they provide more protection? I love the latest and greatest so fill me in. Lab testing is great, but I don't think it is always the right answer. Carbon fiber seemed to be all the rage a few years ago. But didn't lab testing and real world results prove that it is too rigid to make a good shell? I mean, helmets are still pretty much the same. Shell, foam, liner.