Thread: Buying a "far away" bike...

Senior Member Expert

Buying a "far away" bike...

So I'm shopping for new bikes - and there are a couple that interest me, but they're each sitting on a coast.

Anyone have experience buying bikes "sight unseen" from afar? These are late model, well built bikes by the descriptions and pics...

I guess I'm curious how you went about it? How did you determine if the seller was trustworthy? How did you pay (paypal, escrow), etc.? Did you make the long-a$$ drive with a suitcase full of cash or have a transport company deliever?

Educate me please.

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    If it's in So Cal, I'll bring it back for ya!
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    If it's in So Cal, I'll bring it back for ya!
    LOL! One of them is... and trust me, I thought about that possibility.

I may be in touch...

g

Senior Member Amateur
    Send links of the bikes, or ask about the owners. Even though your in Colorado chances are someone will know them or know someone who does. I've purchased a couple this way and it always ended up well.

If you want it shipped, I can get it here really inexpensively. Around $450-500 east coast and probably $240-280 west.

Pm the owners if you prefer.

Good luck!

Senior Member Expert
    Geoff

Depending on where they are (yes I know one is in SoCal), I may be able to help.

I have friends (that are racers) in Northern California, New York, New Jersey and Minnesota.

If the bikes are in those areas I can put you in touch with them.

Joe
    Imperial Sportbikes | Performance Cycle | Galfer | Factory Effex | Motorex | AXO | Racer Gloves USA | | Woodcraft | Armour Bodies | Driven

Senior Member Expert
    find your own escrow company. don't use "their" suggested company. had a friend who was burned on a supra for $20k in that fashion. fake escrow company.
    Ben Fox- http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2..._Taimotive.gif
    "I'd rather be quick than fast"~Me
    MRA #95
    2006/2007 MRA VP of Rules and Tech
    2008 ROR #10
    http://www.foxperformanceengines.com/images/logo.gif
    www.FOXPERFORMANCEENGINES.com
    (719) 570-9595

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
    I'm a little late with a reply, sorry.

For not much more than having it shipped, I flew to Austin, rented a 1-way box van and hauled my bike back. I was able to see the bike in person before buying it and do the deal face to face.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim 'smooth' Brewer

For not much more than having it shipped, I flew to Austin, rented a 1-way box van and hauled my bike back. I was able to see the bike in person before buying it and do the deal face to face.
    Jim - who did you rent the box van through? My early searches are showing the van rental costing way more than shipping... and that's before gas.

g

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by gsnyder828

Jim - who did you rent the box van through? My early searches are showing the van rental costing way more than shipping... and that's before gas.

g
    That guy with the free candy van will rent it cheap...
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    www.facebook.com/MotoLlama
    Twitter @MotoLlama
    Llama Schwag! www.cafepress.com/motollama
    #321! Supported by Western Ambulance, ProRT, Chicane Trackdays, Single Track Mind, Rebellion, Vanmar, Wicked Photos, and my family.

Back in 1988, I bought Ricky O's '87 GSXR750 AMA Supersport Bike.

I was living in San Fran at the time. Arranged the financing over the phone, flew in to Denver, took a shuttle to Cycles of Boulder, bought the bike and a tank-bag.

Took it to a friends house, stripped off the number plates, etc and put the turn signals and headlights back on. He shipped the parts to me in a box.

Rode it back to San Fran the next day.

Piece of cake.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe

g
    That guy with the free candy van will rent it cheap...
    You mean Carl? :lol:

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    Back in 1988, I bought Ricky O's '87 GSXR750 AMA Supersport Bike.

I was living in San Fran at the time. Arranged the financing over the phone, flew in to Denver, took a shuttle to Cycles of Boulder, bought the bike and a tank-bag.

Took it to a friends house, stripped off the number plates, etc and put the turn signals and headlights back on. He shipped the parts to me in a box.

Rode it back to San Fran the next day.

Piece of cake.
    I might try that - how bad could it be in Feb?

I bought mine in February... it was sketchy going over I-70 passes but was just wet, not snowpacked.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
    I rented a Penske box truck one-way for $481. You also have to add the cost of a 1-way plane ticket, I suppose.

My wife and I made a little vacation/road trip out of it so it was fun. It definitely was worth the extra money to see the thing in person and transporting it myself, although I would have felt very differently if it'd been a pile-o-junk.

Senior Member Expert
    I rented a Penske box truck one-way for $481. You also have to add the cost of a 1-way plane ticket, I suppose.

My wife and I made a little vacation/road trip out of it so it was fun. It definitely was worth the extra money to see the thing in person and transporting it myself, although I would have felt very differently if it'd been a pile-o-junk.
    Thanks... was curious if I was missing something, Penske is running over double that now. Might be regional/demand affected.

Senior Member Expert
    What about renting an F150 or Cargo van e150 from enterprise or something? probably better on mileage, comfort, power, and aerodynamics?
    Kevin #28

'07 Yamaha R6

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by KFinn
    What about renting an F150 or Cargo van e150 from enterprise or something? probably better on mileage, comfort, power, and aerodynamics?
    Tried that too - can't find one that's one way.

Senior Member Amateur
    Put me on your list of people who know people. I have friends coming from either coast all the time.

Senior Member Amateur
    Put me on your list of people who know people. I have friends coming from either coast all the time.

(I guess my phone really wanted you to know I wrote. Sorry for the double post)

Senior Member Amateur
    Huh? All major rental companies do one-way rentals. I use Avis for this frequently.

Just go on their site and ensure pick up and drop off locations are different and you should be good to go. I try not to talk with anyone in person as they are all effin morons (IMO).

Good luck!

PS... What bike you getting?
    David "MOBSTER" Mobley | MRA # 78
    Dunlop Race Tires / BlackBerry
    http://www.mobster78.com

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by d_mob
    Huh? All major rental companies do one-way rentals. I use Avis for this frequently.

Just go on their site and ensure pick up and drop off locations are different and you should be good to go. I try not to talk with anyone in person as they are all effin morons (IMO).

Good luck!

PS... What bike you getting?
    I tried the Hertz/Avis/Entreprise etc. 1 way thing too - and got "sold out" on all the vans/pickups, which I interpreted as "no way pal, we're not sending that truck to CO"

As for which bike - not sure yet, but whatever I get it'll be faster than Ray Ray's. I have a local lead I'm hoping to hear back on... otherwise there are a few good candidates on the left coast I'm considering.