View Poll Results: Would you be interested in renting a race bike?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • No thanks, I'd rather spend $1000+ /weekend on my own bike...

17 53.13%
  • That would be 'effin awesome!

8 25.00%
  • Tony, you're a genius - I want to be your business partner!

7 21.88%

Thread: Would you rent a race bike for $500/weekend?

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar

Would you rent a race bike for $500/weekend?

I'm thinking about putting together a program where I'd have 1-2 race bikes available each race weekend to rent.

Probably about $500 +/- per weekend, but other than gas - everything would be included.

You show up on Saturday and the bike is ready to go. It's yours till Sunday night, and then you return it.

You wreck it, you are "responsible for damage" (previously said "you buy it" which was a bit vague). Mechanical failures, maintenance, tires, etc... would be my problem.

Would require a deposit on Credit Card to cover any crash damage, just in case.

Could be a good option for racers who can't justify buying a whole bike to race 2-3 times a season, or might be fun for someone looking to try something a little different than their current steed.

Lemme know what you think...
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Expert
    Hmm - almost exactly what I suggest here:

http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=2993

dave@MotoSix DOT com | MRA #31, WERA #311

Senior Member Expert
    I looked into this last year and decided to scrap the idea... mostly b/c while it's a popular and (usually) profitable scheme in car racing circles - bike racers are a very different demographic.

FWIW - I think the "You wreck it you buy it" policy isn't ideal. Folks like Keith Code make a killing fixing (charging retail replacement $$ to fix) crash damage. The small crashes make them their $$. The big ones - well, they probably lose or break even since they have a cap on the damage they'll charge.

One thing to consider would be offering crash insurance - i.e. an extra $XXX/weekend to cover the first $YYY- of damages... if the #'s are right than that could viable...

I'm interested in seeing how your poll turns out...

Quote Originally Posted by 12pointracing
    Hmm - almost exactly what I suggest here:

http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=2993

Yeah, sort of - except that the intent would not be to create a new class necessarily. You don't get all the credit Davey G! :P
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Expert
    What if someone purchased, say, 10 EX650s and had them there bone stock, ready to rent/race in the production class(es), say, for $500 for the entire weekend.
    I guess I spelled it out too clearly in the context of that other thread.

Not that it matters; I do not have the funding to puchase 10 SV650s or EX650s!

Quote Originally Posted by 12pointracing
    What if someone purchased, say, 10 EX650s and had them there bone stock, ready to rent/race in the production class(es), say, for $500 for the entire weekend.
    I guess I spelled it out too clearly in the context of that other thread.

Not that it matters; I do not have the funding to puchase 10 SV650s or EX650s!
    Way too clearly, clearly. I'm thinking maybe two 125's that you could plug into whatever grids you wanted to. Prolly old enough that they could go Modern Vintage (easier to learn to ride a 125 there, than say ROR-U) and still be competive in STU and LWGP. There's minimal competitive advantage from 1998 - current anyway, so the age is not such a disadvantage as putting someone on a 10 yr old diesel.

I don't think I'd ever get to the point where I could field an entire grid - but rather the intent would be to give folks a chance to spend, say, $1500 a year to come out and have a little fun instead of having to go take out a second mortgage to get started with a new R6.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:

Senior Member Expert
    DO IT!!!

Senior Member Expert
    Can i be your business partner? :lol:

Senior Member Amateur
    Tony:

Sounds like you've also been perusing the race car sites.

I think there are some subtle differences worth pointing out. In the race car model, there is usually (1) a "Race Management Company" and (2) the race car owner. The "owner" generally leases the car from the management company. The lease fee includes cost of the vehicle, prep, transport to races, and routine maintenance. The owner pays the fee whether s/he races or not. Damage repair and performance add-ons are extra.

It's a turnkey deal designed to allow the owner to simply notify the management team where to take the bike, then to fly to the race location, race, and fly home.

This model helps to disfuse the "you wreck it, you buy it" dilemma. But it also appears to appeal to high rollers who are probably more prone to be interested in cars than bikes. On the other hand, for someone with limited time who wants to race at different tracks around the country, this might be an appealing alternative.

Mike

Member Amateur
    Tony,

The poll results aren't surprising. We all have race bikes already and spending money renting someone else's doesn't make much sense. I wouldn't base your decision on what we'd do, for a number of reasons.

You might get a more interesting response from the non-racer sport bike crowd. I also think renting 125's might be a harder sell than, say an SV650. I'm about 6' and there's no way I could squeeze onto a 125.

Eric

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by cakake
    I also think renting 125's might be a harder sell than, say an SV650. I'm about 6' and there's no way I could squeeze onto a 125.
    Anyone have a picture of Dave Tippe handy?? He's pretty damn big and goes like stink on a 125....
    The GECCO

You begin your racing career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by The GECCO
    Quote Originally Posted by cakake
    I also think renting 125's might be a harder sell than, say an SV650. I'm about 6' and there's no way I could squeeze onto a 125.
    Anyone have a picture of Dave Tippe handy?? He's pretty damn big and goes like stink on a 125....
    I too have seen big guys go pretty fast on a 125. But if you're trying to appeal to the most number of riders, you may be excluding more with a 125 than with something bigger.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to rain on your parade Tony. I think it's a great idea either way.

Eric

Senior Member Expert
    Not only does Tippie fly on a 125......but you should see him on an NSR50. He can go pretty fast on one of those too!

If you had 600's....I could see renting one of those if I was in a pinch for a bike, because i destroyed mine or something.
    Jeff Brown, #277
    "What can Brown do for you!"
    2011-2022 New Rider Director
    2008-2010 MRA Rider Representative

Senior Member Expert
    Hard to say what the "best" bike would be....I would think the main reason to stay away from the 2-smokes would be maintenance.

An SV650 would be ideal in the following aspects
    - reliability
    - available spares
    - easy on tires
    - eligible for a ton of classes
    But in most classes it wouldn't be terribly competitive in the hands of an inexperienced racer (ie, someone who is just getting started or is just trying it out)

A 2 or 3 year old 600 might be better from the "being competitive" standpoint.
    The GECCO

You begin your racing career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Senior Member Amateur
    But in most classes it wouldn't be terribly competitive in the hands of an inexperienced racer (ie, someone who is just getting started or is just trying it out)
    Just a thought, but this sounds like a cool idea for someone like me who doesn't have the funds to get a bike, but I've got an itch from hell to race!!! I could probably scroung up $500 for the weekend of my life once a season. And frankly I wouldn't care if it was a 125, or a SV650, because I wouldn't be competetive on either, that's not what it would be about for poeple like me! ... my only pitfall(s) now are getting leathers, a race licence, a credit card, boots, gloves, brass balls..... you get the idea 8)

I do see the point GECCO makes with it not being competetive for an experienced racer, but it would at least tide them over for the points if they trashed their normal race bike.

I'd upgrade to the SVs Toni, but what do I know :wink:
    Either way it's a bitchn' Idea!
    Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult.

Kip "Hollywood" Book
    Track Marshal 2008
    Head Corner Marshal - '05, '06, '07
    MotoGP Laguna Seca - '05 (Corner Worker), '06, '07, '08, '09 (NMP Medic)
    Lovin' the Corner Marshal gig since '98!

Cornermarshal@yahoo.com

Member Amateur
    Kip-there are people out there who would pay to see you get on a 125. Hey, where did the bike go?

Senior Member Amateur
    you ain't lying, I sat on an Aprilia RS 50 once and damn near broke the suspension! :lol:
    Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult.

Kip "Hollywood" Book
    Track Marshal 2008
    Head Corner Marshal - '05, '06, '07
    MotoGP Laguna Seca - '05 (Corner Worker), '06, '07, '08, '09 (NMP Medic)
    Lovin' the Corner Marshal gig since '98!

Cornermarshal@yahoo.com

Member Amateur

Rent a bike

HMMMM rent a bike, a 125, Ill ride a 125 in RORU that would be a hoot!
    but a 600 would be more relaxing,More cushin for the pushin!!!
    If i dont get a bike by next season I would take u up on that.
    I only want to hit a few races, like milleror hastings. 8) 8) 8) 8) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Senior Member Expert

Re: Rent a bike

Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG
    HMMMM rent a bike, a 125, Ill ride a 125 in RORU that would be a hoot!
    but a 600 would be more relaxing,More cushin for the pushin!!!
    If i dont get a bike by next season I would take u up on that.
    I only want to hit a few races, like milleror hastings. 8) 8) 8) 8) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    The MRA will not be racing at Miller in 2007.

Member Amateur
    Thats to bad i heard it was pretty sweet surface to drag knee from pedro.I wanted to give it a run next year. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: