Thread: Motorcycle Roadracing Association Cancels Round 8 in October

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar

Motorcycle Roadracing Association Cancels Round 8 in October

Motorcycle Roadracing Association Cancels Round #8 in October

After careful consideration, the MRA Board of Directors announced at the General Membership Meeting last night that Round 8 at High Plains Raceway, October 8 & 9, 2011, has been cancelled. The final race of the season will be this weekend, September 17 & 18 at Pikes Peak International Raceway in Fountain, CO.

Following a continual decline in both race entries, and entry fees per racer throughout the 2011 Season the MRA has chosen to forego the final round of the year. Given the drop in participation and uncertain Colorado weather in October, the risk of another significant event loss is just too great to justify.

MRA President Tony Baker assures members: “The MRA is absolutely solvent and financially stable, even taking into consideration the certain loss we will suffer at Round 7 this weekend. There is no financial crisis at this time; however, it is important that we do not make choices which could put us in crisis or imperil the 2012 Race Season. Taking an additional event loss this late in the season would most certainly jeopardize our ability to properly fund the 2012 series.” He continues: “Colorado continues to suffer from a high jobless rate & slow economic recovery; layoffs, bankruptcies and foreclosures have not yet hit bottom it appears. Unfortunately this is having a direct impact on a significant portion of our membership, as even our ‘dyed in the wool, never miss a round’ racers have been skipping rounds or are absent altogether in 2011. The MRA appreciates the support and participation of all of our members, racers, visiting racers, and series sponsors during this season. We look forward to an exciting final round this weekend, and will be announcing our 2012 Season Schedule in the very near future.”

The MRA is dedicated to promoting safe and competitive motorcycle road racing events for enthusiasts in Colorado and the surrounding area. The MRA is now on Facebook at Motorcycle Roadracing Association. Join our group and stay up to date on the latest racing news. For more information go to www.mra-racing.org or call the MRA hotline at 303-530-5678.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Amateur
    Very sad to see this happen but I completly understand the financial side of it. Times are tough for everyone.

With that said, (if I may ask) What is the biggest cost driver for the MRA? Track rental, insurance?

Being somewhat new to Colorado and this is my first year with the MRA I was already shocked at how expensive it is to race/track ride out here compared to other places I have been. I am hearing ramblings of raising fees next year and I think that will drive even more people away and that concerns me as it is already a stretch for many to afford to race now.

If the biggest cost drivers say is track rental for instance? Are they trying to adjust there costs at all in these tough times to help out or are they holding to thre guns with track pricing?

Just trying to get some insight as to why so expensive here?

Cheers,
    JP

MRA #888 Triumph 675.

Track rental is between $6K and $11K

Insurance is either $2200 or $4200

Board Pay is about $3k (we ONLY get paid on race weekends, not any other time during the year)

Ambulances are about $2400

Cornerworker Crew / Staff Food and Perdiem/hotel is $2500

Cornerworker pay is $3500

Trophies are $700

Gate staff is $750

ROR payout is $1500 - $2000

Refunds and credits run about $1100
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Member Amateur
    Tony,

I understand how there can be a range for track rental as every track is different. However, how is there such a large difference in insurance (granted the $2,000 is only a fraction of the overall cost but it still adds up)? Is that number based off number of riders for the weekend, location, or some other calculation? Insurance is around 10-15% of the overall cost it appears. I am wondering if there is anything we, as racers, could do to help lower that cost.

Insurance is $2K higher at HPR because they require additional coverage that the other tracks don't.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:

Senior Member Amateur
    So is the cancelled round a trackday now?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayniac
    So is the cancelled round a trackday now?
    Don't know what HPR plans to do with it... you'll need to contact them.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:

Senior Member Expert
    From the email I got from them last night:

Saturday, October 8th will be Cars Only

Sunday, October 9th will be Motorcycles Only

(The previously scheduled Motorcycles Only day on Friday, October 7th has been canceled)

There's another special twist to these days - participants will have the opportunity to run on THREE DIFFERENT track configurations in the same day! Here's how the schedule will run for both days:

8am - 10am: Full Course
    10am - 12pm: West Course
    Lunch
    1pm - 3pm: North Course
    3pm - 5pm: Full Course
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    www.facebook.com/MotoLlama
    Twitter @MotoLlama
    Llama Schwag! www.cafepress.com/motollama
    #321! Supported by Western Ambulance, ProRT, Chicane Trackdays, Single Track Mind, Rebellion, Vanmar, Wicked Photos, and my family.

Senior Member Expert
    Sorry to see the last round canceled, I could not make it anyway but it still sucks for those who were planning on making it. HOWEVER, I am also glad to see it canceled. It shows to the membership that there are consequences to not supporting this club.

It shows that the club is in VERY good hands and that Tony will do WHATEVER it takes to keep this club solvent. Tony has been saying for months what needs to happen to make this club function and what he and the board will do if those things don't happen.
    Unlike previous boards, this board is staying both open and honest with the financial details of this club and showing financial responsibility to this club and its members.

We are in very good hands during these very stressful financial times for all of us. I am very thankful that we have such leadership steering this club in the present and for the future.

Well done Tony.
    Christopher
    MRA 9 (915)
    “I’m just mad because you shouldn’t use the term ‘fag’, Kyle. That’s a hate word, and it’s insensitive to butt pirates.”
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    Chris - you're absolutely right. (Mark your calendar, don't think I'll EVER say that again :lol: )
    Sponsored by
    Short Bus Race Team, Vortex, SixSixOne, Faster, VICKERY YAMAHA, Bridgestone, Ferodo, Cycleworks, Rebellion, VP, Motul, MRA, Unink