Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bracket racing?

Member Amateur

Thanks, Kevin

Kevin, I appreciate your offer. I'll do it. I'm going to PPIR Friday am to practice and I'll race 250 production Sat and Sun. I'll bring something for the corner workers. Cool. Build a club one member at a time. Works for me. Seriously. My question really was focused on how to increase participation in races late in the season when attendance falls off for guys not in the points race. The guys at the top of the points race need the guys in the mid pack and the bottom to participate so the club doesn't have to cancel a race date, like HPR #8. Is there something that the club can build into it's incentive program to keep racers coming back? Bartman, I don't think setting your own goals and racing to improve your times is quite enough. It's clearly important in order to develop as a racer. What about discounted license fees for next year as a prize? Or for next year, for eg. discounted license fees for all four superstreet guys who license up with 3 additional friends. Would that work to bring superstreet racers into the club? Most people respond to positive incentives. I think monetary incentives are fine if they facilitate building relationships in the club. Unfortunately the problem of having enough money for this year has to be answered. This thread got started by wondering how to make the races more interesting. Folks don't like changing the incentives by creating brackets or handicapping the races. I like the discussion. It's not easy. In search of a solution and just thinkin' out loud.

Senior Member Expert

Re: Thanks, Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by slo lee
    My question really was focused on how to increase participation in races late in the season when attendance falls off for guys not in the points race.
    Ya, i guess that didn't help much then to answer the question.

Quote Originally Posted by slo lee
    Bartman, I don't think setting your own goals and racing to improve your times is quite enough. It's clearly important in order to develop as a racer.
    I partially disagree... But I think this highly depends on the racers personality traits and willingness. Let me explain why I am of this opinion.

As I said last year I was mid to end packer kind of guy in Novice. So for me last year was a bit frustrating because when I did try to look at my times and glean accomplishment out of it, it was very hard. This was because for the most part they were stagnant and not improving. I couldn't get past the blockade in front of me.

Also know that I am the rebellious type of person in my core personality that loves to defy. So when the facts of my lap times and finishing placement told me 'I can't do better", "I won't be a top finishing Novice", "I am not as good as I hoped and am not applying what I am learning into decreasing lap-times".

In reply, I told myself - "F*** You dude.... Don't tell me I can't do something! Watch this!" This was a part of me becoming faster. To me the lap-times show me this.

The other part is that the simple fact that the top 10 novices get booted to expert. "Light Bulb" - was my thought. This means me as a mediocre racer can now have a chance at top 5 just by the math, barring other variables such as super fast first time novices with prior track or racing experience. So I would hope that some of you slower novices are taking this into account that a little elbow grease along with the novices getting booted at the end of season, can set you up to be in the points next year front running. So if you stick it out this year and keep making all the races so that you get more practice and track time and race environment experience, the better chance you have.

Maybe this isn't a well known fact by 1st year novices? If not, try becoming more familiar with the rule book. Read and re-read sections to slowly start absorbing enough of it to see the big picture for your racing career and find any loop holes that may help you gain more enjoyment and satisfaction.

So to recapp; what am I saying? Learn yourself and what drives you, then turn that around and use it against yourself to light the fire under you. Know the rule book and figure out what your personal roadmap is here to the future. And finally, yes... what else can we do to help the end of year churn.
    Kevin #28

'07 Yamaha R6

Senior Member Expert
    So the way I see it there are 2 types of riders, first it the one who is driven to be the fastest racer you can be and I was that when I was a novice(back when the dead sea was just sick). :lol: Second is the one that rides more for the fun of it and is less concerned with outright speed and lap times and that is what I am now. The thing is neither understands the other until that transition is made and most prolly never make the transition.
    To the first type not setting goals makes no sense but to the second it makes total sense. This is a sport of epiphanys and when yours comes it all makes sense and almost becomes easy compared to when you started. Keep at it and it will come, maybe not next race but I have known people that raced for years and were slow until that moment came and it made sense.

Senior Member Amateur
    I'm all with Kevin and I think that more than anything what he is trying to get at is that we are all in the same boat We all do this for fun and none of us expect to make a living doing it! If it weren't for the camaraderie and friends I have made in the MRA this year I probably wouldn't be real motivated to make every race! Granted, you all are the most expensive group of friends I've ever met !!!! So come out and hang out with your friends! If you can't afford to race that weekend just come out and make new friends and enjoy watching... I guarantee you that being at the racetrack watching and not participating for one weekend will motivate you enough to sell your first born child to make it to that next race weekend (maybe a little drastic for those of you that do have kids ) but you get my point! And yep I'm rambling as well but I also am more than willing to help people in any way I possibly can! I love racing and can talk about it all day so come find me on a friday or during a practice and I would love to go out with anybody and help or come talk racing at the end of the day over a beer or 3 Plus my ideas for getting people involved are always waaayyy better when I'm drinking a beer!! I think more than anything if we can make the new guys a part of the family that we have it will keep them around and motivated!!
    MRA #406
    406 Racing
    Michelin
    Speedin Motorsports
    RockyMtnPhotos
    STM Suspension
    Custom Collision Repair
    420science.com

Senior Member Expert
    Good incite Bart, I am with you on the transition, that's why the 250's are so much fun for me, I stopped having fun a few years ago, it got to be a chore that I was not enjoying. The pressure I put on myself was making me miserable. Now it is all fun again. I make racing what I want it to be.
    Ankle Biter Racing #99
    Sol Performance--Scorpion -- Vortex Racing
    MaxFund No-Kill Animal Shelter and Adoption Center

Senior Member Amateur
    wow I just looked at my last post and there are waaayyy too many smiley faces!! ](*,)
    MRA #406
    406 Racing
    Michelin
    Speedin Motorsports
    RockyMtnPhotos
    STM Suspension
    Custom Collision Repair
    420science.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12