View Poll Results: Should we do a pot-luck banquet to keep costs down?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - we will bring food

17 32.69%
  • No - we will pay to have it prepared

35 67.31%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Banquet information - NEED FEEDBACK!

Senior Member Expert

Banquet information - NEED FEEDBACK!

OK Gang, I have tentatively reserved the Summit Events Center (same as last year) for the banquet. The Banquet will be Saturday evening, January 13, 2007.

Here's where I need some feedback. In the past, the club sells tickets to the banquet 'at cost', meaning the club makes no profit on them. We comp tickets for a lot of staff, corner workers, ambulance crews, trophy sponsors, etc, the club has traditionally absorbed these costs and lost money on the banquet. In the past he club has been financially healthy enough that this wasn't a problem.

I have been saying for a while now that the drop in entries, increase in expenses and the $50k investment in the new track have all taken their toll on the clubs finances. I would like to avoid the club absorbing so much of the banquet costs this year if possible.

We have two options -

1) A normal banquet, just like last year. Ticket prices would increase over last year in order to absorb some of the costs of the comped tickets. I am guessing they would be ~$50 per person ($40 last year), possibly more.

2) A 'pot luck' banquet. It would be held at the same place. The Summit would provide all the plates, silverware, napkins, etc, and have a cash bar. The MRA members would bring all the food and non-alcoholic beverages. The cost for this would be about ~$15 per person.

So, tell me what you want to do!
    The GECCO

You begin your racing career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Senior Member Amateur

Bring our own food!

I say we bring our own food!

Senior Member Expert
    Sorry for the stupid question, but if we choose to do the pot luck, why is it going to cost $15?
    Christopher
    MRA 9 (915)
    “I’m just mad because you shouldn’t use the term ‘fag’, Kyle. That’s a hate word, and it’s insensitive to butt pirates.”
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    Chris - you're absolutely right. (Mark your calendar, don't think I'll EVER say that again :lol: )
    Sponsored by
    Short Bus Race Team, Vortex, SixSixOne, Faster, VICKERY YAMAHA, Bridgestone, Ferodo, Cycleworks, Rebellion, VP, Motul, MRA, Unink

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by polar x
    Sorry for the stupid question, but if we choose to do the pot luck, why is it going to cost $15?
    Cost of the hall, their staff, and their supplies (plates, etc.)

C'mon guys, make it a nice event and cough up the $50!!!
    Donna (Bowden) Turner MRA #612
    2006-2009 MRA Rider Representative
    2006 Modern Vintage GTU Class Champion
    2008 Ladies of the Rockies Champion
    http://www.WildCheetahRacing.com
    http://www.wildcheetahracing.com/_borders/banner.jpg

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Cheetah 612

HAHAHHAH this from a board member 'comped' ticket!

I really enjoyed the place last year... the food was pretty good, definately not $50 (or more) worth though.... plus a soda was 1.50-2 for one of those little cocktail glasses

All said, I would rather do a $15 per person to come in, potluck style between a bunch of chips, some meatballs in crockpots, subs from sams or something, i think it would be pretty cool. Besides... the food is never the center of everything going on anyways

jason
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Senior Member Expert
    Is outside catering an option? I gotta think we can find someone for less than $35 a plate that would bring some awesome food.

S

Senior Member Expert
    a banquet hall is not going to allow us to bring in an outside caterer. I was surprised they even agreed to let us rent the hall w/o having at least SOME sort of food purchase.
    The GECCO

You begin your racing career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Senior Member Expert
    can we byo alcohol?

Senior Member Expert
    no, it would violate their liquor license
    The GECCO

While a pot-luck sounds cozy, the problem, IMHO, is that with the number of people I imagine will be there, it would be VERY difficult to organize the wide array of different foods... unless there was some organization as to several different dishes, and people could decide which variation to bring (ie: 2 "menu" lists, and people could choose to bring something from 1 of the lists)
    Bob - #46
    MRA President (2024) - Vice President (2022-2023)
    "Racing makes heroin addiction seem like a vague wish for something salty." - Peter Egan
    Colorado Sportbike Club | 4 Horsemen Racing | R.I.P. 502
    Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end!

Senior Member Amateur
    What if the MRA provided the main course? Much like in years past at the last race. PIG ROAST.

Lurch

Senior Member Amateur
    Glenn, have we already reserved the place and have we already paid something? You know, up until last year we always had our event in a hotel or right next to one. That was pretty nice because you drink and then not have to drive home. What about one of the hotels we have done it at in the past (can't remember the names) or even the Traildust or some other restaurant. The mean would then be well worth the $50-$65 per plate. Just a thought!

As for the place we had it last year, the food was not very good and the drinks were really expensive. And, they didn't take credit cards or debit cards at the bar so you had to have like $50 cash to dink for the night if you plan to buy a few people drinks.

Hence, the idea of a restaurant..............

Thoughts?????

Senior Member Expert
    The traildust was horrible! couldnt hear anything, noisey... food was cold... last year was 10 times what the traildust was.
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Lel399

jason
    Bite me!
    Not comped if I don't get reelected, so vote for me Leleck!

Senior Member Expert

jason
    Bite me!
    haha was just joking!!!

i havent gotten my ballot yet ! grrrr
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Senior Member Expert

Bite me!
    haha was just joking!!!

i havent gotten my ballot yet ! grrrr
    I know, I love you, too!
    I haven't gotten my ballot either!

Senior Member Amateur
    The Trail Dust isn't the only rest. in town. I think with a little pokin' around we could come up with another option or two, unless we are locked in to the events center. Glenn C if you would like some ass-istance :wink: call me.

T
    AP Racing, Brown Industries, Kling Enterprises, Foothills BMW, Ferodo, Suomy Helmets, RK Chains, Vortex

Senior Member Expert
    Jeff Brown, #277
    "What can Brown do for you!"
    2011-2022 New Rider Director
    2008-2010 MRA Rider Representative

Junior Member Novice
    pay the fifty bucks... I do...
    Glen, do you know about how many people usually attend? I work at a hotel you know..... Let me know
    Roberta Lovato
    HarD Core Racing

Senior Member Amateur
    ill pay either amount, but i think bring our own would be neat, im guessing it will be delicious and more creative.
    wouldnt you rather have more members show up than eat catered food?
    josh

Senior Member Amateur
    If I'm getting all dressed up, i would like to be served a nice dinner. As far as the sub, burgers, chips idea, that's like any other race.

I enjoy the dressing up thing once a year... I would definitely prefer a served meal as opposed to a potluck. I like the hotel idea as well... i think that would be a great idea... I'm sure Roberta could help us out!

Tawny
    Tawny

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by bwjunkie
    wouldnt you rather have more members show up than eat catered food?
    josh
    BINGO!!!!!! You can still have a nice dinner and dress up, why do we have to pay so much for crap (from what I hear) food? I would rather have more people there.

A $100 for me and the misses is a Mortons meal.
    Christopher
    MRA 9 (915)
    “I’m just mad because you shouldn’t use the term ‘fag’, Kyle. That’s a hate word, and it’s insensitive to butt pirates.”
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    Chris - you're absolutely right. (Mark your calendar, don't think I'll EVER say that again :lol: )
    Sponsored by
    Short Bus Race Team, Vortex, SixSixOne, Faster, VICKERY YAMAHA, Bridgestone, Ferodo, Cycleworks, Rebellion, VP, Motul, MRA, Unink

Member Amateur

"POT" luck

Can I bring my super dooper special brownies? All in favor?

Senior Member Expert
    While I like the idea of an actual good prepared meal for an event like this better than a pot luck, I also don't like the idea of paying $50 for what we got last year. It was "ok" but not great (though way better than Trail Dust).

That said ... If a pot luck ensues, I assume bringing something is a prerequisite to getting in the door? Rather than some people paying $15 and not bringing a thing while others actually do their part, which I could see happening to some degree.

What about a limited number (to make sure everyone doesn't do it) of increased-price (like $30) tickets for those who don't want to cook, which helps defray the MRA's costs and creates a compromise for those who just want to show up and eat? When those tickets are sold out, everyone else is bringing a dish and paying $15. I also think many would opt to bring something anyway, a couple coming can easily bring food for less than the $30 increased cost for the two of them.

Could multiple people go in on something big (like Lurch's pig roast) together?

Just ideas... May be more complicated than it's worth. On the other hand, some people in this club are excellent chefs and I'd rather eat their food than cold meatballs I paid $50 for.
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    www.facebook.com/MotoLlama
    Twitter @MotoLlama
    Llama Schwag! www.cafepress.com/motollama
    #321! Supported by Western Ambulance, ProRT, Chicane Trackdays, Single Track Mind, Rebellion, Vanmar, Wicked Photos, and my family.

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    IMHO, the food last year was much better than it was the last two times at Trail Dust. If you heard it was crap, you must have heard it from Lurch. Keep calling it crap though, and you'll see what shows up on your plate. :twisted:

Understand that we're not simply paying for a meal. We get exclusive, no holds barred, total access to the place with a stage, sound system, etc... - and we get to run the entire program. Try that at Morton's.

Or we could go quasi-white trash... My neighbor's got a huge indoor arena. Maybe we could get some space heaters and then have a decent caterer bring some grubbins? Then when we get drunk we can try to screw their goats. :shock: Ha ha (or should I say "Baaa Baaaa")

Truly it amazes me that a group of people who will pay $12 a gallon for race gas, and spend between $500 and $1000 a weekend to race won't spend a hundred bucks to celebrate our sport, camraderie and champions. I'll pay my own way this year - just so nobody can pin the "comped" label on me.

Maybe I'll just tack it on to the membership fee for next year, and then the banquet is included with membership in 2007. Do I hear a "second"?
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast