Thread: Brake pads help

Member Amateur

Brake pads help

I am attempting to change my brake pads and having a little bit of an issue. The bike has stock rotors and had stock brake pads. I am trying to go to Galfer pads. However, it seems that the rotors are to thick. After trying to 30 min to get the calapers back on I gave up. Is it possible the Galfer pads are to thick or am I just and idiot?

Senior Member Amateur
    Are your piston flush (or almost) with the calipers? What does the fluid level in your reservoir look like? If you filled it with warn pads and are now trying to push the pistons in it may be too full and not letting you get the pistons back far enough? May have to get a little fluid out of there?

Just a thought?

Senior Member Amateur
    I usually carefully widen the new pad gap by putting a flathead screwdriver in the gap and slowly prying it open. IIRC I have done this every time I have changed pads. Watch your brake reservoir level though to make sure it doesn't try to overflow. In most cases it won't but watch it anyway - brake fluid = bad things for paint. If there is no way to widen it further, you might have the wrong pads or they are sitting in the caliper incorrectly. Good luck!
    MRA #88

Member Amateur
    I didn't even look at the reservoir levels. Is the process not to just take the old pads off and out the new ones on?

Senior Member Expert
    Some pads are thicker than stock but that is not the norm, yes the procedure is take out the old pads put in the new and then check your fluid level. Always double or triple check everything about your brakes, trust me it is not a fun time knowing you are going to crash and there is nothing you can do.