Thread: Long term bike storage

Member Amateur

Long term bike storage

So I'm leaving on a 2 to 3 year trip and have a couple of race bikes. The market is not great for used race bikes now, and I kinda would like to keep both of them for different reasons -- the 2006 ZX6 is just an awesome, well sorted bike and I would be hard pressed to replace her affordably, and the 2003 ZX6 was pretty damn fast in her day and will be modern vintage eligible when I get back.

Is there any way to store them long term without them rotting out during this period? I know it's a long time. They would live in my race trailer in storage. Option one would be to do what I can to store them for the full term (fill case and cylinders with oil, full monty stuff); option two would be to prepare them for short term storage and ask a buddy to drive out to the trailer to run both of them for a few minutes every couple of months; option three would be to ask someone to ride them a few times a season (more complicated, because they would need to deal with the logistics of moving them, replacing water with antifreeze for the winter, etc.).

Please offer any advice you may have that doesn't fit into the above categories.
    MRA #158
    TSM Racing

Thanks to Vortex Racing, Pit Posse Motorsports, Amsoil, and GoPro for their generous support!

On those rare days when I'm actually quick, an additional thanks to Bridgestone Tires, VP Fuels, and Ferodo Brakes for throwing me the occasional bone!

And thanks to Western Orthopedics for bolting me back together!

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
    Just a thought - I haven't used one, though..

http://www.hwaccessories.com/PDK/Mot...e-Capsule.html

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim 'smooth' Brewer
    Just a thought - I haven't used one, though..

http://www.hwaccessories.com/PDK/Mot...e-Capsule.html
    These are awesome (they do require constant power, though). For more suggestions http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtop...?p=71254#71254
    The GECCO

You begin your racing career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.