Thread: Gene Bazyl Memorial Scholarship

Senior Member Expert

Gene Bazyl Memorial Scholarship

MRA Racers

Gene Bazyl Memorial Scholarship

During the summer of 2006 the MRA lost a bright up and coming racer named Gene Bazyl to an on track practice incident. As a result of this incident we, as a community went through a number of changes to how we compete and practice.

Although it was a dark time for the MRA and Colorado motorcycling community, a number of positives came in the following months. One of which was the formation of the Gene Bazyl Memorial Fund. The fund was able to raise several thousand dollars in Gene’s name and was designated to be used to positively affect track safety around our region. A few years ago the majority of this money funded the purchase of 3 new sections of air fence, which our club was in desperate need.

Entering the 2011 season the fund was left with a small portion remaining in the account. In consulting with Gene’s parents, we have decided to use the remaining amount to fund the Gene Bazyl Memorial Scholarship. At the time of Gene’s death he was only 23 years old. His parents have not forgotten about Gene’s dream of competing at the national level. As a result they would like to donate the remaining funds to a young racer (s) who shares the DREAM.

We would like to ask all MRA racers that are under 27 years old submit a personally written essay (of any length and any format) discussing how a Scholarship type donation would be positive to their future educational and / or racing goals. There will be no stipulation of how the money is used. The benefactors may use the money in any way they see fit. So it can be added to a college fund, race tires, track time, lessons with one of the great instructors in our state..or anything that will further the DREAM.

Rules and details

Submit a personally written essay discussing how a Scholarship donation will create a positive effect in your life. Please let us know how you would intend to spend the money, should you win

Please submit all essays not later than Monday June 13th at midnight. All essay submissions should be emailed to joe@rebellionmotorsports.com

Winners will be announced at the July 9th race a Pueblo Motorsports Park during lunch

Winners will be determined in a group format. The judges will be the remaining members of the 4 Horsemen race team , Jenny Locicero, Tammy Schellinger, Jim Wilson, Gene’s parents and possibly a few others.

Essay Scholarship contest is open to MRA licensed racers only

It is our intent to not limit this to one racer. If we receive multiple qualified essays, multiple winners will be announced.

All winners must display the "502" sticker on there race bike (s) and list the Gene Bazyl Memorial Fund as a sponser for the remainder of the 2011 season.

Please direct all questions to me. You may contact me at joe@rebellionmotorsports.com or call 303-961-2669

Thank you,

Joe
    Imperial Sportbikes | Performance Cycle | Galfer | Factory Effex | Motorex | AXO | Racer Gloves USA | | Woodcraft | Armour Bodies | Driven

President Expert
    Reminder! Essays are due this coming Monday, June 13th.
    MRA #29

Senior Member Expert
    Entry deadline has been reached

Thanks to those who took the time to apply

Joe
    Imperial Sportbikes | Performance Cycle | Galfer | Factory Effex | Motorex | AXO | Racer Gloves USA | | Woodcraft | Armour Bodies | Driven

Senior Member Expert
    I want to take this opportunity to thank all of the applicants for submitting their essays. On behalf of the committee that reviewed them all, I would like to congratulate Louden, Zach, Pete, and Spencer.

On a side note, I realize it was hot on Saturday I would also like to thank all the MRA racers for giving Gene's family and myself the time in the day to make this happen.

Joe

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    Thank YOU Joe, and especially thank Gene's family for making the trip.

I know that it was probably a very emotional day for them as we've now brought to a close the Gene Fund - but certainly his smile and the contributions the MRA received as a result of the Gene Fund will live on!
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D