Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MRA Vendors Will Play Nice With Each Other Thread 2011

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing
    I'm having trouble understanding your logic. So if I go buy tires from Oscar, that is different than if I go buy something from 303 assuming I am not sponsored by either? What if I am? It should always be confidential. Some get better deals than others and it's dependent on a variety of factors, not just where they finish in race.
    Tires are a necessity for racing and I pay what the tire vendor tells me they cost. That is usually how businesses work. The point of a sponsorship is to provide benefit to the business in the form of marketing, and or services, in exchange for products / money. How do you market your tire vendor? Since the tire vendors usually don't make a living selling street tires, what do you actually do to increase their sales or bring benefit to their business? By winning. So to back my original point, no I do not believe a tire sponsorship is the same.
    http://www.motopartslist.com
    Buy, Sell, or Trade your used parts and accessories.
    Brad Hampton - RMMM / COSM #206

President Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6
    I'm having trouble understanding your logic. So if I go buy tires from Oscar, that is different than if I go buy something from 303 assuming I am not sponsored by either? What if I am? It should always be confidential. Some get better deals than others and it's dependent on a variety of factors, not just where they finish in race.
    Tires are a necessity for racing and I pay what the tire vendor tells me they cost. That is usually how businesses work. The point of a sponsorship is to provide benefit to the business in the form of marketing, and or services, in exchange for products / money. How do you market your tire vendor? Since the tire vendors usually don't make a living selling street tires, what do you actually do to increase their sales or bring benefit to their business? By winning. So to back my original point, no I do not believe a tire sponsorship is the same.
    I've actually never won a race but I have had tire sponsors for a number of years now. So what do I do to actually increase their sales or bring benefit to their business? I try to send as much business as possible to them, like I would with any other sponsor. Sponsorship at the club level is not as much about what you do on the track as what you do off of it.
    MRA #29

Senior Member Amateur
    I've actually never won a race but I have had tire sponsors for a number of years now. So what do I do to actually increase their sales or bring benefit to their business? I try to send as much business as possible to them, like I would with any other sponsor. Sponsorship at the club level is not as much about what you do on the track as what you do off of it.
    I fully agree. Forgive my inexperience in not understanding how tire "sponsorships" actually work. From my personal experience the past 2 years, all I saw was that you buy expensive tires, and get them mounted. If you are fast and win, then you get better pricing and contingency. If that is not the way it works then someone take me to school.

FYI, this is the stuff nobody EVER tells new racers. And most people, myself included, just take everything at face value.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6
    Brad you're more creative than that. I can think of at least 5 ways to promote my tire brand / vendor outside of winning races.

Thank goodness too, I've only won 1 race in my whole career. By your measure no tire brand would want me.
    MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Senior Member Amateur
    Sort of off the main topic, but chiming on on the recent posts...

Being a cheap bastard for everything I buy, I look at pricing like this:

MSRP > Sale pricing > Friends and Family > Cost > Below cost

Here I would say "Racer Pricing" takes the place of "Friends and Family" 'cause we ain't shopping at Best Buy.

I would HOPE to be able to get everything I need somewhere between Racer Pricing and Cost. As a new rider with very few connections, I accept it will be somewhere on the upper end. If I can get sponsorship from a vendor, I would hope it moves down closer to cost, depending on what value I bring.

To Oscar's point, I would hate to be the shlub paying MSRP so Racer Fast Guy gets his tires at cost (the vendor's gotta make money somehow, I get that). On the other end of the scale, I don't think I would admit to getting tires below cost - that's just bad karma!
    MRA #88

Senior Member Expert
    New racers need to know they will get better sponsorship by being loyal to a vendor/company, if you chop and change products/shops/vendors don't be surprised if you don't get offered much of a discount. People have done this and believe it or not shop owners/managers/vendors talk to each other more than you might think. The motorcyle industry is small, the racing scene even smaller :wink:

Senior Member Expert
    Brad let me put in a way you will understand or may not know, race tires have three prices and I will use my tires for example retail is 563, racer pricing which means any Joe Blow that talks to me at the track 380 and then sponsored rider price if any. There may even be several levels of sponsorship depending on the dealer and just like any other sponsorship it can be based on many different things, for me the most important is building a relationship over time and it more important to me that you send me buisness than how fast you are on my product no matter what it is.
    I had a racer that I sponsored back in the day that said his job was just to go fast not rep the buisness and he could not have been more wrong. That is your primary job as a sponsored rider is to rep your sponsor, running at the front helps but not is everything.

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartman
    Brad let me put in a way you will understand or may not know, race tires have three prices and I will use my tires for example retail is 563, racer pricing which means any Joe Blow that talks to me at the track 380 and then sponsored rider price if any. There may even be several levels of sponsorship depending on the dealer and just like any other sponsorship it can be based on many different things, for me the most important is building a relationship over time and it more important to me that you send me buisness than how fast you are on my product no matter what it is.
    I had a racer that I sponsored back in the day that said his job was just to go fast not rep the buisness and he could not have been more wrong. That is your primary job as a sponsored rider is to rep your sponsor, running at the front helps but not is everything.
    Thanks Bart. It is very good information to know.

I can tell you that brand loyalty and vendor loyalty goes a LONG way. I would not have the support I do without it.
    http://wolfbrigade217.blogspot.com/
    2014 VP of Rules & Tech
    MRA#217
    Th'ink Tank Tattoo, The Walnut Room, Rocky Mountain Kawasaki, STM Suspension, Sol Performance, Pirelli, Speedmetal, BloodNickel, MadMoto, Puma, Woodcraft, Armor Bodies, VonZipper, and
    Lacy

Senior Member Expert
    I heard that Rob who is doing Pirelli this year, may only be at a few races this year if that, anyone have any update on that as the new Pirelli's for 2011 are awesome and I hope he is there to provide the great product and service he always has.

Senior Member Expert
    Have not seen any new Rellis come threw yet Clunky and without him coming on a regular basis and contingency going out the window I don't know how many we will see.
    Carl it sucked so bad to blow up you motor on the dyno, it is just one of those things I don't like to see but you pulled off a good weekend anyway.

Senior Member Expert
    That sucks if Pirelli riders arent getting the support they deserve, the new 200/60 slick and 200 series DOT race tire are unbelievable having worked with a rider in Utah with them. MMP (East track) has always been hard on the left side of the tire and with the new profile and compounds, which are streets ahead of the old design, I would put them up against any tire out there right now. Sure running the right pressures makes a big difference but with the new compounds they work even better than when I used them and won a race or two 8)

Senior Member Expert
    We've never been much of a Pirelli club in the ten odd years I've been around - we've had up and down years and last year was great from a support level, but I had a hard time fathoming that Rob was covering travel costs, so I'm not surprised that with the changes in his business and Pirelli NA's support level that he's not able to come out so much this year.

That said, some of us are sticking with Pirelli's regardless. :wink:

Senior Member Amateur
    I heard that Rob who is doing Pirelli this year, may only be at a few races this year if that, anyone have any update on that as the new Pirelli's for 2011 are awesome and I hope he is there to provide the great product and service he always has.
    I've talked with Rob a bunch, and it is likely he will only be at a race or 2 if any this year. Pirelli support at the track is being handled by Mike Applehans. I don't think there are many Pirelli riders left in the MRA but it is nice of MA to step up and help us out. With a lot of guys switching to Contis and going fast on them, it is hard to see how anybody sticks with Pirelli much longer in the MRA, especially with no contingency.

That said, Rob's support has still be excellent from afar, you just need to get tires ordered online a couple weeks in advance for each race.

Mike-

I've still been working pretty close with Rob as well. The Pirelli's are available like Mike said and service is available through Applehans. I'm pretty sad Rob isn't making it down, but at the same time, he's gotta feed the family, so I understand. If there's anything anyone needs from Lithium, let me know and I'll help with what I can.
    Bart- Thanks man, I guess the trying times are what make us better racers... I hope!
    http://wolfbrigade217.blogspot.com/
    2014 VP of Rules & Tech
    MRA#217
    Th'ink Tank Tattoo, The Walnut Room, Rocky Mountain Kawasaki, STM Suspension, Sol Performance, Pirelli, Speedmetal, BloodNickel, MadMoto, Puma, Woodcraft, Armor Bodies, VonZipper, and
    Lacy

Senior Member Expert
    That's cool Mike is taking care of the Pirelli customers, he has a lot of experience with them and wont steer people wrong 8)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12