Senior Member Expert Vanmar Racing's Avatar

MRA Vendors Will Play Nice With Each Other Thread 2011

Here is the MRA Contingency Comparison for 2011

Michelin = 98,545.00
    Bridgestone = 69200.00
    Continental= 45760.00
    Dunlop=34600.00
    Pirelli=0

<iframe src="http://filezilla.mra-racing.org/files/2011_contingency_comparison1.pdf" width="900" height="700" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
    Tammy at Vanmar Racing
    303-944-0334
    vanmarracing@mindspring.com
    Mark Schellinger, Instructor for Yamaha Champions Riding School- Ride Like A Champion!
    Vanmar Racing

Senior Member Expert
    Just talked with Bridgestone today and they forgot to include F40 and the 250 and are in the process of changing the form. No contingency for the 4 hour at this point but can prolly talk them into it. Any contingency that you did not sign up for we can get it taken care of no worries.

Member Amateur
    That's cool that Michelin pays the most but what about guys like me that have no chance of placing top 5? What's in it for racers that place 6 and below?

Personally, I would just like to see what retail is on 120/180 sets of DOT Race tires from vendors. At my level all these tires will perform well enough for me, so price will be more of a deciding factor.
    Brian Peterman #323

F#$k You and Every Mall Santa That Looks Like You!!!

....RIP Tourettes Guy

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenStrip
    That's cool that Michelin pays the most but what about guys like me that have no chance of placing top 5? What's in it for racers that place 6 and below?

Personally, I would just like to see what retail is on 120/180 sets of DOT Race tires from vendors. At my level all these tires will perform well enough for me, so price will be more of a deciding factor.
    I agree as I am in the same boat, and for me not only price but service and support for me not being one of the fastest. I also know different tires, bikes, etc work different for different racers. Me using the same equipment as the fastest racers is not going to make me one of them. I might be going out on a limb here, but I bet more money is made is spent by those out of the top 5 than those in.

Joe
    MRA # 157
    2010 Ducati 1198S
    2009 Indian Chief Roadmaster
    2012 Ducati 796 Monster
    2004 Ducati 749S
    SW Scooternews, Sol Performance/Pirelli, Rudy Project, TYGA Performance, Boulder Motorsports, Woodcraft, Nitron Racing Shocks, Shorai

Senior Member Expert
    Well since you asked I will give you the pricing for the Bridgys, pricing for the new RT10 dots is 380 for a 180 set and 390 for the 190 set, the older 003 dots are 305 for 180 and 315 for the 190 set and slick pricing is about the same as the new dots.
    I like the idea of have the pricing out there for all to see so riders can make up their own minds as to what tire to ride for the right reasons, ride a tire that you like and live happily ever after.
    I hope the other tire vendors put their pricing up as well so it all make sense to the new and older racers as well.
    Dave if this thred is in the wrong spot move it please.
    Thanks The Bartman

Senior Member Expert
    In My opinion we can go fast on any tire made. All of the brands are very good and once you set up your bike and learn the characteristics of the tire you can succeed on any of them. That being said tire choice should be determined on several factors. How the tire works for you and you confidence in the tire, customer service, price and contingency might be a few. If one brand was all things for everyone they would not have any competition. Decide on what is important to you and go fast!!

I posted the Continental prices in the vendor forum but a 120/180 DOT set is $365 and a 190 set is $382

Senior Member Amateur
    Interesting. Depends on what the tires cost. But for those that are in the 95% that are not in the top 5 its like winning contigency in a way if the tires are cheaper. What do the Dunlops and Michelin's go for?

Ps this does seem to be in the wrong section.

Senior Member Amateur

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    Longevity of the tire is also a consideration assuming performance is similar. If a set costs $1000, but lasts all season it's a better value than a set that's only $200 but barely makes a weekend.

I can make pretty much "any" tire last half a season or more... (even on a real bike) by paying attention to the details.

Tire pressures, proper use of tire warmers, etc... are all factors.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Amateur
    Always creative in our methods to advertise to the masses...

LISTEN UP:

Mike, Oscar, Bart-man, and all vendors--

Although the PDF document above is apparently hosted on MRA servers, it is not done so as preferencial treatment to any one specific vendor and was not done with my knowledge. And, since I am happy to turn yet another thread into another sh!tsandwich, here is what I am going to do for everyone:

If you guys (or any other vendors) have any PDF documents that outline your service or contingency plans etc etc etc showing your support of the MRA, email them to the below address. I will make sure they are posted and you are provided with a link so that you can embed anything you want here or in your threads in your vendor areas.

Email webmaster@mra-racing.org with what you have and I will shoot you back a link to where it is hosted. Only PDF/JPG/GIF/etc please (no .doc, .xls, or other editable files).

Senior Member Amateur
    I'll even start:

Senior Member Amateur

Senior Member Amateur
    One for our SuperStreet friends:

Senior Member Amateur
    Pricing transparency is a big deal for any rider. When you find out that another rider is getting the same tire, $30 less than you, and getting "extra" contingency added on, it doesn't say good things about the vendor.

That being said, I am glad the MRA has a large group of vendors to choose from, and the support from most of the vendors has been fantastic.
    http://www.motopartslist.com
    Buy, Sell, or Trade your used parts and accessories.
    Brad Hampton - RMMM / COSM #206

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6
    Pricing transparency is a big deal for any rider. When you find out that another rider is getting the same tire, $30 less than you, and getting "extra" contingency added on, it doesn't say good things about the vendor.

That being said, I am glad the MRA has a large group of vendors to choose from, and the support from most of the vendors has been fantastic.
    Brad tire pricing is similar to any sponsor hookup. You might be sponsored by a shop for cost + 10% where the next guy might only get cost + 20%. Tire prices are not usually the exact same for all riders as riders who have done more for a sponsor (promotion, winning, etc) can sometimes get better deals.
    Casey D

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by dragos13
    Brad tire pricing is similar to any sponsor hookup. You might be sponsored by a shop for cost + 10% where the next guy might only get cost + 20%. Tire prices are not usually the exact same for all riders as riders who have done more for a sponsor (promotion, winning, etc) can sometimes get better deals.
    Understood. As long as the favoritism isn't blatantly obvious, and it's fair, then that philosophy could work. Otherwise it's just going to breed hostility and resentment.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_g
    Always creative in our methods to advertise to the masses...

LISTEN UP:

Mike, Oscar, Bart-man, and all vendors--

Although the PDF document above is apparently hosted on MRA servers, it is not done so as preferencial treatment to any one specific vendor and was not done with my knowledge. And, since I am happy to turn yet another thread into another sh!tsandwich, here is what I am going to do for everyone:

If you guys (or any other vendors) have any PDF documents that outline your service or contingency plans etc etc etc showing your support of the MRA, email them to the below address. I will make sure they are posted and you are provided with a link so that you can embed anything you want here or in your threads in your vendor areas.

Email webmaster@mra-racing.org with what you have and I will shoot you back a link to where it is hosted. Only PDF/JPG/GIF/etc please (no .doc, .xls, or other editable files).
    Thank you Davie for your continued schooling of the great unwashed masses, not kidding by the way just want to be transparent as other have stated they want. If anybody wants to contact me they can call me at the shop PM me. 303-825-0975

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by dragos13

Also loyalty to your vendor over the years might come into play as well, I have riders who have been with me for years for tires motors tuning suspension and I like to think it is because I treat them right (not to say I have not screwed the pooch a time or two) but many factors come into play with the whole sponsorship deal and that includes tire pricing.

Senior Member Amateur
    guess I will do a general reply and say that if anyone has questions about Dunlop tire pricing then either write or call me and I would be glad to go over them with you. (I promised Dave G. I would not talk about prices or such on the general forum again, even though I already got in trouble for posting)

Also, if you are interested in sponsorship from Sol Performance, its not too late. Contact me and we can talk about that as well.

I defintely agree that last place should get as much attention as first place. When you purchase tires, you should be paying for more than just black round things. Not only are tires different from brand to brand but the whole program that comes with them is different too. HOWEVER, last place should not be paying for first place to race..

Senior Member Expert
    Oscar I love the way you put that, last should not pay for first. I love working with the mid and backpack guys almost more than the fast guys since there are so many ways to help them get faster.

Senior Member Expert
    So by your thinking, anyone with a race licence should be able to walk into 303 and get the same discount as you? You know sponsorship doesnt work that way right?

Senior Member Amateur
    [quote="Clarkie"]
    So by your thinking, anyone with a race licence should be able to walk into 303 and get the same discount as you? You know sponsorship doesnt work that way right?
    I think the big difference here is that you are assuming a tire vendor is the same thing as a shop sponsorship.

It's my 2nd year racing so I don't claim to know exactly how all this works, but just cause you bought tires from a vendor doesn't make you a sponsored rider from that vendor IMO. What exactly is a sponsorship? You toss some logos on your bike and get charged full MSRP? Or should I walk into the Dunlop tent demanding cost on tires. Oscar will agree, I have never or will never do that!

I appreciate any help any sponsor will give me and in return I market them as many ways as possible. I see street riders and hand them out 303 business cards. Does that mean I should start telling them to ride Dunlops just because that is what brand of race tire I buy? Apples to Apples Clarkie.

President Expert
    [quote="vort3xr6"]
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarkie
    I think the big difference here is that you are assuming a tire vendor is the same thing as a shop sponsorship.

It's my 2nd year racing so I don't claim to know exactly how all this works, but just cause you bought tires from a vendor doesn't make you a sponsored rider from that vendor IMO. What exactly is a sponsorship? You toss some logos on your bike and get charged full MSRP? Or should I walk into the Dunlop tent demanding cost on tires. Oscar will agree, I have never or will never do that!

I appreciate any help any sponsor will give me and in return I market them as many ways as possible. I see street riders and hand them out 303 business cards. Does that mean I should start telling them to ride Dunlops just because that is what brand of race tire I buy? Apples to Apples Clarkie.
    I'm having trouble understanding your logic. So if I go buy tires from Oscar, that is different than if I go buy something from 303 assuming I am not sponsored by either? What if I am? It should always be confidential. Some get better deals than others and it's dependant on a variety of factors, not just where they finish in race.
    MRA #29

Senior Member Expert
    Vanmar sells Michelin's, the rider may be sponsored by Vanmar, Michelin or both. The same thing applies with all the tire vendors, they are Vendors of a product and choose who they sponsor. The Vendor sells a product the same way as any shop, they have over-head and need to make a profit to remain in business.

Now if a vendor was selling above the retail price yeah that is BS to me. I told everyone to buy Pirelli's when I raced for them, street tire or race tire and if I was sponsored by Oscar and 303 Cycle I would tell them (street riders) to buy Dunlops from Oscar if they were up north or at the track, and 303 if down in the Denver area, but that's just me.

Like Jim said, a racer's sponsorship level is between them and the vendor/supplier/shop/manufacturer and shouldnt be public knowledge. I have been paid to use a product as well as receiving that product for free, it was never common knowledge how much or even if I was paid as far as I was concerned, my job was to wear and promote their product as per our contract

Senior Member Expert

Brad,

All that being said, I can be a racer customer of 303 even if I'm not sponsored by them, just like you can be a racer customer of a tire vendor.

In order to collect contingency dollars from the tire manufacturer you're required to run their stickers on your bike and list them as a sponsor.

Beyond that you COULD work out an arrangement with your tire vendor (essentially that shop that sells you your tires) for a discount on the product you purchase from them.

That contingency is in the mix makes the tire thing more challenging than a typical sponsorship since most other potential sponsors don't have manufacturers that offer contingency money.

s
    MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast