Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Down shifting while braking

Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer
    Jason Pridmore uses engine braking to assist with getting the bike slowed, and suggests executing one downshift early then getting the other shifts completed further into the braking zone. That's how I downshift.
    Same here. Taking that course of his really helped me, a lot.

Senior Member Expert
    Im a blipper and I also get my dwn shifts done early... I started on a bike with no slipper so I used to take my street bike out and just practice all day.. Every stop sign, light etc.. Id blip and grab down shifts... It really helped to get rid of that pogo effect... I have short fingers as well and use just the tips of 2 fingers..... Ive tried to break the habit of blipping since it really isnt needed on bikes with respectable slippers.... but I just cant.. so I guess Im a blippin lifer. I do use this in conjunction with feeding the clutch...I dont release 100% on the clutch till just about the apex....

Good luck !

Member Novice
    Thanks bluedevil, good advice.
    "I am McLovin"
    "Not at the table Carlos"

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyrdr
    Quote Originally Posted by davy4575
    I struggled with the timing of it for a while. Blippings is habbit for me, but I have an old bike, no slipper clutch. I was breaking and downshifting at the same time last year and that had me all fuggered up. Concentrating on the shifting rather than the breaking is helping me not spaz so much and overbreak everything. I did move my levers in at the perch. My ergos on the bike are horrible though. First funding available, im going for a set of decent clip-ons.
    I see an R6 that is for sale, Davy. It even comes with clip-ons! *cough cough*

I can vouch for Davy's blipp-a-tude. He works that throttle like he's giving it a purple-nurple.

I am a non-blipper. I do have a slipper on my R6 but even on my street bikes I have always fed the clutch and have only had one or two rear tire issues (mainly when I was on the EX500).
    I bought a set of Woodcrafts, Should have em by Saturday. Would love the R6, but cant afford. I blip cause the right arm is strong like bull from off track activities
    MRA#420
    01 R6

Macro Mellon Recording Studios
    Rockymtnphots.com
    DBA Construction LLC

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedevil
    Im a blipper and I also get my dwn shifts done early... I started on a bike with no slipper so I used to take my street bike out and just practice all day.. <snip>

Good luck !
    +1

I am also a blipper and get my shifts done early, but this probably stems from learning/practising on a cold blooded 1000cc triple with no slipper clutch...

I may try to switch up my style a bit now that I'm on the gsxr (still no slipper), but its a little more forgiving to ride
    Dave

Junior Member Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarkie
    I never blipped the throttle either, it's not 1985 any more so you dont need to, and that's not even talking about an OEM slipper clutch that any decent motorcycle has now days.
    haha someone saying Honda is not a decent motorcycle..... [-X

Senior Member Expert
    If you ride the Honda CBR600RR correctly, you dont need a slipper clutch to go fast :wink:
    But yeah Honda needs to catch up the the 600RR clutch like they did with the 1000RR clutch.....except for the whole 1000RR clutch recall thing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12