Thread: Trade my 2006 ZX6R (636) for a KLR650

Member Amateur

Trade my 2006 ZX6R (636) for a KLR650

My plans have changed somewhat, and instead of racing this year I'm planning to take a little trip to Denver, but taking the longer of the two ways to get there (ya know, the one that passes through Southeast Asia).

That means I don't need my race bike. But I do need a dual sport, and I've decided that the KLR is the tool for the job.

Anyone have a 2004-2007 KLR650 they'd consider trading for my 2006 Kawi ZX6R?

I want to see if anyone who has a KLR is even willing to consider the idea before spending the time to post a lot of details and parts lists, but here is an overview:

Overall -- bike is in great shape, minor cosmetic damage to right-side fairings and tank from bowling ball incident in T1 at HPR on July 29. You can see some of this damage in the "slight damage" pic. She was originally bought by a Texas racer from a street rider with some 2000 miles on the clock; Texas racer raced her in about 19 sprint races over two seasons. I bought her last year and had a short season of 4 track days and 4 weekends of racing, with between three and five sprint races per weekend. The engine is fresh and the transmission basically new.

Engine -- 636cc, only one race weekend after refresh by Bart @ Faster (I trashed my gearbox and figured I'd get the engine done while the cases were split). Cylinder head was machined to factory race spec and cams degreed. Power Commander swapped out for factory racing ECU, which offers more control of tune. Conservatively tuned to reach the same 113 wheel hp on 91 pump gas that I had on U4e oxygenated race gas. Runs smooth, power curve is nearly a straight line.

Tranny -- close-ratio tranny from the ZX6RR (600), basically new, only has one race weekend on it after the original tranny gave up on me last season. Includes stock slipper clutch.

Susp. Rear: Ohlins KA 502 (type S46PR1C2LS), 46mm diameter, high/low speed compression adjustment, single rebound adjustment, remote pre-load adjuster included but not installed. This shock retails for $1300-1400 I don't have the spring rate handy, but it's perfect for a 160 pound rider (dry weight ). http://<a href="http://www.ohlins.co...S46PR1C2LS</a>

Susp. Front: stock tubes with Ohlins 25mm cartridge kit. Not just the valves, this kit includes all the guts of the Ohlins RT forks except for the tubes. Retails for $1700.

Exhaust -- full Akro race exhaust. Retails for $1200.

Front brakes -- swapped in 2007 Nissin caliper for the stock Tokico one. Brembo 19mm RCS master cylinder, pivot point swaps 18mm or 20mm with the turn of a screwdriver.

Steering damper -- Scott radial.

Race stuff -- Vortex clipons and rearsets, Gilles rear wheel adjuster and "reverse" rearstand bracket, front and rear stand.

Extras -- extra stock wheelset, rear sprockets in various sizes (44, 45, 47), levers, two sets of Bridgestone soft/medium takeoffs (one set good for a few sessions, one has tread left but feels done).

Optional extras -- I also have tire warmers, compressors, generators that I might be willing to exchange for other needed stuff in connection with the KLR.

Some pics from HPR and Pueblo:

You can see the damage to the right side fairings and tank (this was taken 40 minutes after the crash):

MRA #158
    TSM Racing

Thanks to Vortex Racing, Pit Posse Motorsports, Amsoil, and GoPro for their generous support!

On those rare days when I'm actually quick, an additional thanks to Bridgestone Tires, VP Fuels, and Ferodo Brakes for throwing me the occasional bone!

And thanks to Western Orthopedics for bolting me back together!

Senior Member Expert
    aw man! this post makes me sad to know that your not gonna be racin, but +1 for a way sick bike!

Member Amateur

Race Bike

I hope you found your trade. If not, Price if cash???