Thread: GP Tech Brake Lever Protector

Senior Member Expert

GP Tech Brake Lever Protector

Guys

Some of you may have seen this article on RRW

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...?article=43671

I spoke with Geoff this morning about the availably and he is a few weeks away, however he can make them to order. He is making them for all Japanese, Brembo, Accosato master cylinders. There is also a universal application in the works.

I should have more pictures about the design shortly and will be able to forward them via email

I am trying to gauge interest in a group buy, however the normal retail price will be $120.00

If you are interested I need to know the brand of master, clip on brand and bike make

If you have any questions please feel free to call or email me

Thanks

Joe

joe@rebellionmotorsports.com
    303-961-2669

Imperial Sportbikes | Performance Cycle | Galfer | Factory Effex | Motorex | AXO | Racer Gloves USA | | Woodcraft | Armour Bodies | Driven

Senior Member Expert
    You may wish to check with tech because I know a couple years ago someone showed up at the track with some he had machined from Delrin and they were deemed unsafe.

Senior Member Expert
    Obviously these photos are of a different style bike, But I think on my R6's they would hit the bodywork when turning the bars?
    Jeff Brown, #277
    "What can Brown do for you!"
    2011-2022 New Rider Director
    2008-2010 MRA Rider Representative

Senior Member Amateur
    Jeff, I used an Ed Bargy Lever Guardian for a couple years on my R6, and it certainly saved me from pulling a Westby at least once. It fits to the end of the bar, so there's no interference with the bodywork. Unfortunately it looks like he's not making them anymore: http://forums.13x.com/showpost.php?p...62&postcount=6

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cu260r6
    Jeff, I used an Ed Bargy Lever Guardian for a couple years on my R6, and it certainly saved me from pulling a Westby at least once. It fits to the end of the bar, so there's no interference with the bodywork. Unfortunately it looks like he's not making them anymore: http://forums.13x.com/showpost.php?p...62&postcount=6
    Chuck, was this BEFORE or AFTER your epic fail at Pueblo? I seem to remember, quite distinctly, you shoving your brake lever up somebody's arse and you did a somersault at brake marker 2 at the start of AMU some years ago... Scared the shiiite out of me, AND got my bike dirty from all the dust, rocks, and bodywork debris... :shock:
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Expert
    Jon - spoke with Bart this morning and asking to let me know if he had a problem with the idea...he has not, so I will assume that he is okay with it

Jeff - you are correct the picture is showing a model for the harley which is available today. GP Tech is finalizing the design using several types of bike for test fitting (and they will be bike and master cylinder specific specific ie 05-06 gsxr 1000 with brembo gp master). His goal is to provide the brake/lever protector so it will not hit the bodywork, however there obviously is a wide range of clip on angles that people use and I am sure it won't/ can't work for all...especially if you run bars more rotated to the front than swept in.
    Imperial Sportbikes | Performance Cycle | Galfer | Factory Effex | Motorex | AXO | Racer Gloves USA | | Woodcraft | Armour Bodies | Driven

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    Quote Originally Posted by cu260r6
    Chuck, was this BEFORE or AFTER your epic fail at Pueblo? I seem to remember, quite distinctly, you shoving your brake lever up somebody's arse and you did a somersault at brake marker 2 at the start of AMU some years ago... Scared the shiiite out of me, AND got my bike dirty from all the dust, rocks, and bodywork debris... :shock:
    After that crash and seeing Capirossi do the same thing in Cataluyna in 06 I started using a guard, and I wouldn't race without one again, ever. It would be great to see GP Tech pick up where the other company left off.

And just a tip for the future Tony since you're new to this whole racin' thing: It's easier to not be scared of something if you have the good sense to knock yourself out so you don't remember. Worked for me :lol:

Senior Member Expert
    When I saw the one on Charles bike a few years ago, I was surprised all race bikes didnt have them or werent required to have them... Those are one of the worst types of crashed to go through or see....
    Hope to see these in mass production soon.. Its a great idea..

I think the only negative is that it kinda lends itself to get caught up on a riders gear or bike.. but then again so does the brake lever ?? :shock: If I remember right Charles didnt yours have an arc on it so as not to have a hanger out for all to snag on to??

Senior Member Expert
    I can't see any reason not to allow them, I wonder if the reason the delrin one was not allowed would have been how it was attached. Anything to prevent a brake related crash is a good thing.

Senior Member Amateur
    I can't believe they're not required. I don't know what factors are considered in mandating a safety part, but by any standard this is one of the most catastrophic crashes possible. Since these crashes normally occur straight up and down in a braking zone and inherently involve more than one bike they also pose a great potential risk to riders following. My lever guard certainly saved me from at least one similar crash.

Mine is delrin that attaches through the clipon, much like a stock bar end weight. I heated it up and curved it so it did not stick out from the end of the brake lever.