As someone who was there and working the event, I must say it was handled rather unprofessionally on many accounts. First off, while I understand that Dunlop was caught with their pants down as far as testing was concerned,and has an obligation towards safety for all it's riders, it's hard to believe that their tires wouldn't last longer than they did with the temps just a few degrees warmer than it was the day prior. Why they the AMA wouldn't allow riders to make the choice on rather or not they were safe was beyond me. Most riders have enough common since to know when their tires (both front and rear) are having troubles, I didn't think it their choice to require the mandatory change.
After the first change they actually managed to change their minds and actually mandated still another change to another tire after someone called out that they had mounted last years rubber to their wheels. Regardless, it made the Daytona 200, the Delaytona 147 and I, as a spectator, would like to have my day back.
Personally, I hate Spec tires, spec bikes, spec fuel and I suspect racing would be better without any of the above.