Thread: brake caliper pre-season race prep

Senior Member Amateur

brake caliper pre-season race prep

How much pre-season maintenance needs to be done on calipers each year after a normal clean and inspection at the end of the season? What wear and tear should I be looking out for on calipers with many (5+) race seasons on them that could indicate potential problems or failures? What are people's preferred methods for annual maintenance? I've heard different opinions on using mild detergents like dish soap vs. spray solvents. I assume, in general concept, the methods are the same independent of brand, but mine specifically are nissin calipers off an '01 f4i.

mike-

President Expert
    Use soap and water and an old toothbrush. If you use brake clean, it will eventually dry out the seals and the pistons will stick.
    MRA #29

Senior Member Amateur
    jim, would it be obvious if the seals are dry? is there a way to recondition or replace them if they are in fact worn or dry? i have a set of spare calipers, but i don't know if they are any better than the ones on there. i've certainly used brake cleaner on the bike occassionally so i'd be concerned with that and their general age and miles.

mike-

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by nobasin
    jim, would it be obvious if the seals are dry? is there a way to recondition them if they are in fact worn or dry? i have a set of spare calipers, but i don't know if they are any better than the ones on there. i've certainly used brake cleaner on the bike occassionally so i'd be concerned with that and their general age and miles.

mike-
    If in doubt, replace them, they're cheap! They'll have a very slight taper to them and must be reinstalled in the proper orientation or else they won't pull the pistons back when the brake is released.
    The GECCO

You begin your racing career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

President Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by nobasin
    jim, would it be obvious if the seals are dry? is there a way to recondition them if they are in fact worn or dry? i have a set of spare calipers, but i don't know if they are any better than the ones on there. i've certainly used brake cleaner on the bike occassionally so i'd be concerned with that and their general age and miles.

mike-
    You should be able to move the pistons in and out with your fingers. If they don't move, you should consider replacing the seals since they are inexpensive. I did mine about a year ago. Not difficult to do but you'll need an air compressor. The one's I replaced visibly did not look bad but when I put the new ones in it made a big difference.
    MRA #29

Senior Member Amateur
    excellent advice. thanks jim/glen. looks like i'll just replace the seals to be safe at this point.