Thread: Insurance for Racers?

Senior Member Amateur

Insurance for Racers?

I just came across this link on the WERA boards. http://ridersurance.com/index.php?op...page&Itemid=99
    The original post, http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=283527, on the WERA board said that they needed to have ten people sign up in order to be able to qualify. Any interest in setting up something similar for the MRA?? What do you think?
    (Formerly) MRA # 406
    Taste of Philly
    Grand Prix Motorsports
    Man, I really miss racing!

Member Novice
    It looks like it's health only, is there bike coverage? Maybe, I'm just an idiot. But I already have health insurance.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by TransNone13
    It looks like it's health only, is there bike coverage? Maybe, I'm just an idiot. But I already have health insurance.
    Kyle,

No insurance company that's going to be in business in 6 months is going to insure a racebike against racing damage. You can insure them against theft and other non-racing incidents pretty easily. Call and talk to your car insurance agent about storage and transportation insurance for your bike.

Scott
    MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    Progressive always has good rates on mc insurance.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Member Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by rybo
    Kyle,

No insurance company that's going to be in business in 6 months is going to insure a racebike against racing damage. You can insure them against theft and other non-racing incidents pretty easily. Call and talk to your car insurance agent about storage and transportation insurance for your bike.

Scott
    Sorry for my ignorance, that's what I was thinking.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by rybo
    Kyle,

Scott
    Sorry for my ignorance, that's what I was thinking.
    Actually, I'm SOMEONE would.....but the rates would be astronomical! Insurance is nothing more than legalized gambling - you're betting you're gonna have a problem, they're betting you won't. The perceived likelihood of the problem and the cost of the payout determines the amount of the bet (the premium). The problem with insuring a racebike is that the likelihood of a covered incident is so high that the yearly premium would have to be at least 80% of the value of the bike, if not more (since you could total multiple bikes in a single season).

But, Scott is right, you can get comprehensive (theft, fire, etc) coverage for it quite easily, just not collision or liability. Also check with your homeowners insurance, they will usually offer this type of coverage on an "asset" like this, just as they do for firearms, jewelry, etc. This is how my racebike is covered.
    The GECCO

You begin your racing career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Senior Member Amateur
    Well I guess that brings up the question, who is stealing bikes these days? :lol:

Kidding...
    David "MOBSTER" Mobley | MRA # 78
    Dunlop Race Tires / BlackBerry
    http://www.mobster78.com

Senior Member Amateur
    I might be interested, these are to cover above and beyond health insurance should you be injured. I know that health insurance can no longer deny you coverage if you are hurt racing, but the lost wages and amounts over limit and extra deductibles are the issue. I'd be interested to see the rough cost for a season for sure.
    #91 Triumph 675
    Thanks to: Motowheels, Woodcraft, Cogent Dynamics, Toyota, and Nikkie

Member Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    Progressive always has good rates on mc insurance.
    NOT IF ITS A SPORTBIKE!!!!!!!

State farm has good sportbike rates but their car ins is on the higher side.

I ride with the Gecco!!!!

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmodromico
    I might be interested, these are to cover above and beyond health insurance should you be injured. I know that health insurance can no longer deny you coverage if you are hurt racing, but the lost wages and amounts over limit and extra deductibles are the issue. I'd be interested to see the rough cost for a season for sure.
    Sam,

My job offers AFLAC and it addresses some of these issues and they cover competition so long as you aren't a "professional" racer. I clarified with them that the small amount of tire money I get is not considered "professional" racing since my costs exceed my winnings each year.

Now, if I was actually a "good" racer the circumstances may be different.

Check and see if you can get AFLAC through work.

S
    MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David