Thread: Ninja 250 case guards

Senior Member Amateur

Ninja 250 case guards

Are stronger case guards going to be required for the Ninja 250? If so, which side(s)? I am particularly asking about the newest generation. Thanks!

Jamie
    MRA #88

Senior Member Expert
    Jamie,

Like many 2 cyl motorcycles the cases on the n250 rest sufficiently inside the frame to protect them. Therefore no case covers will be necessary.

Scott
    MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Senior Member Amateur
    Thanks Scott!
    MRA #88

Junior Member Novice
    I'm resurrecting this thread to get some clarification on the case guard requirement for the '08-'12 Ninja 250.

I did a little looking around, and only found a carbon fiber one for the right side:
    https://www.slingshotracing.net/cata...50r-p-263.html

I don't think this will do much to keep it from getting worn away in a crash. But I can say I've crash tested my Ninja 250 no less than 4 times in the last 7 years, and neither side of the crankcase has any road rash.

So do we really need these things?

Mike, #479

Mike,
    I have discussed this with our track marshal and we have agreed that while the left side is pretty well inside the frame, the right side certainly sits out far enough to require some kind of extra protection. It may be hard to hit it if you have good rear sets and clip-ons, but if one of those things fails (and they fail pretty easily a lot of times) it can grind the case down and we are both more comfortable making the right side mandatory for the 250

Junior Member Novice
    So that one from Slingshot Racing (link above) would be sufficient? I'm pretty sure that's the only thing available for the 250. The carbon fiber looks thin (less than 1/8" thick) in the photo, and the ad says it's "for a great custom look" and makes no mention of providing any protection in a crash.

Quote Originally Posted by mkionka View Post
    So that one from Slingshot Racing (link above) would be sufficient? I'm pretty sure that's the only thing available for the 250. The carbon fiber looks thin (less than 1/8" thick) in the photo, and the ad says it's "for a great custom look" and makes no mention of providing any protection in a crash.
    Subbing to this thread. I likewise have not found anything that looks like sufficient protection for the case. Perhaps a custom piece of steel or alum could be fabbed to cover the lower half of the case but the market seems to not provide any ready 250 options (I.E. the Woodcraft case sliders) that would offer much protection.
    ----
    Jim Søiland

Blood Nickel Leathers
    Vortex

Would 4mm propylene be sufficient? Perhaps our 08-13 250R is equivalent to the 2013-2017 euro 250?

https://www.rg-racing.com/browsebike...014/ECC0140BK/
    ----
    Jim Søiland

Blood Nickel Leathers
    Vortex

The CF ones from Slingshot are actually quite stout. I can stand on them without hardly any deformation. I am not sure about the Euro spec 250 or even the US spec 300 but I'd be willing to bet they are pretty dang close. I might even buy a set just to see.
    MRA #85 // Track Marshal
    dc959_racer@yahoo.com
    720-371-7858

Danny and I pulled up part diagrams for the 250 and 300 and it appears that they use the same part number for the clutch cover. In theory, 300 case covers "should" work. Has not been tested or proven.

Junior Member Novice
    The 2012 and newer 250's and 300's might share the same clutch cover, but they are different from the 2008-2012 Ninja 250:

The 2008-2012 Ninja 250 clutch cover part number is 14032-0095
    The 2012 and newer Ninja 300 clutch cover part number is 14032-0579

Indeed you are correct. We had the diagram for a different bike apparently. It would seem that the only option available as far as any of us can gather is the Slingshot cover. I would prefer to see at least that on there. If nothing can be done then it is what it is.
    It seems like a bit of cheap insurance in case something were to happen, although it may be unlikely.
    Last edited by TD675; May 14th, 2018 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TD675 View Post
    Indeed you are correct. We had the diagram for a different bike apparently. It would seem that the only option available as far as any of us can gather is the Slingshot cover. I would prefer to see at least that on there. If nothing can be done then it is what it is.
    It seems like a bit of cheap insurance in case something were to happen, although it may be unlikely.
    Not to be pedantic but are we going to need to order the slingshot cover ASAP or is this TBD?
    ----
    Jim Søiland

Blood Nickel Leathers
    Vortex

Well it's never really been TBD. Rulebook states that all bikes with exposed covers need extra protection.

With that said, I understand that availability of said covers has not always been good (nor is currently...) I will not fail your bike for it at Round 2 given the time constraints and I know people budget for the season. But the bike does need one.