Thanks for you guys input- I did see that CR in the WERA boards, but decided I'm going to build my own, trying to keep cost "Reasonable" by doing all my own work. Plus I have a 5 week old at home, so if I'm not at work, I'm here and needed something to do to keep from going bonkers.

I picked up a 1991 2 owner KX500 the other day from a guy out of the FC area. I was pleasantly surprised to see how good of shape it was for a 20 yo dirt bike. Straight frame, starts in 2 kicks with a healthy idle, etc.

I took it home and having never turned a wrench on a dirt bike, was able to get it to the frame in under 5 hours, with cataloging, documenting and sorting every stinkin' nut that came off it, so I can put it back together.

I took the frame, subframe and swing arm to the wash today to get the grime off, then its on to media blast it and then powder coat.

My plan is somewhat simple- 17" supermoto wheels, prob. some warp9's or a good used set of Excel's. A decent front brake, MC and some slicks. I want it to look clean and uncluttered, with no flashy paint or gadgets. All black plastics with a black frame. In the saving money front I'm going to keep the stock forks and shock, and I'll rebuild them w/ race tech type 1 valves, and some new springs. I've never done that either, so all of this is as much a learning experience as it is to make something to kill mosquito's out at HPR...

As for the motor, a solid re-build, new bearings and the such. I'm going to have the crank balanced to keep it from shaking itself to death, a good con rod and good piston and thats about it. Oh and a high rpm power pipe- used if I can find it. I can only get away with so much gearing, but I'm aware of that.

My initial questions- I could most likely get a 5 inch rear wheel in the swingarm, from what I've read which will allow me to run a 160 rear (And make take off's easier to come by) plus give a bigger contact patch. BUT I would have to shim the rear axle to the right and build some kind of chain deflector to keep the chain from eating the tire. I'm wondering if going with a 4 1/2 or 4 1/4 and I'm assuming a 150 will give me enough rear tire to keep the rubber side down-

Also for now- I live up in the frozen north (Grand County) and there is no place to get any media blasting done. Having the problem that I cant be running down to Denver every day off, I'm wondering if buying a media gun from like HF would be a worthy investment. I looked today, and I can get a mid-range gun for $120, and a bag of walnut shell powder shipped free for less than $150. I have access to big compressors to run it, so I don't know.

I thought about posting up pics as the build progresses, if anyone is interested. Also, who in the club can point me toward a good racer friendly powder coater?

Dodd