Thread: Rocky Mountain Mini Moto to add 250 Spec Class for 2011!

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar

Rocky Mountain Mini Moto to add 250 Spec Class for 2011!

Hey Gang,

I've been in contact with Chris Martin with RMMM about the 250 Spec Class for 2011 and they're excited about it as well! So much so that they're going to add it to their race program for 2011!

Here's his note to me, answering first to a question about "how hard will they make it for the newbies and kids to get on a 250?":

Tony,

We're pretty easy on the rules for first season racers. Our classes don't require anything to be drilled or tied down unless it is a blatant hazard to other racers. What I do believe in, is full leathers and good gloves and helmet for all riders. Even at 40 mph, I have seen some serious rash for guys wearing textiles.

On a similar note, I saw that Honda is also bringing over a 250 next year, and I think this class could be a huge success for the MRA. I would love to see a grid of 15-20 guys racing next year with both clubs. Bottom line is that if someone wants to race, and has the bike, there is no barrier that we can't overcome.

The feeder idea from younger racers on minis to the MRA is a great one, and I think 2011 could be really good for both of us to build on. I will keep up with your forum post and see what interest develops.

Cheers,.

Chris Martin
    Race Director
    Rocky Mountain Mini Moto

This is obviously another big step in creating additional entry-points into the MRA and gives the youngsters a taste on a full-size motorcycle before coming over to race with the MRA. Thanks to Chris and the guys at RMMM who are supportive of our collaborative efforts to fill each others grids!

Already looking forward to the first race of 2011!
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Amateur
    sweet. It's starting to look like we are going to get some nice size grids next year.
    Jon #80
    2011Sponsors: ABATE, All Pro Science, Armour Bodies, Aurora Honda, LeoVince Exhaust, Renthal, Un!nk Printworks, Woodcraft, XBam

So me and Chris ( mini prez ) went to imi and talked to brad the owner and got the Kart road course for our 2011 program . That being said and having the addition of a larger track and the new 250 cup for mra , we were talking about adding a 250ish ( and simalerly sized and HP bikes, mx 250s , ninjas , tz rs 125 , winters franken bike ) class to the rmmm imi race days ??? who would come race there ninjas at imi if we did add the class ??? We figure we would need 7-10 bikes to make it do,able .....

The track would be a blast on the ninjas , and the rm mini race dates are going to be based around the mra scedual so we can run both clubs !!!

Oh ya and its only 50 bucks to race all the mini races and 250s all day . Better go buy a mini moto too .... Haha

So basicly for the cost of test and tune you can race ...

Soooo Who would come ??? Or is there any ?s or comments or concerns??
    #213, still droppin the hammer, butt holes!!! ( 2016 RIDER REP )

SYNDICATE RACING, SOAPOINT GRAPHICS, BLOODNICKEL LEATHERS, PIRELLI / SOL ,SCORPION HELMETS, MAD-MOTO, SPEARS RACING , AMSOIL, VORTEX, SIDI , ROCKY MOUNTAIN MINIMOTO, THE ALTAR BRIDAL, BLU CRU , COYOTE MOTORSPORTS

I'm game to come fly the Ninjette around a few laps... we need to support their program if it's to become a "feeder" for the MRA for the young lads.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Amateur
    I would
    Jon #80
    2011Sponsors: ABATE, All Pro Science, Armour Bodies, Aurora Honda, LeoVince Exhaust, Renthal, Un!nk Printworks, Woodcraft, XBam

Senior Member Expert
    I have been running my 250 @ IMI for a year or so now, it is a great track for it, I would definitely be interested!
    Ankle Biter Racing #99
    Sol Performance--Scorpion -- Vortex Racing
    MaxFund No-Kill Animal Shelter and Adoption Center

Senior Member Expert
    Hey Hammer -- Is there anything in the mini moto org that my CR125 motard would be legal for? At IMI it is downright boring because it is pretty damn slow, but it might be fun against some Ninjettes...?
    dave@MotoSix DOT com | MRA #31, WERA #311

Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.gallant
    Hey Hammer -- Is there anything in the mini moto org that my CR125 motard would be legal for? At IMI it is downright boring because it is pretty damn slow, but it might be fun against some Ninjettes...?
    I don't really see it as a SPEC class. You guys already have that. I'm thinking 250 4t and 125 2t. It provides great additional practice, looks good $$ wise to track owners, and we can go from there into developing feeder classes into big bikes.

I would also love to get a junior program going in the future. Our "farm system" for roadracing sucks in the US. In motocross, you need to race in America to race with the world's best, because we have a great farm system for our youth. In World class Roadracing, one must go abroad to race with the best. All of those great Italian road racers come from a little 100 mile triangle area in Italy. Rossi was a factory Polini pocketbike racer and the area starts them from pocketbikes, to mini gp, and then on to big bikes. Those dudes show up in the 125 class with 12 years of roadracing experience.

It will be a good thing for both organizations.

Senior Member Amateur
    I would be down for this for sure. I won't run my RS 450F though, it likes the big track better with how I have it set up and would be a bit too fast for the rest of the Ninjas. My dirtbike-to-streetbike CRF 450r is a different story. It would be more competitive against the Ninjas and it is geared better towards a small track, Plus, just like the 250's the 450 single is a cheap, easy, available, and fun race package.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by dave.gallant
    Bring it on Dave :wink:
    #213, still droppin the hammer, butt holes!!! ( 2016 RIDER REP )

SYNDICATE RACING, SOAPOINT GRAPHICS, BLOODNICKEL LEATHERS, PIRELLI / SOL ,SCORPION HELMETS, MAD-MOTO, SPEARS RACING , AMSOIL, VORTEX, SIDI , ROCKY MOUNTAIN MINIMOTO, THE ALTAR BRIDAL, BLU CRU , COYOTE MOTORSPORTS

Member Novice
    Hi Guys,
    Lets make 2011 THE season for new riders involved in racing, in this budget minded class. A big Thanks to Tony, for the cross promotion of smaller displacement bikes. We hope to have 4 races at IMI for the 250 class, and 4 at Bandimere, which is likely too narrow of a track for 30+Hp bikes. I see this class as a class for 17inch wheel bikes up to 250cc 4 stroke and 125cc two stroke (MX bikes, Aprilias, etc).

We want to continue the idea of inexpensive and competitive (close) racing. Remember that although power is moderate on these bikes, you will be racing against other 400lb bikes, and protective gear should be a MAJOR priority. Full face Snell M2010 helmets are available for just over $100 and should strongly be considered, if you currently use a dirt helmet.

Our schedule is built around the IMI and Bandimere Kart racing schedule, as well as MRA, so we will not have it finalized until Feb 2011.
    Expect Sunday races, from May-Sept and 3 total races for each class.
    Let me know if you have any questions or ideas or want to be updated via email, on our mailing list.
    Chris Martin
    Rocky Mountain Mini Moto

That's awesome news Chris! Thanks for jumping on board with us and working together to create another new, exciting partnership in motorcycle racing in Colorado!

I really hope we're able to use these classes to provide your younger riders an opportunity to move up to a full-sized bike with RMMM, and then progress over to the MRA on "THE BIG TRACKS" so that we can keep them involved in roadracing - and start to build a legitimate farm system for creating the next generation of fast guys and gals in the roadracing scene.

We also see the 250's as a great opportunity to bring in new adult riders, as well as retain some of our current racers who have found it financially unviable to continue to race the 600's and open bikes year after year!

Already looking forward to 2011!
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:

Member Amateur
    Count me in @ IMI (ape RS125).