Thread: Something else to consider for the 250 class

Senior Member Amateur

Something else to consider for the 250 class

So now that other manufacturers are coming out with appropriate 250's will the 250 class allow their inclusion as well? Check out the new Honda CBR 250.

http://powersports.honda.com/2011/cbr250r.aspx

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    "Maybe?"

No reason we "couldn't" except that we've already approved the "Ninja 250 Spec Class" - we'll talk about it at the board meeting.

Maybe if the class takes off (like I hope it will) we open it up to other current production 250's?

If someone shows up with one (which I doubt will happen) we'd have to give it serious consideration. Looks like its down a few ponies, but also lighter. Cool bike in any event!
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Amateur
    Being as how we just picked up a Honda and Suzuki franchise I would bet on us bringing some.

Senior Member Expert
    When I lived in Sydney I worked for a small shop that used to import 250's and 400' in Australia. Because of the tiered licensing system they were big money, we had 40ft container with two levels of bikes on the water at all times. We brought them in, painted them up in USA colors (USA gets different color schemes to Europe/UK/NZ/Australia) and sold them. The big seller was the Smok'n Joes replica 8)

Mainly CBR250RR's which were actually pretty fast, for back then they would rev to the moon. A little 250 at 18,800rpms was pretty cool to hear

Member Amateur
    INTERESTING....:-k i think i want one.

so what exactly is the HP of the new ninja250's? im reading anywhere from 26 to 32 bhp all over the web? :-s

this article by aaron frank is claiming only 26. with the new honda 250 being down only one pony.

"American Honda didn't disclose horsepower or torque projections, but European distributors are claiming peak output of 26 bhp and 17 lb.-ft. of torque, which puts it in the ballpark with the Ninjette's 25.6 bhp and 13.1 lb.-ft. as measured on our rear-wheel dyno."

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ne...50r/index.html
    .................................................. ..........
    Skullcandy, FMF Intl, Dragon, Epic Motosports, Ogio

Senior Member Expert
    Hard to say really as every bike and every dyno is different.

The one I have is making 30.6 HP on the MotoAdventure Dyno in Loveland after adding a full exhaust and making jetting changes.

The range of bikes that have been dyno'd (all 08-09 N250's) is pretty small, 29-31 HP on a couple of different dynos.

On track they are a blast.

Come race with us John.

Scott
    MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Senior Member Amateur
    Some good reading on the Kawi vs Honda 250.....while we wait for the season.

http://www.cycleworld.com/motorcycle...omparison_test

Took my Ninja for its first ride this weekend.....should be fun on the track, almost dangerous on the street. Too used to being able to squirt away from danger on a larger bike (blind spots, potential lane changers, etc).

Member Novice

Junior Member Novice
    http://www.bennche.com/product/Megelli_250r-specs.htm

Another Chinese bike - but pretty decent ride! I tested one out here in IA last year just for this purpose!

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayden Lee Racing
    http://www.bennche.com/product/Megelli_250r-specs.htm

Another Chinese bike - but pretty decent ride! I tested one out here in IA last year just for this purpose!
    Any more info, where can you purchase one.. and can you get race glass, etc for it?
    Luke, Semi-Expert #199
    2010 Ducati 848, 2005 GSXR1000
    STM Suspension, Sol Performance

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    Hey guys, just a heads-up... for 2011 the ONLY bikes which are legal for the 250 production class are:

Any year Kawi Ninja 250

2011 and newer Honda CBR 250

Thought you should give that some thought before you go out and buy a bike that isn't allowed yet.

That said, the Bennche looks cool and is 100 lbs lighter (claimed) than either the Honda or the Kawi - which would be counter to our intent of "level playing field". Hyosung looks like a Ninja rip-off but with upside down forks and dual discs up front.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D