View Poll Results: What does it take to go fast around the track?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Horsepower Baby! - this is the MRA afterall

3 6.67%
  • Brakes - no point having speed if you cant get it stopped!

0 0%
  • Suspension/handling - "Bouncy bouncy" isnt a good thing mid corner

17 37.78%
  • Something else 95% of club racers dont consider

25 55.56%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: After some opinions

Senior Member Expert
    Ok, so by looking at the pole results and reading the comments, most people think it is either seat time, suspension, or "something most club racers dont consider".

I would expect every endurance race to be full then, it is great practice. I myself have always found it more valuable than just a practice session as the actual green flag/lights kind of gets the blood pumping a lot more than just rolling down pit lane.

Suspension without a doubt! You can't get on the gas regardless of how much power you have if the bike isnt settled. Comfortable is fast, I have had bikes which feel like a couch when riding, predictable, comfortable, and yeah a little "Piggish" (that's for you Ben ) and others that just seemed to fight me the entire race.

So what are some of the ideas for what people dont/havent consider? Having a couple of beers the night before to relax? Fighting with your significant other before the race to get the blood flowing? New tires every time you go on track? (more of a mental thing really) Fans waving and clapping for you? Spending hours looking over your notes, if you take notes?

Member Amateur
    Visualization and some relaxation. You need to visualize not only your way around the track but also wining. You also cant be on the edge, you need to be a bit loose for good bike control - breathing exercises pre-race for me and visualizing my lines through the corners for me. Hasn't improved times for me but I turn fairly consistent laps, have been able to avoid several crashes that happened directly in front of me and recover from potential high sides and off track excursions. Speed and better lap times will come.
    MRA #100
    http://viets-performance.com/
    Big Dog Wraps
    Pirelli / Ohlins / ChickenHawk / XT Racing

Senior Member Amateur
    Rob Oliva set up my suspension at HPR and took the time to explain what I should be feeling for and what it meant. I noticed a HUGE difference. I think mentally knowing someone knowledgeable helped do the set up helped too. Then it did not feel right at Pueblo and Wyeth suggested some changes that worked perfect. Both Wyeth and Grubbs also suggested some gearing changes which again worked out great. I welcome unsolicited advice as often I am not sure what to ask. After that, it is a matter of following the faster riders that pass me watching their lines and what they do. Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. I used to shoot skeet competitively and won a class world championship in 2002. I'm finding lots of similarities between competitive skeet shooting and racing.

Joe
    MRA # 157
    2010 Ducati 1198S
    2009 Indian Chief Roadmaster
    2012 Ducati 796 Monster
    2004 Ducati 749S
    SW Scooternews, Sol Performance/Pirelli, Rudy Project, TYGA Performance, Boulder Motorsports, Woodcraft, Nitron Racing Shocks, Shorai

President Expert
    What does it take to go fast around the track? Dedication, determination, resiliency and alot of heart. Suspension, big motors, brakes, coaching; they don't mean anything unless you have the will to continually push yourself further than you did the last time you rode. In 2006 I was a backmarker circulating around the ROR grid and getting lapped. Other rider's complained to the track marshall that I didnt belong out there. After I was spoken to, I started pushing myself to improve. By the end of the season I was no longer getting lapped nor finishing last. I ended up with the #9 plate on a bike with stock motor and suspension. 2007 I finished with the #6 plate and in 2008 I finished with the #3 plate, and that was doing the last 3 rounds on borrowed bikes with stock motors after mine grenaded. I learned that the bike didnt matter as much as I did. Unfortunately the past 2 seasons have been complete disasters for me. Between the mechanical problems, crashes, and the debilitating disease that has left me partially blind, it was enough for me to quit and walk away. But something in my heart won't let me. Aaron, I watched you win your #1 plates here and in Utah without a large budget, a big tire allowance, or an army of people helping you. You did it on your own because you had more heart than anyone else on the grid.

Some of you may have seen this on my bike (the few times it's been out the past 2 seasons). It's a quote by a boxer from 40's and 50's by the name of Sugar Ray Robinson. It's a constant reminder that I can't expect or rely on anyone else to push me or make me more successful, that it's up to me to make a difference in everything I do.

MRA #29

Senior Member Expert
    Well said Jim. I have been beaten by riders by who just showed more heart and wanted it more than I did. I learned pretty quickly that if I am going to spend a lot of time and money doing something, I needed to give it everything I had. Yeah to some it is just a weekend hobby, to others it can be so much more.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarkie
    Yeah to some it is just a weekend hobby, to others it can be so much more.
    Its my life, anyone who has spent enough time with me at my place hanging out knows that. I play motorbike video games, watch races, motogp, moto2, 125, wsbk, wss, british superbike, supersport, superstock, irish road racing, the list goes on.
    There is a reason why my pantry is full of ramen, and I'm thankful that my wife knows how its been my life dream to do what we are doing. Now if only I could get a nice dealership to help me out with a new scoot :-)

Member Amateur
    This is going back a few years but my best time at PPR was a 1:03 or something like that in the AMU race. I decided to do the AMA race there that year and struggled to get to the 1:02 range. Then Elton Curry came along side me and said if I could do a 1:02 I could do a 1:01. I knew the AMA guys were doing 0:57's and for Supersport all the bikes are fairly close. I TOLD myself I could do a 1:00 flat and went out and did it! In the race I ended up doing a 0:58.9 . . . 4 seconds quicker than the previous MRA race two weeks earlier.
    Mental roadblocks are huge and when you start believing you can actually ride the bike for all its worth that is a huge step in my opinion. The bikes these days are far more capable than most of our level of riding. I already had the suspension set up pretty good and the motor was strong. Just needed to work on myself. A mental tune up pays huge dividends.
    Terry Skogen, MRA #316

JohnGarc
    90% mental / 10%... Before every race you will see me headphones on with a sweet music playlist rockin... Helps me concentrate and also pumps me up for the next race. I used this for years when I played Ball in High School. For me, it allowed me to be totally focused and mentally ready because I would study the game and run plays or do laps in my head tactically, studying, rolling through, every corner. And much also allows me to be a more finesse rider, ala brakes, throttle roll on, throttle roll off, and trail braking... Something I learned this year - trail braking; helps alot to accurately gauge my entry, mid-corner, and exit speed.

I will also add that it helps to watch people crash (ouch)!!! I know... Really just finding out what people are doing wrong... When I watch other riders fall or screw up, toss it... I learn exacty what not to do. It also helps riding many different bikes and learning the characteristics of every machine...

Of course, I am not the fastest, maybe average, but I do ride defensively because (A.) I am old, (B.) I want to work on Monday, and (C.) I don't want to crash and fix my bike... So my goals for the season are... At Least... (1.) Finish second to last... And (2.) Don't crash... So far this method has helped me to overcome all goals in my two years of racing with MRA... wehew...

Because aren't we all just trying to have fun on a motorcycle??? Lets bring that back...

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGarc
    So my goals for the season are... At Least... (1.) Finish second to last... And (2.) Don't crash... So far this method has helped me to overcome all goals in my two years of racing with MRA...

Being my first season, I had the exact same goals...not to finish last, and to keep it upright. Running endurance and a few sprints really helped me learn alot and aided in the transition from a street/trackday rider, to someone who wants to race...Yes I am still a backmarker, but with the level I was riding at this season, I was not pushing myself...at all. Now that I know the bike, tracks, and other riders better, I hope to actually make some HUGE improvements next year, and they should be easy, cuz they are all in my head :lol:
    Dave

Senior Member Amateur
    +1 to both John and Dave. Having come in dead last, its definetly motivated me to push it cause it really sucks. Having someone to do battle for place with has really made me pick up the pace and get out of my comfort zone. Battling with Randall the last few races really helped me to push my limits and ignore fear and instinct that was slowing me down. Also made me capitalize on my strenghts and work on my weaknesses. I could begin to see where and why I was loosing time and making time. So Ive set my goals for next season and am expecting to see good gains as well.
    MRA#420
    01 R6

Macro Mellon Recording Studios
    Rockymtnphots.com
    DBA Construction LLC

Member Amateur
    If I might add...

And I say this to help, not to be self-serving.

I've seen a lot of people ride to the ability of their bike/suspension/tires- and still be way off the pace. Maybe the springs are way off- maybe way too soft- so you just can't brake that hard and can't really get through the corner that fast- because of the springs- so you learn where 'the limit' is, and ride around at that pace because to go faster would be to crash...

So in that case, no matter how much seat time you get, the bike literally won't get through the corner any faster...

Don't underestimate getting the bike set-up close. Some problems you ride around, but really try to get it close before you decide that it's something to just deal with...

Hope that helps.
    dave.

"Helping motorcycles live up to their potential."
    www.STMSuspension.com
    (970) 222-9597

Senior Member Expert
    I totally agree Dave. I have had a setup with suspension, gearing or chassis settings where the bloody bike would only do a certain lap time. I would change 1 or 2 things and drop 1-2 seconds a lap without trying any harder.

Like at Pueblo, I could do 1.32's ok but couldnt get any lower, then once I changed a couple of things 1.30's in practice seemed to come easier. Heck I had to have the bike set up to do 1.30's when Shane and Brad were doing 1.29's in the race, bastards! LOL

Having good data about what the bike is really doing is important. I used to ride by 'feel' for many years, but knowing what the bike is really doing is a big thing nowdays. 'Thinking' the bike is doing this or that doesnt cut it, and trying to set up a bike off feedback is tough as the feedback can be way off what is really happening.

Senior Member Amateur
    pointless comment, but damn i remember you guys tearing around pueblo in 08 and damn... it was fast!

goodness Clarkie was FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it was my first year as a racer and wow i had a lot to live up to --------
    David "MOBSTER" Mobley | MRA # 78
    Dunlop Race Tires / BlackBerry
    http://www.mobster78.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12