Thread: transponder repair?

Senior Member Expert

transponder repair?

I have an AMB 260 transponder that will not charge. the red light comes on but wont charge.

does anyone repair them?
    Benny Tozzi #78
    Tri City Cycle
    Check out Dave@SingleTrackMind for your suspension needs!
    www.fixmybike.com

www.getwellclarkie.com

Senior Member Expert
    You should get in touch with AMB as they service what they sell and actually have a warranty. GoTo mylaps.com for more info

Senior Member Amateur
    Benny,
    Let me know how that works out for you. I was sold a broken one that does the same thing.

Joe
    MRA # 157
    2010 Ducati 1198S
    2009 Indian Chief Roadmaster
    2012 Ducati 796 Monster
    2004 Ducati 749S
    SW Scooternews, Sol Performance/Pirelli, Rudy Project, TYGA Performance, Boulder Motorsports, Woodcraft, Nitron Racing Shocks, Shorai

Senior Member Expert
    So what happens after you leave it plugged in for alteast 14 hrs?

Does the red light flash while plugged in? It should be a slow flash while charging. Once removed (after ATLEAST 14hr) it should flash green.
    Casey D

Senior Member Expert
    Unfortunately, no one "repairs" them (not even MyLaps - formerly AMB-it). I would suggest taking a multi-meter to the charger first to check that it is working properly. You can always replace the AC charger with a trip down to Radio Shack.

If this isn't the culprit, you'll need most likely need to send it in to MyLaps in Smyrna, Georgia. What they will do is determine the amount of pro-rated warranty remaining on the unit, if any, and apply that as a discount towards the purchase of a new unit. I would recommend contacting them via phone (678) 816-4000 to find out all of the particulars. I would also recommend getting one of the direct power (260DP) units and wiring it to your bike's switched power. That way you'll never have to worry about charging it again, and you'll save a few bucks since they are cheaper than the rechargeable units.

The only other option is a company in Australia does replace the batteries. The last time I looked it the cost was around $100 with S&H, but again there isn't a repair involved. If replacing the battery doesn't solve the issue, you're out the cash and however long it took to go half way around the world and back. That being said, the most likely cause is the battery as it is a heart a NiMH "AA" battery with a life span.

One last tidbit. If you choose to send it back to MyLaps, be sure to keep on them like stink on sh*t. Double, triple, and quadruple check the have ALL of your information and order correct. If you have any other questions, please feel free to give me a call (303) 903-5420. Good luck.

Senior Member Amateur
    I have the same problem, and I'm considering taking it to a watch or small electronics repair shop to see what they can do. Chris, are there any special issues with the transponders that are not relevant to normal electronics?

Member Novice
    here is a link to the guy in australia
    http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php...sponder+repair

President Expert
    looks like its under $100 for repair and shipping- http://www.transponderservices.com/
    MRA #29

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by cu260r6
    Chris, are there any special issues with the transponders that are not relevant to normal electronics?
    The real issue that I see is the fact that everything is potted in plastic/silicone. I've been able to cut the battery out of one, but it took such a long time to do it. All of the electronics are covered creating a solid block where only the LED sticks out. I don't think much repair could ever be done because you wouldn't be able to reach the components.

If you were a little creative you could cut the battery out and create a direct wire model by wiring it to the bike through a transformer reducing the voltage to 1.5. I don't actually know if this will work, but that would be the principle.

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing
    looks like its under $100 for repair and shipping- http://www.transponderservices.com/
    Well, it's $75 ($73.40 USD right now) + $25 to ship it each way = roughly $125 plus whatever you pay to convert the funds to Auzzie bucks. The curious thing I saw was the repair order form has no provision to even describe what the issue you were having with the unit, nor is there any other service listed on the website. Leads me to believe the battery is replaced and return to you without any diagnosis and repair.

The MyLaps pro-rated warranty is a percentage. There is a good chance there is still a 20% warranty left on your transponder. That means you'll get 20% off a new one. TranX260DP is $399.00... so it's $80 off retail. You can always try Australia first, but if it doesn't work you're out more than you were guaranteed a discounted price on a new one.

Senior Member Amateur
    I'm sending mine off tomorrow or Monday. We shall see.

Joe
    MRA # 157
    2010 Ducati 1198S
    2012 Ducati 796 Monster
    2004 Ducati 749S
    SW Scooternews, Sol Performance/Pirelli, Rudy Project, TYGA Performance, Boulder Motorsports, Woodcraft, Nitron Racing Shocks, Shorai

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by jmaher
    I'm sending mine off tomorrow or Monday. We shall see.

Joe
    Joe,

Which route are you taking? If it's Australia please keep us all informed what happens. I would love to be able to recommend another option as we all will be having to make this decision at some point.

Again, if it's Auzzieland, you may want to drop the hint that you are the first of many in our club that could be needing their services in the near future.

Senior Member Amateur
    Yep, sending it downunder. I will keep everyone posted.

Joe
    MRA # 157
    2010 Ducati 1198S
    2012 Ducati 796 Monster
    2004 Ducati 749S

Senior Member Amateur
    I sent the responder off Saturday morning. It should be there in 4 days. The clock is ticking.... When it comes back, if it is working I will have one for sale as I don't need two.

Joe
    MRA # 157
    2010 Ducati 1198S
    2012 Ducati 796 Monster
    2004 Ducati 749S

Senior Member Expert
    amb are hard to get ahold of..
    Benny Tozzi #78
    Tri City Cycle
    Check out Dave@SingleTrackMind for your suspension needs!
    www.fixmybike.com

www.getwellclarkie.com

Senior Member Expert
    You must have left them a message telling them I sent you. :lol:

Senior Member Amateur
    Are we using the transponders next season?

Senior Member Expert
    Until further notice the answer would be yes, some of the other options have issues as well so we will most likely stay with what we have until there really is a better system.