Do you have a bike that doesn't "fit" in the 600 or 1000cc classes? Are you an exceptionally average racer, like myself? Would you like a place to share your passion for things out of the norm, motorcyclewise?

The following is copied from the STGTU thread:

"FWIW: If we do a MWThunderBike some year, I suggest removing the Jurergen rule and allowing the TZs back into Supertwins like they used to be. They are a twin."

"There seems to be interest in a MWThunderbike class which would entail 675s,748/9/853/848s/Peironbonbonbons/Buel/other Ducati-CrapBags(tm) as well as anyone from the LWTwins class that would want to play. The 675 may kick the crap out of all of the other bikes in there (especially when ridden by Brad), but I think a 675 versus a well ridden 848 or 749R (Shane) may give him a decent run. At least this proposed class is a great deal more level than a 749R versus a 650cc ladies sport touring machine.

I don't want to fix something that is not broken nor limit the classes the interesting and unique bikes can run in, but TwinsU was severely broken. These types of discussions are the step needed to grow and adapt as a club. I dislike Hot Carl as much as the next guy, but I think a "Formula Oddball" class would be hella cool. If anyone actually showed up and raced it. "

"Do you think we could get 10 bikes on the "grid" consisting of MW Twins and Triumphs for the first weekend next year?

If so, then as I understand it, MRA members can essentially create MW Thunderbike on the fly as stated by the MRA rulebook. (I think? I have never actually seen this take place...) "

" However, on a more serious note... I know of at least 4 675s that would definitely run this, possibly 6 if it's run on a Sunday. I haven't heard any down side to this the way Dave (although he is a total dick) laid it out. It sounds like win win to me.
carl "

" The thread proposed Mw Thunderbike could be a catch all for most of us not running the "standards". 250ringding,675,636,748,749,848, and maybe the 3-5 aprilias that are around. All in the guesstimated 120hp range. I'll even run the old one. Hell, I'll bring both. "

" I think I now see where I might have had better luck with my twins proposal from last year. While I suggested separating out the SV clan as lightweights and the Ducs/675/TZ's as middleweights, the proposal didn't include an additional class to run the middleweights. At the time I thought it would create more of a burden on the schedule to add a Thunderbike class so my suggestion simply changed the nature of Twins GTU and left the lightweights in Lightweight GP. "

" Personally I've always viewed SuperTwins GTU as our MIDDLEWEIGHT twins class. LWGP is the LIGHTWEIGHT twins class in my humble opinion. Last year we made THAT class a safe haven for SV's by eliminating the 250GP bikes and large air cooled twins from the class.

As I thought more about this today (before I saw your post) I came up with the following question in my own mind: "Why are we kicking twins out of a class called SuperTwins?" Is a 749R a contender for a STO win against a 1098R? Riders being equal, no. Is a Pierobon F042 a contender for an STO win...see above. Is it the MRA's fault that SV riders CHOOSE to RACE UP into a middleweight class on their bike? No, it's no different than Dalton or Josh racing 600's up into ROR-O.

When the vote came to kick the Pierobon out it was inevitable that the 749R get booted too, as it's a more capable bike than the F042 is.

This vote also kicks out the 1000 SuperSport, which we have racing in our club.

The crux of this argument comes down to the following question:

"Is SuperTwins GTU a lightweight Twins Class or a Middleweight Twins Class?" "

" Hey. Looks like I'm selling my 2002 RSV, but if Novice's can run this "old crap Italian bike" class, I might keep it and get my but kicked by Brewer every weekend. It would be better than gettin my but kicked by a bone stock R6. "

" Carl, you can add another Duc to that mix, I have a 748 motor now too. "

" Sooo, if we do it right, and add another twins class, I can go out and have fun in another class (yes, I'll have my head handed to me again, but hey, racing up on the SV is a blast). Cool. "

" So, just to recap, in case there is any confusion in what I suggested earlier in this thread:

* LWGP already removed the TZ250s which essentially lends this class to the SV650 and other true lightweight bikes. I suggested leaving this class as-is.

* Supertwins GTU is modified to become a middleweight class that allows up to 850cc desmo 4 valve water cooled engines, unlimited air cooled engines, unlimited two-stroke engines (twin or not), and up to 700cc three cylinder engines. (read: overbored 748s, 848s, Peribons, Buells, Trumpet 675s, TZ/RS250s)

I only suggested this because of the modifications made to LWGP last season which allows an SV650 to now race in a class that is not populated by true race bred machines such as the 749R or TZ250. This suggestion also provides a place for those middleweight bikes to race against (similar) other motorcycles and a way to keep all Ducati riders from causing a full blown holy war.

I think Ben Fox would approve of this message. (He can't be here right now. He is in front of a mirror preparing for his next TV appearance with the AMA) "

" Been there, done that. This was exactly what was proposed LAST year. Here's the link: http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=9674

...And the explanation is the 8th post down in this thread. http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=9739

However, I believe this one was missed at the meeting this year. LWSS/LWSB http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=11540 "

" It sounds to me like between the 8 triumphs, 3-5 Ducs, 2-3 two fiddys, and the countless SVs that would race up that we have more than enough to field a grid. We're not really adding any classes. I don't see why this shouldn't happen! The board can still approve it if they want to since it was technically brought up before the deadline (last year) right? "

" Don't forget about the 3-5 stock Aprilia RSV's that are on par with those Duc's (I was passed on the straight by that pesky 749r and 748ish bike)and probably out gunned by the 675's. "

" Chiming in a little late here but:

90hp sv weighs? 350ish?

120hp 749r weighs, 390+.

has anyone picked up a 40lb dumbell lateley? I have...and really wouldnt want to strap it on my bike.

The hp discussion/argument about the sv and ducati is not as telling as it really should be IMO.

Rybo how much does your bike weigh?
Moham?
Munch?

Show the hp to weight ratios on each of the bikes in question then make some valid arguments based on that, because it tells a real story, not just "this bike makes xxxhp". And it's no match.

In general a race prepped 848 will weigh more than the 749r it has a larger swingarm and frame tube diameter, both are larger in general size than an SV just more mass everywhere.

The 848's on the grids in AMA dsb had to weigh 380, minimum, at the beginning of the season. Then that weight requirement was lowered mid season as the 848's were struggling against the 600's

I'm not arguing one way or the other just stating the facts that should not be overlooked. "

" No, I like STGTU as it is with the new rules!

Let's get a new class called Thunderbike!!! I thought this would go through last year, but it didn't. Run it with the middleweight twins, triples, GP bikes, and the exotics (like Turpins bike).

By the way I seen the sneak photos of the new BMW middleweight triple!

Jeff "