Thread: Rules Committee Proxy Vote

Senior Member Expert

Rules Committee Proxy Vote

Who should we send our proxy votes too if we are unable to make the meeting?

Thanks

Joe
    Imperial Sportbikes | Performance Cycle | Galfer | Factory Effex | Motorex | AXO | Racer Gloves USA | | Woodcraft | Armour Bodies | Driven

Senior Member Expert
    I don't remember if we have ever done that and without being there to here the discussion or voice your opinion I don't know as we should allow proxys. Also remember that what is voted at the meeting is not what the rules will be, the recommendations by the committee will be discussed and voted in or not by the board.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartman
    I don't remember if we have ever done that and without being there to here the discussion or voice your opinion I don't know as we should allow proxys. Also remember that what is voted at the meeting is not what the rules will be, the recommendations by the committee will be discussed and voted in or not by the board.
    I don't agree with that at all. Just because we can't be there to hear what is said AT THE MEETING doesn't mean we shouldn't be allowed to vote. I'm sending my proxy with Applehans and if it doesn't get counted I'll be pretty pissed...
    The GECCO

You begin your racing career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Senior Member Expert
    Glenn as I said I don't remember us ever doing a proxy for the rules meeting and as you well know what gets voted for by the committee is not set in stone, all it is is a recommendation to the board.
    I also see it as being different than say the board position vote where your vote is a hard and fast and you have up front info as to what your vote is for and you tell your proxy who you want. The rules meeting is not on set information but a forum for discussion of the proposed rules and then a vote for recommendation for the board to ratify or not, as such it is important for people to be there to steer the rules. Just sending someone to vote for you does not seem appropriate to me as you will not have all the information to make your choice.

Senior Member Expert
    I agree with Bart and case in point were the twins rules that were suggested last year. I'm not trying to raise a gripe, but the recommendations that were sent to the board were not what came out in the rulebook. Even with several board members at the committee meeting voting by a show of hands for these recommendations they were still changed.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer
    There are 11 rule changes proposed for 2011, from creating new classes to eliminating current ones, to altering how we do things as a club. All of these have been discussed in the Rules and Tech Forum, but the final vote happens this Sunday at the Annual Rules Committee Meeting. ONLY THOSE MRA MEMBERS ATTENDING THE MEETING WILL VOTE ON THE RULE CHANGES.

So please join us for this important once-a-year event!

Sunday October 17th, 1pm
    The Walnut Room
    3131 Walnut St.
    Denver, CO

Johnny Burr and The Walnut Room are graciously offering food and drink specials for our meeting, it's going to be a good time and great discussion.

Senior Member Expert
    Well, yes, if things are changed during the meeting my vote MAY change. In that case Mike can get in touch with me to ask.

Either way, I am a member in good standing and have given another member in good standing written authority to vote on my behalf. It's flat out illegal if that vote is not counted at the meeting. Check Section 2.13 of our by-laws.

I realize that what comes out of the meeting is just a recommendation to the board for their approval, but my vote regarding that recommendation still counts.
    The GECCO

You begin your racing career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
    I wish I would have been able to comment on this before the meeting, but I was out of communication range since Thurs.

Since the rule change process is all about creating recommendations to the board, in the past we've solicited members' input on rules from whatever method possible. The point of the rule meeting was to have open discussion and debate on what was being proposed. It wasn't meant to be an exclusionary process where people who couldn't make it were blocked from giving input.

IMHO, a summary of all comments on proposed rules, whether from the meeting, email, the forum, or phone discussions should be considered. What I think we're trying to accomplish is to give the board the best information possible in order to make rule change decisions, right?

To answer Joe's question directly, I would think Casey, Bart, or any rider rep would be able to represent someone's opinion to the board.