Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ninja 250 Bikes at HPR!

Senior Member Expert
    The 250's were awesome this weekend! I'm surprised how competitive they are at a big track. Also very cool how big our lightweight grids got with the addition of eight 250's. :shock: That was the best LWGP race I've seen, not to mention the huge Colorado Class turnout!

Personally I thought these bikes would be more niche, like only good for a 250 class, but they turned out to be a positive for the whole weekend. I hope everyone interested comes to the rules committee meeting and joins the discussion on the proposed Ninja Cup. I'm digging it. 8)

Rules Committee Meeting
    Sunday October 17th, 1pm
    The Walnut Room
    alcohol will be served
    #145 Wyeth Jackson
    Wyeth Homes Real Estate www.WyethHomes.com
    G-Force Powersports, Pirelli & Sol Performance, CT Racing, Kawasaki, Bell Helmets, TCX Boots, Vortex, Racers Edge, Un!nk Printworks, Motul, Vortex, Rising Sun Cycles, CHR, Attack Performance, NinjaTech

Senior Member Amateur
    unfortunately I had technical difficulties on saturday, and my foot wasn't feeling up to getting on the bike on sunday. You guys looked like you were having a blast out there...

I plan to be putting in a decent amount of time on the ninjette over the winter, and maybe it will be some extra incentive to lose the fat kid suit...
    Dave

Senior Member Amateur

total costs

Hi all,
    Just spent some time getting up to speed on the 12 page Ninja 250 thread (which now I am very late for work because of...)..and getting excited over the idea of a large grid, cheap racing, close racing...

Can someone give a rough idea of the costs/parts/labor (pipe, safety wire, etc) needed to turn street 250 into an eligible race one? I can certainly research it all, so if nobody has a quick answer, then I'll do the work later...just too anxious to hear the answer and have to go to work! Looks like i missed out on the Tony 250's....

thanks all

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    You can prep one on the cheap for about $900 plus paint.

Clipons, rearsets add a few hundred - but aren't technically "necessary"
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Expert
    I ran my stock '08 this last weekend. for this event I was given an exemption on the belly pan requirement by sticking a aluminum turkey baster pan under the engine (not a permanent solution)and ran street body, I fully wired it and removed or tapped and disconnected lights, removed plate, kickstand and mirrors (all easily replaced), and flushed coolant system in about 5 hrs. I am running stock exhaust, which is a huge disadvantage and will need to be upgraded to be even close to competitive, and I just replaced the tires a few weeks ago with Dunlop GT501's which cost me $160 shipped from Dennis Kirk. Sol performance can get these tires for $180 mounted IIRC. The other bikes were running Bridgestone BT 003's and although I am very impressed with the Dunlops they are still street tires and if I seriously race next year I will need to go with race DOT's unless the specs require street tires.

I traded a guy my TL1000s straight across (approx $3000) for the bike 1.5 years ago.
    So for me building mine I am budgeting:

Body work $500 (I will sell of my street parts to offset this cost)
    Full exhaust $400-$800
    Jetting (you can talk to Bartman on that, he has done a few so far)
    Tires $300 ish??

The rest will be tweaking, I doubt I will be doing suspension changes to start with unless it is just changing oil or adjusting preload.
    Ankle Biter Racing #99
    Sol Performance--Scorpion -- Vortex Racing
    MaxFund No-Kill Animal Shelter and Adoption Center

Member Amateur
    The 2fiddy racing was great! You guys tore it up and had everyone watching!

THANKS Rybo for letting me take yours out - while I was 99% in prior - I am now 100% that I will find a 250 over the fall winter and be ready for season opening!

Senior Member Amateur
    I had a blast riding the 250's this past weekend. Thanks to Tony for letting my ride his bike during lightweight endurance and Bart for letting me take his seat during the demo race on Sunday.

Now it's time to find me a 250 for next year. It should be fun and hopefully some real close racing.
    Jon #80
    2011Sponsors: ABATE, All Pro Science, Armour Bodies, Aurora Honda, LeoVince Exhaust, Renthal, Un!nk Printworks, Woodcraft, XBam

I wasn't counting the cost of tires, as they're consumable...

the savings really is in the long-term though. Your cost to run one of these is next to nothing. Mine ran 6-7 times this weekend and only went thru 4 gallons of gas. Tires are as good now as when the weekend started (and they were used to begin with).

You could spend as much as $2K to prep on if you wanted, but imo - that will only make it prettier - not faster.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

I was just telling Casey d. (who is buying one this winter also) that selling off all the street parts could very easily off set alot of the purchase costs . The area p exhaust are around 4-5 hundred I think . The tires are 225- 300 for the "good " stuff . I beat on mine all weekend and they still have the paint and chicken strips on the front . I figure 5 weekends or more out of a set.the other stuff isn't necessary to be fast but personally I wanted to setup the riding position for my style and didn't mind spending a few hun more to be comfortable and have repalceable woodcraft parts in case I wad it up . The suspension i left stock besides putting heavy oil and spacers for preload . The forks were actually too slow this weekend because is was so cold they never warmed up and I was getting some serious chatter full lean. The rear was fine for me on the sofest setting so a heaver guy would be fine on the harder settings . I only use like 5 gallons of gas too .

If we can keep entry fees for 250 cup and stuff cheaper it will be a verrrrrrry cheap way to race in in a very fun competitive class .

Iv gotta say for the first time riding it . They were a freekin blast . When the bikes on the track are around the same speeds it makes for some really fun , close racing .

I can't wait ......
    #213, still droppin the hammer, butt holes!!! ( 2016 RIDER REP )

SYNDICATE RACING, SOAPOINT GRAPHICS, BLOODNICKEL LEATHERS, PIRELLI / SOL ,SCORPION HELMETS, MAD-MOTO, SPEARS RACING , AMSOIL, VORTEX, SIDI , ROCKY MOUNTAIN MINIMOTO, THE ALTAR BRIDAL, BLU CRU , COYOTE MOTORSPORTS

Member Amateur
    I wanted to take the opportunity to thank Tony Baker for letting me check out the 250 in the expo race ON HIS BIKE. I had a great time, and did not expect to be so worked after it was over. I had missed the last 2 rounds due to financial reasons and was expecting a cruise on the 250. Not even close. Even though I am a big guy, the 250 did just great... it was fast enough for fun factor going into the turns and -for me- was all about technique. I think I was battling with Bueller out there, and he showed a wheel a few times... it was so much fun. It was also really cool to watch the fast guys roll away in the turns and see how much corner speed you really can run.

Chris Burford

Rebellion Motorsports

Senior Member Amateur
    with MotoAdventure Kawasaki as the sponsor for the ninjette class, does that just mean they pay mra some dough. or do they cut deals on people running ninja 250's or anything like that?
    just curius i love a good deal!
    Ex500-retired SuperStreet bike
    EX250R...ex500 had too much power.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Sponsors
    My wife

Quote Originally Posted by lars
    with MotoAdventure Kawasaki as the sponsor for the ninjette class, does that just mean they pay mra some dough. or do they cut deals on people running ninja 250's or anything like that?
    just curius i love a good deal!
    They pay the MRA a fee roughly equal to the cost of the trophies for the season and the banquet.

I'm sure they'd cut you a deal as well... they jumped all over the Ninja 250 class as soon Scott even mentioned that we were "thinking" about running it.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:

Senior Member Amateur
    [quote="T Baggins"]
    Quote Originally Posted by lars
    They pay the MRA a fee roughly equal to the cost of the trophies for the season and the banquet.

I'm sure they'd cut you a deal as well... they jumped all over the Ninja 250 class as soon Scott even mentioned that we were "thinking" about running it.
    cool, ill most certainly buy a used bike, i can't see them competing with those prices, but maybe parts....
    thanks
    Ex500-retired SuperStreet bike
    EX250R...ex500 had too much power.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Sponsors
    My wife

Senior Member Expert

Member Amateur
    I'm starting to see 08's and some 09's in the $2500 "asking" range - clean title bikes. Found 1 in Bettendorf IA for $2000 - kid just had a baby and needs the money...

Bodywork, exhaust and jet kit, tires - Approx $1300

Bartmans dyno tuning extraordinaire services - Im guessing that's another $1000 ( JK )

And you have a racer in the low to mid $3000s.... not bad!

Of course rearsets, clips etc... its still a great way to fun racing.

Senior Member Expert
    Hell if you want to give 1000 dollars to tune your 2fitty I will make it REALLLY good.

Senior Member Amateur
    Maybe this will be an option in the future too...

http://world.honda.com/news/2010/2101027CBR250R/
    #91 Triumph 675
    Thanks to: Motowheels, Woodcraft, Cogent Dynamics, Toyota, and Nikkie

Senior Member Amateur
    Ahh crap, forget it, I just read it will have ABS standard.... :cry:
    #91 Triumph 675

Senior Member Amateur
    Rule change suggestion

... Petition to allow Ducati 1198R in Ninja 250 class for 2011.

:twisted:
    I did not claw my way to the top of the foodchain to eat my veggies.

glenngsxr wrote:
    trannies are way different... Glenn #62

MRA #822

Senior Member Amateur
    Uhh, its a 250 single, if anything the Ninjette might pull it on the straights!
    #91 Triumph 675

They claim 26 bhp, compared to the 32 the Kawi's claim - but appear to be about 20 lbs lighter...
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:

Senior Member Expert
    It must be the year of the 250, I have another ninjet in here and a old vtr250 that would be cool as well. Maybe we should just make this just a 250 supersport class and let any 250 street bike come and play. I have been lookin for the really old 250 ninja cuss it was also a good lookin bike like the new one. Hell now that I think of it I have to bring out a 250 Rebel or a 250 Eliminator, a couple of tiddler cruisers would be cool. If you liked the sparks off of Hammers bike wait til you see the sparks fly off of a Rebels pipe. :lol:

Senior Member Expert
    My rebel can only lean about 15° before I am draggin' the stunt cage :lol:
    Ankle Biter Racing #99
    Sol Performance--Scorpion -- Vortex Racing
    MaxFund No-Kill Animal Shelter and Adoption Center

Senior Member Expert
    Thats what I am sayin, if we want to give a good show what is better than a gagle of Rebel 250s throwin sparks everywhere.

Senior Member Expert
    I know of an SRX250 that might be interested in playing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast